Any Vegan/Veggie UK momas? How was the NHS with you?

MrsClark24

Reaction score
I've got my first appt with a midwife soon and this is my second pregnancy. I went vegan a year a go and I've heard some horror stories about when vegan or veggie momas go for ante natal...

Anyone had any experience of this? Positive or negative? I'm nervous about what they will say!

Can you do prenatals?
They might respond badly out of ignorance. If so, ask if they can do a full blood screen to check fr deficits if they believe the diet is insufficient. Good Luck! I hope you get a great midwife!

I would prepare yourself for a basic lecture in the benefits of a well rounded diet. That said although not vegan I have gone completely off meat this entire pregnancy and I think I could count on one hand the amount of meat I've eaten and I'm in 3rd tri. Not only is baby measuring bang on target but I've never been healthier and my MW has no issues with my eating aside from consuming more bread/pasta even when I said I can't as it makes me bloat and is uncomfortable. I can gain carbs through other sources and the protein etc that meat provides can be gained from other foods too.

I would ebe prepared for a bit of a lecture on the nessesity of a varied and balanced diet but so long as you are confident about your dietary decision you'll be fine. If you are confident that it is the right choice for you and baby, the midwife will probably back off quickly or be very understanding of your choices.

I'm vegan and my midwife is vegetarian so she was really supportive! If anyone starts on you then remind them of your screening blood haemoglobin levels...mine were 12.5 which is fantastic. As long as you're taking pregnacare and eating plenty of calcium/iron rich foods to maintain your levels then no one can have a pop at you! Not that they should anyway x

Also, don't forget we are omnivores, we don't *need* meat to survive or live healthily. If all your iron/calcium/protein etc comes from plant based sources it makes no difference to your overall health, in fact it's probably better for you as its not pumped full of antibiotics etc!

I am veggie and this is my 3rd, they have always been supportive and just made sure I take the pregnacare & get iron / fruit & veg etc. xx

I'm not veggie but my husband is and I eat very little meat. Even less since pregnancy as I've gone off it. I told my midwife this and she wasn't fussed at all, she said loads if healthy mums are vegan.

Thank you ladies, I feel a bit better. I'm very confident in my choices and I feel better than I did when I ate animal products. Its good to hear some NHS professionals are understanding :)

I'm veggie. I asked my doctor before ttc and he didn't expect it to be a problem as i was a healthy weight. Now i'm pregnant my midwife doesn't seem too bothered as my bloods have all come back in normal range and i'm taking my vitamins :) Never had any experience with nhs having a problem with my diet. really dont worry about it xxxx

This is my baby number 6. I very very rarely eat meat - never red meat. I have never been asked about my diet choices, ever!

I think the only thing they worry about are your vitamin b12 levels as this comes from eating things like meat and eggs. You can also suppliment, the uk vegan society actually recommends supplimenting it, the only way it comes into plant matter is through manure but its a very small amount.

You can also eat fortified foods which have synthetically added vitamin b12, and some meat eaters are also deficient.

https://www.vegansociety.com/resour...rals-and-nutrients/vitamin-b12-your-key-facts

The other question usually asked is iron, there are two types of iron, haem-iron (usually red meat) and non-haem-iron (plant matter). Haem iron is more bioavailable and so you need to eat a bigger yield of this in order to absorb the same iron, however this is also very achievable and there should be no problems.

Happy and healthy pregnancy to you. :thumbup:

I'm veggie and have never even been asked about my diet, if anything I think I've mentioned it when they list the foods you can't eat. I've always needed iron tablets too but still the midwives haven't mentioned my diet

I don't see why it would come up.... They don't ask others if they drink coke or eat crap, so why would they feel it an issue if you eat an all veg diet?! If anyone tells you off, tell them to mind their own business.....

Congratulations on your pregnancy x

I was vegan with my first (very healthy now 3 year old) and still am with this one. My iron levels were great through the whole of my pregnancy (which the midwives were surprised about). The only extra thing they checked was vitamin D which was low (they gave me supplements), but the nurse who gave them to me said that basically the whole country (UK) is low in vit D and it's probably nothing to do with being vegan. Hope that helps!

I don't live in the UK, so I have no idea what your prenatal appointments are like, but I am a vegan pregnant woman. Been vegan for almost 2 years now. I've never had to tell my midwife that I am vegan. My blood work has been beautiful, my weight gain right on target, and unless she asked me directly (which she's had no reason to), I don't plan on telling her. However, my husband and I are taking Bradley Method birthing classes and it has been in these classes, where nutrition comes up as a subject, that I've had to prepare myself on how to answer some questions from the instructor. At first it was about how much protein I was getting daily (easily btw 75 and 90 grams) and then other questions like from where I get my choline (since I don't consume the main source of that: eggs). However, I educated the instructor and all has gone smoothly! I hope you are able to have a positive experience with your provider.

Yes, pretty much everyone in the northern hemisphere is deficient in vitamin D, vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore!

Why would it even come up ?! As a lifelong vegetarian (mum's a vegetarian) I don't even think about it. I would certainly never expect to be asked about it by a midwife and god help any other health care professional with an opinion on it haha. Unless of course something flagged up and the cause was my diet which is unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->