Anybody worried about academic years

Amethyste

Mummy to Ella
Reaction score
Hi, I am due in on the 7 the of September so 2 weeks to go, and I was wondering if anybody else is really hoping baby comes after the first of September so they don't end up being the youngest ones at school ? My other half thinks I am being silly.

My first daughter was 10 days late but this one might be a big baby and I wouldn't be surprised if she turns up early but I really hope I can hold on for a week.

I was born at the end of the academic year and I turned out fine :) The only thing that sucked was once all my friends turned 18 and I had to stay at home:haha:

Well, where I live in Canada, it's september 30 that is the cut off for the school year. I'm due October 9th, and I'm actually hoping he comes a little early so he can MAKE the cut off haha... I don't want him to be the oldest, I'd rather he be a little young. A lot of my friends have kids born september/august and they are doing fine. Both me and my SO skipped a year (not cause of age, they just moved us forward), so we were the youngest all the time and we did fine!

So I'd say I'm on the other end of the problem haha. They say though that little girls do better being young than little boys! Either way, I hope you get to make it past the cut off like you're hoping :)

Thanks, well whatever happens, happens anyway. I think you right it depends of the child. I remember two of my friends being frustrated to miss the cut as they say their child was really ready for school.

I always wanted my children to be older in school years before I had kids because I observed children being teased for being younger and always being last for birthdays, etc. I've now had a July, August and September baby but it doesn't matter because we home school, however my August baby was born right at the end and the midwife commented that she would be the youngest in the year (she didn't know we home school).

I understand where you are coming from though, children are much more ready when they are older and evidence suggests there is no benefit to starting school at an earlier age, in fact some European countries don't start formal education till 6/7 and they always do well when looking at education statistics across the world.

I understand where you are coming from though, children are much more ready when they are older and evidence suggests there is no benefit to starting school at an earlier age, in fact some European countries don't start formal education till 6/7 and they always do well when looking at education statistics across the world.

It's true. I am French but I live in the UK. In France the cutoff date is the end of December but appart from being the last one to have their birthdays it's not really a problem academically because they start primary school at 6 while in England they start it at 4 so the youngest ones are really really young !!

Yes, I've thought long and hard on the academic year for DD3. She has a late August birthday and we've decided we will hold her back. That isn't very uncommon in our area. Boys are usually held back, but girls not as much. I always think less about the academics, but more that I don't want her 4 grades between her younger brother ( due in 5 weeks) and I'd rather she graduated at 18 instead of 17...

Yes, this is always on my mind. My first missed the school cutoff. He's 6 in November and just starting kindergarten next week. We had the option to start private kindergarten last year, but honestly he just wasn't ready. That extra year did him a world of good.

This next baby is also due in November, so I'm expecting the same scenario when he starts school as well. The only downfall is that preschool is super expensive here, and it's an extra year's tuition for both of them.

Do you have the option to defer down where you are? It's quite common in Scotland, I think if you are within a month of two of the cut off they let you do it.

I am planning to defer my son as he's very quiet and shy and I think he could do with the extra year to boost his confidence. He was premature and if he'd gone to term, he would have been in the next year anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->