Anyone else having issues with a 17 year old

mumof1+1

Mommato#4beauties
Reaction score
I never though I’d be posting anything like this but I’m struggling.

I started a new relationship late last year with a guy who has known my 3 children a long time. My 2 younger ones he has known all their lives and has always got along well with all 3 of them. My 17 year old seems to have some kind of jealousy going on. When I was in my previous relationship she didn’t like him and went out of her way to make things difficult and eventually we broke up. Not her doing entirely the relationship was failing and had been for some time.
She’s constantly in the middle of us and bedroom activity is nigh on impossible. She complains and has even banged on the wall. It’s a new build so the walls are thin at best but We’re as quiet as we can be. I don’t know what to do anymore.

And advice?

Feeling stressed!

TIA

I imagine it must be mortifying for her to think of her mum having sex - at that age its mortifying when people on telly do, let alone your mum!
I guess my approach might depend on your family's attitudes towards sex in general. For example, if she were to have a boyfriend would you allow her to have him on sleepovers, and how would you feel about hearing sex noises?

Practically, could you use music or telly to mask sex noises?

I doubt it is all about sex tbh but maybe this is the bit she finds easiest to object to, as she may find it hard to explain just what it is she fears will happen if you let this man in to your lives. You can forge very intense relationships when a family goes through difficult times together and strangers who didn't share the struggle can be seen as "not us".

Sitting down together and having a frank chat (or many many frank chats until you can get her to open up) about why you deserve a relationship and life of your own and where you listen (really listen,no "Yes but...") to her fears or reservations may be the only way, although notoriously difficult to do. Some children/teens find it less threatening to talk openly when engaged in an activity together, so maybe a one to one while baking, doing your nails, playing a computer game - whatever she'd enjoy - might work. In fact at this time when she's old enough to start breaking away from you, maybe the on-to-one and reassurance that there will always be time for her and she can always rely on you, is exactly what she needs!

I remember being absolutely horrified after my parents broke up (I was 13/14) and my mum started seeing someone else, having him stay over, etc. It didn't help that he was quite a selfish person and wanted my mum to only do things with him. He had no kids, lived alone etc. and so didn't really get that my 11 year old brother and I were still reeling from the divorce and having some behavioural issues as a result. We were also teen/pre-teen age obviously, so dealing with hormones and the various problems that tend to arise between children and their parents at this age as well. This guy didn't like us at all, was constantly trying to correct our behaviour, and couldn't fathom that we needed our mother to be more available than he wanted her to be, which was a recipe for absolute disaster. After a couple of rubbishy years, he ended up ultimately cheating on our mum, blaming us and labelling us 'miserable kids'. She told him where to go then.

While there was no question that she would always have picked us had it come down to that, witnessing our mother be 'selfish' and think about herself for the first time in our lives was a real shock for us as children. Years later, when I was older, we did talk about it and I told her outright that I had been incredibly hurt by how quickly she had tried to move this person into our lives so soon after the divorce, and that I felt she had made a really bad choice, which had caused me to massively lose respect for her as a teenager. I also acknowledged that I understood why she did it - that she had obviously been unhappy with my dad for a long time and was ready to move on with someone new. The problem was that she failed to realise that the rest of us weren't ready - and as our mother, I believe her duty to us as young people was primarily to make sure our emotional needs were met before she took that step, which she just didn't. Despite being (and still being today) an exemplary and fantastic mum, she was unable to separate her own feelings about our father, the awful divorce, etc. from ours. We had lost a parent and our whole family life as we knew it. We were damaged, too.

I don't know how much, if any, of this seems similar to your situation, but first and foremost you need to talk openly to your daughter. At 17, she is still not going to be emotionally mature/experienced enough to understand that your feelings for your partner have no bearing on your feelings for her at all (presumably). She likely understands sexual/physical desire and feelings at her age, but is presumably unlikely to have been involved in a lengthy and meaningful romantic relationship just yet and will have no concept at all of the way parents feel about their kids. Even though she's almost technically an adult, these concepts come about through experience - experience she just has not had yet. As childish and self-centred as it may seem, she probably needs to know that you are not 'picking' your partner over her and also that you still and always will love her more and like her best, even though you love and like your partner too. My guess would be that she's worrying about this, and hearing the two of you having sex probably feels like it's (almost literally) being rubbed in her face. If you look at it from her standpoint, and especially if you've never had a conversation of this ilk with her, it's probably a very worrying and confusing time for her seeing you happy with someone who ISN'T her.

I'm now 30 and have a good relationship with my mum, who has been in a relationship with a very decent guy for many years now, but for a long time I felt resentful and awkward around her, and you need to avoid that if you can. Talking openly, reassuringly and honestly, and encouraging her to do the same, is the best way to start improving things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->