Any one researching into where they want to give birth?

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
Or is it just me, even though im not ttc for another 2 years.

As iv said before im planning on having a home birth as iv never been admited to hospital, i dont like that atmosphere, the smell or the fact that depending on the time i give birth i might have to spend a night away from oh which would be my idea of hell.

I have also had friends saying ooooo but its your first, you dont know how your going to cope, you dont know if your going to have any problems. Im not stupid, im not going to risk the health of me or my child and if the professionals say there is a problem id be the first one there but i want to get myself prepared just incase they start to get arsey about it if im low risk.

Any one else or am i jumping the gun?

I want a homebirth too - or worst case scenario midwife led unit at the hospital with my friend as my midwife! xxx

I've been thinking about that one too. I'm German but living in the UK and from what I've heard and found out so far the birthing experience in hospitals here is very different. If I'm honest I'm rather worried about it. My biggest issue is being put into a room with 27 other women straight after the birth (no joke, happens at my local hospital). I would love to give birth in a midwife-led unit somewhere but am very aware that things can go wrong and you really want to be close to a doctor if they do. I know one of the Glasgow hospitals has a midwife-led unit right next to the hospital so I might end up there, even though it's quite far from my home. The other big thing for me is that I've always wanted a water birth, don't ask me why, just think I'd find that easier to cope with. And from what I've read your chances of getting to use the facilities if they're there aren't great in most places. So it looks like more research for me...
I can see why people would want home births but personally I wouldn't take the risk. You just never know 100% that you won't need medical assistance and I'd hate to think that if something goes wrong I might not make it to a hospital in time due to traffic or whatever other reason. I guess it depends how far away from a hospital you are as well.

The research shows that a home birth is no less safe than a hospital birth. I think I would seriously have to consider if I lived 100 miles from the nearest medical assistance, but living in a city with ambulance response times of three minutes, I wouldnt have any concerns. But lets not hijack lozzys thread with a homebirth argument ha ha :) ;) x

Yeah, didn't mean to start a homebirth discussion here. I actually think it's a good option for many people who (like you said) could make it to a hospital if things were to go wrong. Was just trying to say that it's not an option for me, mainly because we're so far from a hospital that I'd just worry myself sick about the "what if"s.

I've been thinking about that one too. I'm German but living in the UK and from what I've heard and found out so far the birthing experience in hospitals here is very different. If I'm honest I'm rather worried about it. My biggest issue is being put into a room with 27 other women straight after the birth (no joke, happens at my local hospital). I would love to give birth in a midwife-led unit somewhere but am very aware that things can go wrong and you really want to be close to a doctor if they do. I know one of the Glasgow hospitals has a midwife-led unit right next to the hospital so I might end up there, even though it's quite far from my home. The other big thing for me is that I've always wanted a water birth, don't ask me why, just think I'd find that easier to cope with. And from what I've read your chances of getting to use the facilities if they're there aren't great in most places. So it looks like more research for me...
I can see why people would want home births but personally I wouldn't take the risk. You just never know 100% that you won't need medical assistance and I'd hate to think that if something goes wrong I might not make it to a hospital in time due to traffic or whatever other reason. I guess it depends how far away from a hospital you are as well.

You can get to my local hospital in 7-10 mins travaling at 30mph so could probably do it in like 4 in a ambulance. Research has also shown that with your first labour things go slower so problems that do occur are much slower so you have a greater time to transfer to hospital . I also wont be without medial assistance as i will have 2 midwifes there with me.

If we had more space where we are currently then a home birth would be fine for me- A&E is so close it would be quicker for DF to carry me than to wait for the ambulance!! In all honesty though, I'd probably want to go to the hospital as I'd want the option of the drugs on hand just in case!!! lol! If we manage to stay in Aberystwyth town I'm pretty much guaranteed to be within 10 minutes walk of the hospital so I can keep my options open!

