Any UK Emigrants to Australia?/ Australians

brownlieB

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Hi all,

I figured as this was an international site, i'd see if anyone made the move from UK to Australia?

Was it what you thought it would be? What area did you go to? Did you have any children before you went? where would you recommend for a small family thinking of making the move.

And any Australians reading this where are you from tell me about you're area.

Hubby and I are seriously thinking of making the hop over in a couple of years and are researching the different areas.

We want somewhere for familes, outdoor space and things to do, near a hospital for work reasons.

Going to be watching this thread as we maybe moving to Oz in a couple of years :)

i.l be watching this, OH is a born kiwi and we.ll be making the move 1 day our selves

We emigrated to NZ just under 2 years ago. Best thing we ever did and wild horses wouldn't drag me back!

Feel free to pm me any questions :flow:

Hi, DH & I made the move over from Cardiff to Sydney in Nov'08 - LO was born here. In terms of work it's been great for our careers, but also recently voted Australia's least livable city due to high property prices/ rental prices & commuting costs/ traffic.
We live in the Northern Beaches area of the city, which is family friendly, but can be $$$.
OH works in the city & usually takes him 50-60 minutes each way.
Healthcare system funding can be a bit of shock after the NHS, in that some things are 'free' (fully paid for by Medicare), others are paid in full (by you) then part refunded. Then there's health insurance which can cover the gap... But the quality of care seems to be better - my ante-natal care & birth were well catered for in a public hospital.

Almost forgot, but we came out on general skilled migration visa's (permanent residency) - that may or may not make a difference.

HTH - if you've any more q's I'll do my best to help...

Hi, I moved to Australia when I was 21, around 11 years ago. I met my now husband, who is Australian, in Wales. I lived in the suburbs of Sydney for 8 years, then moved to the NSW South Coast. We didn't have any children when we moved, we now have a 7 week old baby. Sydney is a wonderful city, but can be expensive - the same as any major city. It is gorgeous though :) We lived in the suburbs, it took about 30mins to drive into the city. There are plenty of train lines. I think the wages are generally better than what you would get in the UK and there seems to be plenty of work. I now live in a rural area, which is a lot quieter but very safe and beautiful ( I live next to the beach). I have heard that a good place to live is in WA - maybe Perth. There are a few mines over there so there is usually plenty of work with good wages. I don't know if you like the heat, but being Australia it can get very hot during the summer. Everything is airconditioned though :happydance: When you have a baby here you used to just get a baby bonus of $5000, but they have just introduced a paid maternity leave scheme (although some employers pay maternity leave). I could probably go on for a while, but I hope this is of some help.

I am a new immigrant to Australia - but from Canada. Back in Canada I worked with a lady from the UK who had considered immigrating to Australia but she and her husband chose Canada instead after finding the statistics of people returning to the UK after immigrating to Australia being so high. I'm not sure why that is though.

It's a lovely country and I'm sure you'll love it here if you decide to come though :)

Thankyou for all your replies, we have heard that there are a high amount of immigrants returning too, a third!! maybe it's just such a big move I don't know.

We are both eligible for skilled migrant visas and from what we've researched being a nurse my visa would be fast tracked.

We've decided that we would rent to start with and once we were settled then apply for a mortgage (after 2 yrs which I think is the waiting period)

People that have moved how did you find making new friends etc? Do you return very much? Or are family able to visit you at all?

My parents return to Canada every year at least, sometimes twice a year. They've had a few people come down to visit them, but not as many as they expected. (Everyone always says "Oh we've always wanted to go to Australia, now we have an excuse and someone to stay with" but they seldom actually come)

I don't know what the flight cost in the UK vs here would be, but my parents have found it much cheaper to get return flights from Canada. So when they're in Canada they book a return flight to Australia, open ended for a year unless they know for sure when they'll be returning next. And they usually go with different airlines so they can stop in say Fiji on the way to Canada for a couple of days and Japan on the way back to Australia for example.

If you're a nurse, then you'll have no trouble getting over here and basically being located wherever you want to settle.

