Anyone else found this?

firstLO

Evie's mum & pregnant
Reaction score
So a while ago Evie decided she wasn't going to eat anything savoury off a spoon (so I have lots of pureed meals going to waste in the freezer!). The only things she will still eat from a spoon are weetabix or yoghurt mixed with fruit (although she doesn't have much anymore). The thing is though she will eat bread, cheese, fruit, chicken and other meats, and will try what we're eating as long as I put them in her mouth for her. She can be happily eating something and if I then try and put it on a spoon she will refuse it. She has finger foods too but most of it ends up as a soggy mess on the floor!. Anyway has anyone else had this or know a way I can get her to use a spoon again? otherwise I'm a bit limited as to what I can give her.
Thanks

Why do you feel she needs a spoon? Let her eat whatever she wants, however she wants! They go through phases and this is one of them. She knows how to eat off a spoon, so you don't have to worry about that. She is just experimenting.
Oliver went through a phase of not eating savoury at all. Not off a spoon, by hand, nothing. I panicked like hell, but he grew bored of it in a couple of weeks. They just like to try knew things.
Just go with the flow and see how she does. Keep offering the spoon now and then and she'll soon get bored and want to use it again!!!

we've just been going through this and i figured it's because she wants to feed herself. I tried putting the spoon down on her highchair tray with a bit of food on and she picked it up and ate it staright away. She's now decided this is the only way she's going to eat her dinner, but is fine letting me feed her brekkie and yogurt :shrug:

It's not that I want her to use a spoon particularly it's just that I don't want her to rely on me putting things in her mouth. If I left it to her she would chew on a bit of bread or something and that would be it. I wouldn't mind if she drank lots of her milk but it's a struggle to get 15ozs in her now so I at least want her to start eating more as she's not gained much weight recently. She's nearly 10 months and still hardly eats anything and I don't know what else to try!

Hiya, my little girl is 10 months and has refused to eat off a spoon for a few months now. She now gags if I even attempt to feed her anything with it. It worried me to begin with, as I couldnt even feed her cereals or yogurts etc which she had loved, and I've had to become pretty imaginative with the foods I give her, but the upside is that she is now open to lots of new food and pretty much just eats what we do (but with her fingers!) Im hoping its just a phase - but me giving up the fight with the spoon has helped her to relax (she knows there is no battle) so she seems to be alot more chilled out and accepting of new foods. I think its an independance thing - and embrace it and let her do what ever suits x

Dylan went through a phase like this. He will now take a spoon again, but prefers his finger food. In fact, if he doesn't have a finger food he won't take the spoon. In the meantime, try adapting meals to make them into finger foods and she will get the hang of actually eating it. Things like chicken casserole, just make sure all the veg is cut into sticks, chicken pieces are big enough to hold etc and pop it on her tray.

My LO still wont eat anything savoury off a spoon so I don't even try anymore - (little bugger will do it at nursery though!!) - I just let him feed himself its a bit messy but they sooon get the hang of it. You can always spread your already made puree on toast or rice cakes and you can always use breadsticks as dippers so your hard work doesn't go to waste. I don't even cook anything special for him anymore he just gets a little of what we are eating - much less hassle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->