anyone become a midwife after having a baby?

lesleyann

Mummy
Reaction score
just been looking at midwifery course's and i understand theres a hell of a lot to learn i just dont think i could do a 3 year course with my little boy since from what i found i would be out of the city to.

Is it best to wait till im done having all my children and there all grown up but by then i may be getting to old IDK :shrug:

i would LOVE to become a midwife!!
will have to wait till OH is fully qualified and earning enough for us tho!

Just coz u have kids, dont put ur life on hold :)

Hiya hun,i realised i wanted to be a mindwife after i had my LO and i cant wait to start!:happydance:

I start an access to nursing and midwifery course at my local college in January,that will last for 18 months(part time and also there is free child care :D)

Then when LO 2 i will be applying to Uni!

I know it will be hard obv with LO but there are options of childcare etc and i think if i didnt go for it now i probably never will! xx

when i done my training there was a few with little ones and one who had a baby while on the course, as long as you have plenty of support you will be fine xx :hugs:

I done he access and found it hard tbh so I delayed uni for a year. It is also very hard to get into and at my local uni there were 38 spaces and on average 112 applying.

i would love to too!! but dont wanna leave Daisy with strangers all the time ! or with family either too - i'd miss her waaaaaaaaay too much, would be so nice if there was a part time course ran over a longer time :shrug:

i would love to too!! but dont wanna leave Daisy with strangers all the time ! or with family either too - i'd miss her waaaaaaaaay too much, would be so nice if there was a part time course ran over a longer time :shrug:

thats my thinking aswell, i might do some part time courses on other things to help with my application and then apply once im done having children and there in school. :shrug: because Oh should be able to apply for flexi work hours to be able to pick children up or a bit of after school clubs for an hour or 2 :shrug:

thats my thinking aswell, i might do some part time courses on other things to help with my application and then apply once im done having children and there in school. :shrug: because Oh should be able to apply for flexi work hours to be able to pick children up or a bit of after school clubs for an hour or 2 :shrug:

that was exactly what i was thinkin...tho if the course is 3 years and i only have Daisy .. i will be finished when i am like 33.....and i wanna have atleast 2 more so thats gonna make me 34-36 ish ? probs older, i no thats not old in any way but dunno if i am being realistic:shrug:

I studying to be a nurse atm ( i know not the same but similar) and i'm finding it really hard with LO as well, I got offered part time but i choose full time to get the training out the way iykwim?? I have time with LO but not as much as i would like and i got loads of works to do as well!! Luckily loads of the ppl on the course are parents and they are all really supportive!!

BTW the oldest person on my course is 59 and i would say the average age was about 30 so i dont think you would be too old to start training at 36.

i looked in to after having lilly... but would have had to a pointless access course because ive been out of education since i was 18 and i dont think i could be bother to lol.... im not lazy i just dont see the point in a pointless course only to get me in.....

that was exactly what i was thinkin...tho if the course is 3 years and i only have Daisy .. i will be finished when i am like 33.....and i wanna have atleast 2 more so thats gonna make me 34-36 ish ? probs older, i no thats not old in any way but dunno if i am being realistic:shrug:

i want 2 or 4 lol so say 2year between each gives me 8years plus say atlest 5years so there in school so thats 13years before i start the course lol and then 3years to complete so 16years so id be aprox 34/35.

i mean most of the midwifes i saw where atlest 30 well looked it anyway but i got on with the more looking 30year olds then the more looking 40years olds but that was more the way the came across from the way they spoke to me.

its hard when its a job that takes so much time and energy to get into, but id love to be able to help someone and make them feel better, but i dont no if i want to be an NHS midwife or an independent one. i mean the NHS needs more but independent is much better working conditions.. although id love to be a home birth midwife where the women is most relaxed :shrug:

I studying to be a nurse atm ( i know not the same but similar) and i'm finding it really hard with LO as well, I got offered part time but i choose full time to get the training out the way iykwim?? I have time with LO but not as much as i would like and i got loads of works to do as well!! Luckily loads of the ppl on the course are parents and they are all really supportive!!

Hi panda, i am also training to be a nurse, what year are you in? You enjoying it? I am 8 months from qualifying and want to go onto midwifery afterwards. Most nursing and midwifery students are 30+, i started when i was 21 and LO was 2. I love it but god its hard going but with the support and help its do-able.

Only prob with being a Indie Midwife is trying to get insurance, a lot of middy fins it too much hassel x

i want 2 or 4 lol so say 2year between each gives me 8years plus say atlest 5years so there in school so thats 13years before i start the course lol and then 3years to complete so 16years so id be aprox 34/35.

i mean most of the midwifes i saw where atlest 30 well looked it anyway but i got on with the more looking 30year olds then the more looking 40years olds but that was more the way the came across from the way they spoke to me.

its hard when its a job that takes so much time and energy to get into, but id love to be able to help someone and make them feel better, but i dont no if i want to be an NHS midwife or an independent one. i mean the NHS needs more but independent is much better working conditions.. although id love to be a home birth midwife where the women is most relaxed :shrug:

yeah thats exactly my thinking, i kno it must be one of the hardest jobs ever - emotionally and physically but i bet its so so worth it

yeah thats exactly my thinking, i kno it must be one of the hardest jobs ever - emotionally and physically but i bet its so so worth it

:thumbup: worth every min !! just wish i was paid more :rofl:

I would love to but I am a little too old and midwifery here is not quite the same as in the UK, its only been licensed since the late 90s and you have only very recently been able to have a midwife as your carer paid by the govt. I am a nurse and I am going to become a public health nurse which here is like a community midwife post natal visiting new mums and babies, and also doing all the vaccination clinics etc. I need to learn to drive first as they require a drivers license.

I'm studying to be a Midwife, and I'm pregnant with my 2nd. I see you're in England, so its a bit different here than it is there. I am studying to get my Bachelors and PhD in Midwifery and become a Certified Professional Midwife, homebirths only. I am able to study from home and do all my hands on training with an apprentice. The CPM course just to certify is 3 years, for the Bachelors its 4 years and for the PhD its about 6 years (or however long it takes you). For me this is the best route, as I am uninterested in working in a Hospital and going to a school where I have to be away from home. Many women though do become Midwives after their kids are grown up. I've talked to a few who are in their 40s and are now just starting their training. Good luck to you!

i'm really wanting to do this as a career but dropped out of a uni course (so not entitled to loans or funding anymore) :( x

Its something ive thought about, but being on my own with 3 children doesnt make it a practical option at the moment.
Who knows what the future hold s though x

i'm really wanting to do this as a career but dropped out of a uni course (so not entitled to loans or funding anymore) :( x

You would be entitled to funding as nursing and midwifery courses are funded different:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->