Anyone else planning a home birth??

Kirstiedenman

Reaction score
So this is baby #4 , hospital birth with my first, home birth with my second, planned a home birth with my 3rd but I had a placental abruption so that went out the window and I was induced at 38 weeks. This time around I am planning another home birth and thought I'd see if there is anyone doing the same and if there is where in the world are you from, are you having a doula (I haven't had one before heard they are amazing and hoping to convince hubby we need one!) are you doing it through a hospital program or a hired midwife?

With my 3rd I was in a hospital home birth program and had 2 amazing midwives who I had seen for my appointments. I had a water birth and it was everything I could have ever wanted in a birth!!

I usually have fast labours #1 was 3.5hrs and second was 2hrs but my third because I was induced early was 7hrs that and I was completely uncomfortable constantly told I couldn't push while I was in the shower and lots of other things that I know slowed my progression down.

I am in Australia and will be going through another hospital home birth program, I am going to get the pool again but not sure if I wil birth in it or not I kinda want to try a relaxed dry birth but will obviously see what the mood is like on the day.
I am doing hypnotherapy again but cannot remember for the life of me the one I did last time so any tips on the best ones that worked for you would be awesome!!
My eldest was prepped to be there when #3 was born but because of the abruption it didn't end up happening so he is extremely excited that he gets to be there for this one and I am so excited to share that with him!!!

Well I am looking forward to hopefully hear from some other ladies planning or have had home births :)

Yes, I had a home birth with my first who is 4.5 now and assuming all goes well, I plan to have this one at home as well. It's just sort of what I always knew I'd do. I'm lucky to have lots of friends who have had home births, so it's just sort of normal among my friends, and we also have one of the highest rates of home birth in the UK in my county, so we're very lucky. In the UK as home birth is a normal service funded under the NHS like every other birth (so it's free, though some people do hire private midwives, especially in areas where there is less home birth coverage). In our area, we have a dedicated home birth team of midwives, so they only do home births and we have all our appts at home, which is lovely. I did have a doula for my first birth, but she was honestly pretty crap. That's not a criticism of doulas generally (my lifelong best friend is a doula, but she doesn't live near me so can't be my doula), just I got one that sucked and she was more a hassle than anything.

We will probably hire a doula this time, not because I especially want one (honestly, I'd rather be on my own), but because our daughter will be home with us for the birth. There will be times when my husband will need to be with her, making her dinner, putting her to bed, etc. and we might need an extra set of hands. Also, we don't have any family nearby (within several hours drive) so in the event of a transfer to hospital, I need someone on standby to stay with our daughter until someone can come be with her while my husband goes with baby and I. Our local friends all have the sorts of jobs where they can't just miss work (teachers, nurses, etc.), so I want a doula mostly for my daughter rather than me. I anticipate she'll end up sitting downstairs with a book for most of it as I'd rather be on my own. I think if you think you'll need one (and can afford one) then it's never a bad thing to have someone there in case you really do.

My daughter was born on dry land on our floor, though I planned a water birth. It turns out I hate being in water, so I was much happier to be walking around in labour. I just squatted down where I wanted when I needed to push. I plan to do the same this time. I did natal hypnotherapy last time, which is British, but I found it really effective and I was really calm and comfortable.

I'm not pregnant yet, but we are considering a home birth for our second babe. Our first was born in a birth center... which was pretty much a home environment, but we had to drive to get there. The only reason I didn't have a home birth with him is that my insurance doesn't cover it. I wouldn't mind delivering there again, but I'd love to have the second baby at home if we can pull it off. Im a doula and didn't have one with my first... I'll absolutely have one the second time around and will likely use a midwife team from around here if we do have a home birth. I live in the Philadelphia suburbs.

Hi there! I didn't have a home birth with my son, but we did have him with a midwife and doula in a birthing centre, unfortunately where I live there is an extreme midwife shortage, so at the time there was only one midwife working out of the clinic and you need 2 to have a homebirth.

However, the atmosphere of the birthing centre was calming, and amazing. I laboured and birthed in the water and I am hoping to do it the same this time around!
I did have a doula with my son and I plan to with this baby as well, my husband ended up getting very emotional when he saw me in pain so that is when the doula stepped in to pour warm water on my back, or rub my hips, etc. She also was a huge help in helping my husband cope with watching me in pain.
If you can afford it, definitely do it!!

If we had any in our area I think I might like a birthing centre, but as far as I know there aren't any nearby.

I have never considered a home birth because the thought terrifies me since I don't think we are really set up for them. I am in a relatively small town. We do have a few midwives, but they still make you go to the hospital so there isn't much difference between them and an OB other than techniques.

Where I grew up, I know there are 2-3 midwives who will do home births, but obviously very few people can do that with so few midwives available. That said, my cousin was one of those people and had a wonderful birth experience.

My OB did just hire a midwife to work with him so I am hoping she can be involved in the birth. A lot of women around here seem to have better experiences when a midwife is involved. She is brand new, just out of training though so I don't think she is taking on very many patients yet.

I'm a little jealous of those of you who have multiple options and can choose what is best for you. I would put a lot more thought in to it if I felt like I had a real choice.

