Anyone considered high risk starting first trimester

emicakess

Reaction score
I just got news last week that my pap came back severely abnormal with "high grade squamous interparethial lesion with moderate dyslasia". The nurse told me I am high risk now and have to go see a high risk OB. She did not give me ANY other information! From googling it the best I could, I found that it might just mean that I have to get frequent paps and colposcopies and they have to keep an eye on me (because it may be precancerous). I really don't know what the OB is going to say though. I am still waiting for the OB to review my papers so I can set up an appointment.

Annnywaysss, high risk ladies: What does high risk mean for you? What do they do differently? Any other info would be great too!

I'm just trying to get some clarity of what "high risk" means. The words are a bit freaky!

Im considered high risk starting from when I booked in, but for completely different reasons to you. Hope the rest of your Paps etc come out fine for you :)

Im high risk because I got pregnancy induced hypertension in my first pregnancy and then suffered Post partum hemorrhage and needed blood transfusions. Being high risks mean I get extra midwife and consultant appointments and Im under 'consultant led' care rather than 'midwife led'. The appointments just measure my blood pressure, test my urine, measure my bump, listen to babys heart beat. I also have extra blood tests to ensure my iron levels dont drop again. Also may get offered extra scans before babys born to check growth.

The extra appointments are a bit of a pain, but least they are keeping a close eye on baby. Hope this helps a little, when you have your first consultant appointment they will probably discuss your care plan with you. x

Thank you flower! That helps a lot. I hope your pregnancy is going well this time!

I just got news last week that my pap came back severely abnormal with "high grade squamous interparethial lesion with moderate dyslasia". The nurse told me I am high risk now and have to go see a high risk OB. She did not give me ANY other information! From googling it the best I could, I found that it might just mean that I have to get frequent paps and colposcopies and they have to keep an eye on me (because it may be precancerous). I really don't know what the OB is going to say though. I am still waiting for the OB to review my papers so I can set up an appointment.

Annnywaysss, high risk ladies: What does high risk mean for you? What do they do differently? Any other info would be great too!

I'm just trying to get some clarity of what "high risk" means. The words are a bit freaky!

I'm sorry to hear about your abnormal pap results. Scary! :hugs:

I'm considered high risk because I have Type 2 diabetes (not gestational) and history of high blood pressure. I'm also considered obese.

For me, this means more frequent visits and more ultrasounds to monitor my daughter's growth.

I don't mind it personally. I get to hear her heart beat more often and I get to see her more often! Good news for me!

There is a silver lining! I'm glad to hear everything is going well for you.. I am really hoping that high risk means for me a few more ultrasounds than normal :p I had one at 7+4 due to brown spotting and I haven't had one since... I am erking to have one! I have a at home doppler so I know my baby is doing well :) I just want to see him/her!

There is a silver lining! I'm glad to hear everything is going well for you.. I am really hoping that high risk means for me a few more ultrasounds than normal :p I had one at 7+4 due to brown spotting and I haven't had one since... I am erking to have one! I have a at home doppler so I know my baby is doing well :) I just want to see him/her!

Do you have another ultrasound scheduled soon? I think its normal to have one between 11-13 weeks.

I'm high risk due to having HELLP Syndrome in my previous pregnancy (connected to pre-eclampsia). For me it means more frequent midwife checks and consultation with a high risk doctor. I've seen the doctor 4 times during my pregnancy (I won't go again as section in 6 days).

For some people there may be extra scans, there are probably certain checks they'll do specific to your medical situation. I get blood tests on my blood platelets and liver function because problems with them are part of HELLP but a woman who's high risk for another reason wouldn't have those tests.

Good luck with it all - it probably sounds scarier than it actually will turn out to be.

Do you have another ultrasound scheduled soon? I think its normal to have one between 11-13 weeks.

