any one been put on insulin and been induced?

soon to be 3

Reaction score
hello ladies i was just wondering if any of you have been put on insulin for GD and then been induced and if so at what stage?and how was baby after?im 36 weeks and been put on it today they told me i could be induced at 38weeks but have to see what the ob say as its down to them i really dont have a clue about any of this as my GD only just came a few weeks ago so any advice would be really good thank you so much xxx
i did post this on 3rd to but might get more info here thank you

Hi...I was induced at 39 weeks and was put on an insulin drip and had to have my DH take my bs levels every hour. I was induced on a Wednesday and didn't have my DD until Saturday!! I did not have a great labour and delivery. I had a fever, was throwing up and in the end after pushing for almost 4 hrs..baby turned and got stuck. I then had to have an emergency c-section. Baby was great though. Her sugars were a bit low but she was checked every 30 mins. After some skin-to-skin and breastfeeding though..she was fine and sugars were above 3.5. She had a bit of jaundice but not bad enough to be put under the lights. Good luck with everything!!:hugs:

hi, i was put on insulin at 37 weeks and induced at 38+4 had baby at 39weeks after 4 days of induction, they had to eventually break my waters and 1hr 16 mins later baby emily arrived 6lb 6oz, i had to moniter my bloods on the hour and was also on insulin drip to keep them steady, baby was also checked every 3 hrs and her blood sugar levels were fine, try not to worry and good luck xx

I was on insulin from the start as I'm diabetic anyway. I was induced at 38-5 as my insulin resistance was increasing so I was needing more and more insulin to keep my BG under control.

I was brought in on the Tuesday and had gel inserted, then left to my own devices till the next day. I was having contractions according to a trace but couldn't feel them, just constant back pain.

On the Wednesday I was brought down to the delivery room and hooked up to everything: I had an insulin and glucose drip in one arm, an oxytocin drip in the other, an epidural tube in my spine and a blood pressure monitor on my hand constantly, and a trace on my bump the whole time. My DH had to check my blood sugar every hour.

Once I was hooked up, they broke my waters and started up the drips. The labour was totally uneventful and she was born after 5 hours of established labour and 45 minutes of pushing.

It was actually a really nice experience; because I had the epidural I snoozed for most of it (I'd been up all night with bad back pain from the gel). There were loads of midwives (8 at one stage, though there was always at least 1 sitting beside me watching the monitors) so there was plenty of chat - it was very relaxed.

I had been planning not to have any pain relief, but I was warned beforehand that because of all the monitors and drips, I absolutely wouldn't be able to move once things started. Being immobile is supposed to make the whole thing more painful, so I resigned myself to having the epidural, and it was exactly the right decision in the end, I loved my epi after all the back pain :happydance:

Afterwards I was massively bloated from all the drips (obviously each one is pumping liquid into you!), so I actually barely recognised myself in the mirror the next day - my face looked totally different. It cleared in a day or so though, so don't worry if it happens to you!

Rosie was in special care for 3 days because she couldn't control her own blood sugar - that was because of the high quantites of insulin I was injecting. You'd be very unlikely to get to that stage in the time you have left.

Don't panic, you'll be grand and it's nice to know when it's all happening - there's no hanging around at home wondering when to go to hospital! I'd actually love to do it exactly the same way again next time (without the special care bit obviously).

thank you for taking ur time to tell me ur stories u have made me feel better now thanks a lot ladies xxx

I wanted to add that they can monitor the placenta for signs of it failing if you dont feel that you want to be induced as soon as you hit their deadline

I was on insulin from 34 weeks, induced at 38 weeks, induction failed so had to have a section and he was 10lb 5.

xx

I was on insulin from the start as I'm diabetic anyway. I was induced at 38-5 as my insulin resistance was increasing so I was needing more and more insulin to keep my BG under control.

I was brought in on the Tuesday and had gel inserted, then left to my own devices till the next day. I was having contractions according to a trace but couldn't feel them, just constant back pain.

On the Wednesday I was brought down to the delivery room and hooked up to everything: I had an insulin and glucose drip in one arm, an oxytocin drip in the other, an epidural tube in my spine and a blood pressure monitor on my hand constantly, and a trace on my bump the whole time. My DH had to check my blood sugar every hour.

Once I was hooked up, they broke my waters and started up the drips. The labour was totally uneventful and she was born after 5 hours of established labour and 45 minutes of pushing.

It was actually a really nice experience; because I had the epidural I snoozed for most of it (I'd been up all night with bad back pain from the gel). There were loads of midwives (8 at one stage, though there was always at least 1 sitting beside me watching the monitors) so there was plenty of chat - it was very relaxed.*

I had been planning not to have any pain relief, but I was warned beforehand that because of all the monitors and drips, I absolutely wouldn't be able to move once things started. Being immobile is supposed to make the whole thing more painful, so I resigned myself to having the epidural, and it was exactly the right decision in the end, I loved my epi after all the back pain :happydance:

Afterwards I was massively bloated from all the drips (obviously each one is pumping liquid into you!), so I actually barely recognised myself in the mirror the next day - my face looked totally different. It cleared in a day or so though, so don't worry if it happens to you!

Rosie was in special care for 3 days because she couldn't control her own blood sugar - that was because of the high quantites of insulin I was injecting. You'd be very unlikely to get to that stage in the time you have left.

Don't panic, you'll be grand and it's nice to know when it's all happening - there's no hanging around at home wondering when to go to hospital! I'd actually love to do it exactly the same way again next time (without the special care bit obviously).

Thank you so much for your post GingerNut. I have developed type 1 diabetes whilst being pregnant and for the same reasons as you, I am going to be induced tomorrow in exactly the same way. In fact, I've even been advised to take the epi as early as possible just like you!

I have been feeling quite scared and worried about it but your story has made me feel tons better and now I feel quite excited about going in tomorrow :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->