Hello!
I just got my bfp and if this little one sticks I will be planning a homebirth! I had c-sections with my two older daughters (both of which I now know were very unnecessary at the time they were performed) and a hba2c (homebirth after 2 c-sections) with my third daughter in 2015. My labor was super long, 40 hours, but it was still so wonderful to have my baby at home! A true blessing ❤ I have a wonderful midwife but it is an expense that comes entirely out of my families budget. I am tenatively optimistic as I have had two early losses over the past 4 months.

Congrats to all of you who are expecting and babydust to those of you ttc'ing ☺

Yes, I had a home birth with my first who is 4.5 now and assuming all goes well, I plan to have this one at home as well. It's just sort of what I always knew I'd do. I'm lucky to have lots of friends who have had home births, so it's just sort of normal among my friends, and we also have one of the highest rates of home birth in the UK in my county, so we're very lucky. In the UK as home birth is a normal service funded under the NHS like every other birth (so it's free, though some people do hire private midwives, especially in areas where there is less home birth coverage). In our area, we have a dedicated home birth team of midwives, so they only do home births and we have all our appts at home, which is lovely. I did have a doula for my first birth, but she was honestly pretty crap. That's not a criticism of doulas generally (my lifelong best friend is a doula, but she doesn't live near me so can't be my doula), just I got one that sucked and she was more a hassle than anything.

We will probably hire a doula this time, not because I especially want one (honestly, I'd rather be on my own), but because our daughter will be home with us for the birth. There will be times when my husband will need to be with her, making her dinner, putting her to bed, etc. and we might need an extra set of hands. Also, we don't have any family nearby (within several hours drive) so in the event of a transfer to hospital, I need someone on standby to stay with our daughter until someone can come be with her while my husband goes with baby and I. Our local friends all have the sorts of jobs where they can't just miss work (teachers, nurses, etc.), so I want a doula mostly for my daughter rather than me. I anticipate she'll end up sitting downstairs with a book for most of it as I'd rather be on my own. I think if you think you'll need one (and can afford one) then it's never a bad thing to have someone there in case you really do.

My daughter was born on dry land on our floor, though I planned a water birth. It turns out I hate being in water, so I was much happier to be walking around in labour. I just squatted down where I wanted when I needed to push. I plan to do the same this time. I did natal hypnotherapy last time, which is British, but I found it really effective and I was really calm and comfortable.

I read your birth story I love reliving my home birth and love to read other people's it's such a beautiful thing!!!
I would absolutely love to hire a doula I am just not sure we are going to be able to afford it with all the accomodation we have to pay as we live rural so have to leave town to have our babies.
My first and last were dry land births but both in a hospital bed and I didn't enjoy it at all but I think if I was to be at home and not having someone tell me I can't push in certain ways then I would enjoy it a bit more.

Hello!
I just got my bfp and if this little one sticks I will be planning a homebirth! I had c-sections with my two older daughters (both of which I now know were very unnecessary at the time they were performed) and a hba2c (homebirth after 2 c-sections) with my third daughter in 2015. My labor was super long, 40 hours, but it was still so wonderful to have my baby at home! A true blessing ❤ I have a wonderful midwife but it is an expense that comes entirely out of my families budget. I am tenatively optimistic as I have had two early losses over the past 4 months.

Congrats to all of you who are expecting and babydust to those of you ttc'ing ☺

Congrats to you hun for having a home birth after 2 c sections that's amazing!!! What an incredible experience for you despite the labor being long there is truely no words to describe how much more comfortable you feel having your baby at home!!

Thank you, Kirstie! It really is amazing to be able to labor as you please, eat and drink what you want and have only people you are comfortable with around. I really believe that had I been in a hospital I would have been forced into having another c-section despite the fact that baby and I were tolerating labor fine. All in all I pushed out my biggest baby in just 7 minutes without tearing and had a waterbirth! I wish more people could have, or just be aware of homebirths and how amazing they are!

Thank you, Kirstie! It really is amazing to be able to labor as you please, eat and drink what you want and have only people you are comfortable with around. I really believe that had I been in a hospital I would have been forced into having another c-section despite the fact that baby and I were tolerating labor fine. All in all I pushed out my biggest baby in just 7 minutes without tearing and had a waterbirth! I wish more people could have, or just be aware of homebirths and how amazing they are!

I completely agree you probably would have. My 2 hospital births despite them being what someone would say a great hospital birth they were terrible after experiencing a home birth, I don't think words can describe the difference in how your body feels and just so much more relaxed and comfortable, I'm so glad you were able to experience that!
There is always so much fear around home birth put out there people aren't giving themselves the opportunity to experience because of the false information that is plastered out there.
My sister was dead against the idea of it and she was my birthing partner so we clashed quite a bit in the weeks leading up to it and then once I had my son she came over hugged me and said " thank you so much for inviting me here for this it was the most amazing experience of my life" her oppinion had completely changed although she still didn't agree with it for herself she thought it was a beautiful and empowering thing to witness.
I am very lucky to such a supportive husband (besides the fact that it is going to cost us ALOT of money) he is more than happy as long as I am happy which is great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->