Beca :wave:

If we had more space where we are currently then a home birth would be fine for me- A&E is so close it would be quicker for DF to carry me than to wait for the ambulance!! In all honesty though, I'd probably want to go to the hospital as I'd want the option of the drugs on hand just in case!!! lol! If we manage to stay in Aberystwyth town I'm pretty much guaranteed to be within 10 minutes walk of the hospital so I can keep my options open!

You can have gass and air and pethadine at home hun.

I'm 100% having a home birth unless there are EXTREME circumstances. This site is great:

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

You can have gass and air and pethadine at home hun.

Thanks, didn't know that!

I've had 2 babies already and i was never tempted with a homebirth but i did fancy a midwife led unit but unfortunely this wasn't avaliable where we lived with my first birth and due to complications with my first birth even though where we lived at that time there was a midwife led unit i was classed as high risk and told at my midwifes booking in appt it would be a consultant led hospital birth in the end i had a c section at 34 weeks due to babies heart beat been odd? so now when i have a 3rd i def have no choice it will be another consultant led hospital birth hopefully a vbac rather than snother c section though, as for researching where to go i have the choice of 2 hospitals where we now live (moved again) and my sister has given birth in both of them and from what her experiences have been i have decided to choose the smaller of the 2 hospitals as she had a better experience there and it would be quicker and easier to get to in rush hour traffic or anytime of day, plus parking is better for both my hubby and visitors x

I want to return to the hospital I had Kathryn at. I has such a good experience, the staff was lovely and all of the rooms are privet and are the rooms you give birth in and recover/stay in untill you leave. I only had to wait a long time once my whole stay there (5 days b/c I had a c-section) and that was cause they were busy (though I was in a lot of pain from the c-section and it took them over an hour to bring me my painkillers-it was horrible). I'd be afraid to have a home birth seeing as I needed an induction and then a c-section, plus I needed that epi last time.

oooooooooooo you so have me thinking about this.......

hey Lozzy - yeh, I have thought loads about it and also thinking towards a home birth. I have been worried that my weight might prevent me from having one, but I really hope this is not the case. Ideally I would like a waterbirth at home. The thing that worries me though is that I will be too noisy for my neighbours - but I guess it's just one day really and I could always pre-warn them. But even if I don't have a homebirth, I have thought about how I'd want the birth to go at hospital too!

hey Lozzy - yeh, I have thought loads about it and also thinking towards a home birth. I have been worried that my weight might prevent me from having one, but I really hope this is not the case. Ideally I would like a waterbirth at home. The thing that worries me though is that I will be too noisy for my neighbours - but I guess it's just one day really and I could always pre-warn them. But even if I don't have a homebirth, I have thought about how I'd want the birth to go at hospital too!

Tell me to bugger off if you think im being a cheeky cow but how big are you? Im only asking because im a size 20 and am nearly 19 stone, most people dont belive me when i say how much i weight. iv found a realy good site

It mentions on there all the things the medical staff may say to stop you from having a homebirth and the arguments you can fight back with.

I actually only started thinking about this recently. I haven't researched it yet though. I am thinking I'd like to use a midwife. This thread has got me thinking I should start to research it though! (Yea - something more to research!):yipee:

Tell me to bugger off if you think im being a cheeky cow but how big are you? Im only asking because im a size 20 and am nearly 19 stone, most people dont belive me when i say how much i weight. iv found a realy good site

It mentions on there all the things the medical staff may say to stop you from having a homebirth and the arguments you can fight back with.
Hey Lozzy - I don't mind you asking at all! Feel like I am really getting to know you now and so don't mind sharing! ha!!

Well I am a size 26 at the mo :dohh: so seriously working on that!! I'm really trying to get as close to 17 stone by the time we TTC which I am hoping will be about a size 18.

Will go read - thanks for the link xxxx

Hospital for me. If I had a home birth, I'd probably have to buy a new bed. I'd never be able to look at it the same again. Plus, I want drugs. Lots of drugs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->