Any one using/thinking about using real nappies?

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
As the title says anyone using or thinking about using propper nappies?
Im thinking about using them but know nothing about them. My mam used them with me but thery were the terry towling ones but as soon as disposable one's came out she used them with the rest.

Any info/ideas would be great thanks.

I'm switching to cloth with next baby.

I love these ones: https://www.fill-your-pants.com/pro...pocket-nappy/c32732eadbd21ab9574244d49b6d5440

I plan on using cloth nappies. My mum used terry towling ones on me and my little sister, never really thought about using disposable ones. My kids will probably have really sensitive skin like me and OH so I think its better to use the cloth ones, plus it works out cheaper so may as well.

I suppose its easy enough for me to say that I think I'll do that but it does makes extra work so ask me when we have LO and the answer may change!

xxx

I used them with dd2 for a year and I'm really pleased I did.
There was a "Real Nappy Network" at the time which loaned you sets so you could try it out.
I havent been on the other parts of the forum but you could ask on the baby section if anyone has any advice.
I used stuffables/pocket nappies the most as found all-in-one took long time to dry.
I found alot was trial and error though, the best part though was dd2 never had nappy rash while we used them but also used eco-friendly bio-degradable for bed time as never found a combination that would last her through the night.

Honestly though, as bad as this may seem, I wouldnt be chosing to use them next time.

Theres just that many differet tipes and systems i dont have a clue.

If i was loaded i could do trial and error but im a tight arse lol. I wont cough up for somthing to use it once or twice.

I did think about it as I have loads of "mother earth" type ideas about parenting! However, I have kinda gone off the idea and hubby has said that if we do have them then he isn't changing nappies, which is fair enough as I think it's a bit more gruesome to be honest. I definitely want him helping out with the nappy changing so really don't mind using disposables tbh x

I have heard that 'real nappies' actually consume more energy than disposable ones, because the washing is more effort . I wouldn't use them anyway I think I prefer to shut away the crap and throw it away rather than cleaning it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8E...62C41FFA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IRHl-F4Qbw

Lots of youtube help! :lol:

Ooooo Thanks Toria dident think of youtube:dohh:

Im not overly "green" but i try to make an effort. With me its more of the cost factor.

I plan on using cloth, I am in the process of trying to start up my own buisness making and selling nappies, infact i have spent the morning cutting out some nappies to sew up and start selling :D

I haven't watched the videos as I just wanted to put personal experience on first but I will watch them thanks Toria...
my SIL uses cloth nappies a lot of the time.. I like the eco friendliness and they have some really cool designs!!. but one thing my Brother says is that they don't have the chemicals to lock in moisture so they can get really wet when changing. I imagine that varies from brand to brand though.

They were going to use mothercare biodegradable nappies too but found that he small print says they only degrade in composted areas (so not a landfill site) and sticking them on your compost heap is apparently agains some legislation somewhere... and probably a little unsavoury!!

xx

We use them and i love them, we use kushies which are all in one nappies and ive got some bambino mio coming as well. You can get trial packs from most of the companies to see how you get on with them before paying out for a lot of them.
Also ebay and some 2nd hand nappy websites are a cheap way to try different types

I plan on using cloth, I am in the process of trying to start up my own buisness making and selling nappies, infact i have spent the morning cutting out some nappies to sew up and start selling :D
Do let me know when you do, I'll be your first custommer ( TTC in march 2010:happydance:) as I'm planning on using cloth nappies and will buy them from internet shops, why not from you???

Great thread!!! Must say I've always thought of using cloth nappies as my mum used them with me (rash baby):dohh:. Thing is, she used the oldie white ones just a "square of cloth" if you know what I mean and I'm not quite sure how that actually worked... I will ask her when pg as now she will start wondering and I don't want anyone to know when I'm TTC... Thanks for the info!!! I never thought of YOUTUBE to find out more, I'll remember that, I would have googled!!

Im thinking about it since its so much cheaper. My mum is good at sewing so i will have to ask her to make me some.

Was meant to be a thread so go there for more!!! xxxx

I use cloth nappies and I love them. There are so many out there and different types it can be really daunting. I just narrowed my choice down to 3, ordered 2 of each, and decided which I got on with best. I don't find them any more work than disposables, just chuck them in the bucket and when then bucket is full, stick them in the machine.
They're lovely and gentle on my lo's bum, he got nappy rash from all but one type of disposable and I still can't use baby wipes on him (I'm thinking of going down the washable wipes option now too)
I've got approx 20 nappies now, and I only have to wash every other day. I've spent less than £175 on these 20 and the wraps to go with them. I will need to buy a new set in a few months time as I decided I wanted sized nappies rather than one size but that's less than £400 and then I can also use them again for other babies.

My fave day time nappies are these

https://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/details-02MICROD.html

and my night time nappy is these

https://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/details-07DL.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe