Any teachers?

sannod

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

any teachers here? Do you feel guilty about trying when the due date would come mid or near end of a semester? My position doesn't have maternity leave right now because we are contract workers (trying to get it through union but wont have confirmation for months) I am worried about either being laid off for months before baby comes or having to leave my class only weeks before exams. The baby I just miscarried was timed almost perfectly being due only 2 weeks after the start of a new semester so I would have a little time to get ready and wouldn't have to worry about leaving.

I want to try again right away but if I got pregnant it would be due 2-3 weeks before the final exams, I'm really confused about it because I don't want to miss my chance and hold off and then there is no gurantee that it will ever be so well timed again.

How have you dealt with this in the past or now?

I guess I just have to consider that my family is more important than work however without work I can't take care of my family. It would be easier if we werent in the middle of negotiations with a union for maternity leave

I am not a teacher but I have some predicaments about trying again myself. My dad told me that I can't put my life on hold for these issues. I agree with this. I understand your concern but in all honesty you putting a major part of your life on hold won't be good for you in the long run. I'm not sure how you feel about it but I feel like I need to try this again in order to move forward with my grief. I say start trying, you never know what life will hand you. Good Luck!

I'm not a teacher either but have had worries about timings with TTC again. Hubbi is in the army and the baby i lost would have been due a couple of months before his next 7 month tour of afghan. If we TTC again now he will be away when baby is due :cry: we have discussed it loads and just decided we will be blessed when the time is right and everything will work out somehow! if we kept putting TTC on hold tp fit around his job we would just had to have stayed childless!! xx

thanks ladies,
Your right. Things will work out one way or another.

I'm a teacher, and when I started ttc last year, I was determined to time it perfectly in order to work out with the school year. I got pregnant right when I wanted to, then I miscarried, and was so disappointed that I would have to wait another entire year, or leave timing up to fate. I started ttc again right away, got pregnant quickly, and was still ok with my timing.... wasn't perfect but was still over summer break.
I miscarried again... and I finally decided that I wasn't going to plan or time anything anymore. I was determined NOT to count cycle days, NOT to decide when was a 'good time'.... just to let it be. My first two children were (welcome but unexpected) surprises... unplanned...earlier than we would have liked them to come along... spaced closer than we would have chosen to do... and my pregnancies were problem-free.
Now that I started planning and timing, I'm plagued by miscarriage and doubt.

So no more planning or timing for me.... I just let it happen.

Are you a teacher in U.S. or U.K.? If you're in U.S., even if the union is under negotiation for maternity leave, there is simply NO WAY that going on maternity leave could affect your job in any way. Layoffs are always done based on seniority only, and schools are just ASKING for legal trouble if they try to mess with someone's job for 'bad timing on their maternity leave'.

If you're U.K.... I don't know how that works. But I still can't imagine it would affect your job... most women have little control over when they get pregnant.

Oops...sorry... I see you are from Canada. Not US or UK. :) Still would be hard to believe that your maternity leave timing could affect your job.

I am a teacher, I was the same. I timed it, got pregnant and then miscarried. I am starting a new job in september and just found out I am pregnant again. I am going to feel really guilty telling the school but at the end the day this is more important and so I wouldn't worry about timing it, just go for it and don't worry. At the end of the day , our bodies will do what they like anyway and if you wait it could take a while. Good luck, luv and hugs xxx

How can they lay you off because you are pregnant? I also live in Canada, and am a teacher. Even if your job is temporary, they can't legally do that.

Hi ladies, thank you

My job is threatened because we are on contracts and if that contract comes up during your government legislated time off they don't legally have to give you your position back. I am an ESL teacher with a private university program. Technically as it stands we have no organised seniority so if I cannot hold up the terms of my employment ie: finish the semester then they right now have the right to say I don't qualify for the contract. But I think I agree I won't wait I'm just going to let it happen as it is and hope for the best. It's always possible that they will be more accomodating than I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->