No! I was upset when I went to my appointment at 11 weeks (the day I got my pap done) and she did not offer me a scan. She just scheduled another appointment for me at 15 weeks. But since then I've been referred to a high risk OB and am still waiting (over a week now) for them to call and schedule an appointment. (That 15 week appointment us voided now) so I'm really hoping he offers me a scan

I'm high risk due to having HELLP Syndrome in my previous pregnancy (connected to pre-eclampsia). For me it means more frequent midwife checks and consultation with a high risk doctor. I've seen the doctor 4 times during my pregnancy (I won't go again as section in 6 days).

For some people there may be extra scans, there are probably certain checks they'll do specific to your medical situation. I get blood tests on my blood platelets and liver function because problems with them are part of HELLP but a woman who's high risk for another reason wouldn't have those tests.

Good luck with it all - it probably sounds scarier than it actually will turn out to be.

That makes sense! Thank you :) I am glad to hear everything is going okay! And also that is great that you get to see a Midwife :)

No! I was upset when I went to my appointment at 11 weeks (the day I got my pap done) and she did not offer me a scan. She just scheduled another appointment for me at 15 weeks. But since then I've been referred to a high risk OB and am still waiting (over a week now) for them to call and schedule an appointment. (That 15 week appointment us voided now) so I'm really hoping he offers me a scan

Can you call the OB and follow up? Or did they not give you the information? That would make me mad too!

I've been calling my new OB every day to check on the status of my referral and he still hasn't looked at my paperwork. Once he looks at that and accepts me they will call me to make an appointment...so its just a waiting a game :(

I've been calling my new OB every day to check on the status of my referral and he still hasn't looked at my paperwork. Once he looks at that and accepts me they will call me to make an appointment...so its just a waiting a game :(

waiting sucks! :hugs:

Yes, it does! Atleast I have google and I sort of know what's going on :p thank you! :hugs:

Are you in the UK or US? I'm in the UK and was due a smear test but the midwife and consultant said not to have it done until a few months after I'd had the baby because pregnancy always causes the results to be abnormal! So I'm surprised they let you have one and I'd try not to worry about the results.

I'm also classed as high risk because I've had a previous c section and also because I've got endometriosis which can cause premature labour/placental problems. I think it just means extra appointments with the consultant xx

Im in the US. Having a pap at your second appointment is custom here I think. So I think they know that its bound to come up abnormal but mine came up severely abnormal. I had an abnormal pap a year or two ago but the doctor was talking like it would just get better on its own. This seems to be that abnormal pap gone much worse. I think the standard procedure for this for non pregnant women would be to freeze any precancerous cells, but since I'm pregnant they have to do frequent colposcopies to make sure it doesn't become cancerous, since its at the stage before cancer. They won't freeze the cells at this stage while I'm pregnant because that could cause premature labor but I think, from what I've read, some doctors will if they find actual cancerous cells.

I'm not sure if any of it actually effects the baby at all, I hope not :( the nurse that told me on the phone wouldn't give me any information! So all this info I have gotten from the internet. I am still waiting to schedule my first high risk appointment :/

I came across this site recently, thought you might like to read this particular blog post. Basically she says not to let the "high risk" label worry you too much, because any pregnancy can become high risk in the right setting.

Obviously take care of yourself, just like any pregnant woman would, but don't let this make you crazy!

I was high risk from the get go too.

- I'm 37 (advanced maternal age)
- Previous pre-eclampsia with first pregnancy (hospitalised for 8 weeks)
- High BP detected at 8 weeks
- Gestational Diabetes detected at 10 weeks

I was referred to a high risk OB from 11 weeks. Basically I've had more OB appointments, a few more blood tests and a more scans ie growth scans. Ive also been on bed rest a few times because my BP had increased. I dont mind the extra attention to be honest it makes me feel safe. Also as my pregnancy progresses I'm been seen more frequently.

Thank you for the link amalee!That's a great blog :) thank you for sharing everyone else. I finally got to schedule my ob appointment for at 15 weeks but as far as I know they will just do a colposcopy. I hope they offer my a scan or something as well, and I also hope he will answer questions and not just be in and out of there.

I'm high risk from the start due having fallen pregnant quickly after a C-section and because I was induced early with my little one because of IUGR.
All that's different is having to see consultants and having growth scans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->