Anyone been to Lapland? Any top tips?

babydustcass

Reaction score
We are off to lapland, Luosto in finland for 5 days in December. We've never been before so we are super excited. The children (aged 4 and almost 8), dont know we are going and it'll be a surprise when we arrive at the airport that morning. :happydance:
As we are spending a lot of money, I want to make sure we have the best experience possible. We've already brought things like thermals, fleeces, snow socks, snow gloves snow boots for the kids (incase they dont have their sizes), hats, snoods and snow coats for the children for off the plane(though all in ones are provided for everyone).
Perhaps we need goggles for husky ride and snow mobils? :shrug:
I'm wondering what kind of trousers you wore over the long john/ thermals? Im imagining jeans would be uncomfortable inside a snow suit. But i dont really wear anything else, maybe trackies?:dohh:

What else could we need/ will make the experience and memories as amazing as it can be?
Ive been advised if we can to get a 'Go Pro' because camera battery power and sound can be effected by the cold? How did your normal camera fair? I have a Nikon D3200.
Any other advice you can offer would be gratefully received :) :thumbup::flower:

Hi, I live in Ylläs, Finland so a bit further north than Luosto so hopefully I can help.

Sounds like you are pretty prepared. What we dress DS in for the snow and cold is the following: thermals or long johns and vest depending on how long we will be out. Then he wears a woollen or fleece all in one/trousers top combo and then his snowsuit. So no real clothes really if we are out a long time. If we are just going out to play for a bit then he wears his normal clothes plus his wool all in one and then his snowsuit. For me I wear leggings or thermals plus a fleece top and trouser set and then my snow coat and trousers. Jeans underneath is not comfy. The best thing is layers so also on feet: normal socks then woolly socks and then shoes, nothing worse than cold feet! I would also recommend a balaclava for the kids to wear underneath their hats. It keeps them a lot warmer and also covers their necks. I never knew this until I moved here but all the locals do it so i guess it's the best thing to do.

Don't bother getting goggles as helmets with visors or goggles are provided for snowmobiling and for huskies we've never needed them.

Regarding cameras, we've always used our phones or normal cameras but the cold does cause the batteries to run out faster. I suppose with a go pro you can also film things but that is an expense you have to decide if you can afford.

Make sure you bring enough spare clothes as clothes do get wet. Often there are drying cupboards but it's great to have spares.

Other than that enjoy your holiday, this is the most magical place in the world, especially at Christmas and your kids will love it. I first visited when I was 9 at Christmas and it was amazing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->