I'm not sure what the waiting period is for a mortgage. DH and I aren't in a position yet to be able to buy, and we're not sure if we're going to settle here permanently (I want to, but DH isn't sure). My parents bought their house less than a year after moving here though, in 2006.

lives on the Central Coast which is about an 1 or so drive out of Sydney- the Coast (as its called by the people who live here) is VERY! family friendly!! :)

I've not immigrated so i can't help you there but i can help you research areas & send you any info that might help you make up your mind- also happy to be a lunch/ coffee date IF/ WHEN you move :D

Hey Carissa, I'm probably only 3-31/2 hours north of you :)

Hey Carissa, I'm probably only 3-31/2 hours north of you :)

:waves: Hello! :)

Being 3 or so hours away you could be anywhere!? :) hehehehe I like seeing more aussies on here- if you ever wana chat?! :) :coffee:

My dh is a mental health nurse, so are looking to either skilled or sponsored migration. Can't wait to make the move but it is o expensive just to do the visas :shock:
Whats the schools like in Oz? have they got a good school system?

My parents are both school teachers here, and are quite impressed with the standards. Probably better off in the Catholic/private schools than the public though, but it's a matter of opinion really.

People that have moved how did you find making new friends etc? Do you return very much? Or are family able to visit you at all?

The first year was hard, as it was such a big move with only each other for support (we sold up, moved without jobs just after the GFC), but are just getting a good group of friends going now - a real multi-cultural mix!
We've been back twice but mainly because of LO & parents haven't yet visited.
They've been itching to, but OH's parents have been waiting for assurance policies to mature & for inheritance to materialize to finance their trip. My parents are waiting for mother's health issues to resolved (waiting for surgery after taking over 3 years to get a diagnosis) - she finds it painful to do the 2.5 hour road trip from South Wales to South London!
Plenty of other family want to visit too, but in reality we've only seen my Uncke & Aunt when they did a reccy visit.

Me :)

I moved from Carins to the UK with my Mother when i was a kid , i took the move back to Cairns in 2005 from Uk.

It is the most amazing Beautiful place , it has so much to offer , so much to do and look at , beautiful rainforests , beaches ( amazing shopping malls) it really has it all :)

This is one of my fav places , although quite busy this is a swimming lagoon opposite the beach https://www.cairnsqld.com.au/images/cairns-swimming.jpg

Deffenitly rent a apartment , you can usually get them full furnished too, also good price :)

Oh and Carins has a lovely hospital , i gave birth to my oldest daughter , its right across from the beach! I deffenitly recommend , although one down side , when it gets hot it gets HOT.

Forgot to add i am back in UK due to my OH only going out on a work visa , and it was easier to get a visa if we went back to the UK and re applied from there , we will be going back out to Cairns in the near future :)

I have always wanted to go to Australia.. I am hoping that one day I can.

Me :)

I moved from Carins to the UK with my Mother when i was a kid , i took the move back to Cairns in 2005 from Uk.

It is the most amazing Beautiful place , it has so much to offer , so much to do and look at , beautiful rainforests , beaches ( amazing shopping malls) it really has it all :)

This is one of my fav places , although quite busy this is a swimming lagoon opposite the beach https://www.cairnsqld.com.au/images/cairns-swimming.jpg

Deffenitly rent a apartment , you can usually get them full furnished too, also good price :)

Oh and Carins has a lovely hospital , i gave birth to my oldest daughter , its right across from the beach! I deffenitly recommend , although one down side , when it gets hot it gets HOT.

Forgot to add i am back in UK due to my OH only going out on a work visa , and it was easier to get a visa if we went back to the UK and re applied from there , we will be going back out to Cairns in the near future :)

I was reading your post thinking" i hope she was ok during the cyclone!"

Hey....

Just found this thread....

We are also planning to head back over in 2013. I worked in both Canberra and Sydney from 1998-2000 and loved my time there, I was sponsored as a Nurse to work over there by Drake Medox.

I am sure it has changed but i really loved the lifestyle and remember thinking when I have children I will def come back! My OH is from South Africa originally so he is looking forward to the weather!!

We have no family out there but a few good friends, and I found before if you throw yourself into the lifestyle and just head out and meet people, most people are so welcoming and friendly.

After lots of research we are planning on heading to the southern part of the Central coast it seems commutable to Sydney and has some beautiful scenery/beaches/outdoor lifestyle. Although Carissasbump will know better than me!!

If you get a chance at all then try and head over for a holiday with some areas in mind, if not just go for it.... what do you have to lose, I feel I would rather go, regret it and come back, rather that regret not even trying it!

Also I think it sounds like you are considering the perm res visa.... I would recommend this, the only prob i found with being sponsored was if you found yourself in a hosp/ job you didn't like then you are a bit stuck and the perm res is much more flexible, so I will be going for that this time!

Keep me posted..... Good luck
xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->