anyone else still smoking?

anamaz

pregnant 1st tri mum to 1
Reaction score
ok i know this is terrible but i am still smoking i gave up for 12 weeks but then started again when i was 15 weeks

i smoke a lot less than i used to
but i also suffer from anorexia and think that if i eat healthyily and smoke its better than not eating properly its the lesseer of the two evils
am i just diluded
what do you think?

Hey hun. My best friend smoked through her whole pregnancy, and I used to be a smoker. I admit I've been having a lot of cravings since becoming pregnant, but I stopped a long time before.

Do you know what happens to your baby when you do smoke? Have you talked to your GP or midwife about it?

yeah know but i guess i dont want to face it and i do really believe i am doing less damage smoking then fasting all the times and not giving my lil one the nutrition she needs

if i smoie outside strictly as a rule when my baby is born will it help at all?

Hun I would speak to a MW or GP about the anorexia and smoking. I know a few people who've smoked through pregnancy and had little or no problems, but theres always a chance. And if you want to stop then now is the best time to do it. As for when the baby is born, it will definately be better to smoke outside, although I think they recommend even if you are just smoking outside not to share a room with your baby? Im not sure but Im sure a MW will be able to clarify.

Ive been stopped for about 8 or 9 months now (since October) so I know how hard it is to do, but I don't have the added straighn of anorexia which will probably make it ten times harder. I would really speak to your GP though.

Good luck hun :)

xxx

It makes my blood boil that people would actually take the risk of putting that horrible stuff inside your body while carrying another life.

There is nothing worse than seeing a pregnant woman smoking - I personaly think its horrible and a bit selfish

Good luck :hug:

but i also suffer from anorexia and think that if i eat healthyily and smoke its better than not eating properly its the lesseer of the two evils
am i just diluded
what do you think?

i'd say yes deluded. Why subject baby to any evils? He/she doesnt deserve it.

As much as you're doing better than smoking 60 a day, I wont say you're doing well - because I think you've writen this post looking for someone to tell you not to worry, to ease your guilt adn to tell you its OK... but I wont do that.

You KNOW really it's not right dont you..

I know it's not easy - I used to smoke before I was pregnant - but we CAN quit. Speak to your doc.
Just for 9 months your body isnt your own so you need to eat well and not pollute it. Just for 9 months.
Thats my advice. But I know it's not easy.

I was also a smoker and I know how hard it is too stop but its not just low birth rate thats a risk. There is a huge link to SID and a baby of a mother who smoked through prenancy is 3 times more likely to die from it and this goes up if you continue to smoke after birth. There is also evidence of a direct link to behavioural problems and learnign difficulties not to mention an increased risk of still borth and preterm delivery. Also you risk rupture of the placenta and having a low lying placenta that will make delivery difficult.

Really really dont want to stress you out more as this will probably just make you want to reach for the fags! But just think its really really not worth the risk. Maybe see what help you can get for your eating while pregnant. I dont know much about eating disorders so cant really say much there but just think, I know the above is only a risk and it 'might' all be ok but do you really want to take that risk??

The thing is, when your child is older and might be a bit slow at school or a bit more prone to outbursts of anger, you won't know if it's his personality or the fact that you deprived him of oxygen in the womb.

Speak to your midwife or GP and get help, that's what they are there for.

yeah know but i guess i dont want to face it and i do really believe i am doing less damage smoking then fasting all the times and not giving my lil one the nutrition she needs

if i smoie outside strictly as a rule when my baby is born will it help at all?

It shouldn't be a case of either smoking and harming your baby or starving and harming your baby. You should be able to not smoke and not starve. And your doctor should be helping you with that. Maybe there is something the doctor can give you that can make you want to eat without having to smoke? Speak to them, I'm sure they can work something out. I really hope things work out for you :hugs:
:hug:

thank you all so much i went to the dr this morning and have 2nd step patches that i will use for two weeks max and then not smoke

thanks for teling me all the risks and beinghonest with me means alot

One of my friends just had twins. She was at high risk for miscarriage, so she was told NOT to quit smoking. Her OB told her that it could cause unneeded stress on her body, and on the babies. She delivered two, very healthy, happy baby boys earlier this spring.

Talk to your doctor about it first, cause sometimes the pros outweigh the cons.

Good luck hun :hugs: I hope it works, and really glad your doctor has given you some help
:hug:

Maybe there is something the doctor can give you that can make you want to eat without having to smoke? :

Anorexia is an illness, a disease, not something you can pop to the docs and get a pill for!

One of my friends just had twins. She was at high risk for miscarriage, so she was told NOT to quit smoking. Her OB told her that it could cause unneeded stress on her body, and on the babies. She delivered two, very healthy, happy baby boys earlier this spring.

Talk to your doctor about it first, cause sometimes the pros outweigh the cons.

ms SIL was also told to just smoke one a dy rather than not smoke. but this isnt advice people should follow without talking to their doc! If someone can quit for the first 12 weeks then they can carry it on. the fist week is the hardest. it only gets esier after that - PLUS you have to feel good factor of the fact you're helping your baby and you're in control.

Stopping smoking is empowering - WE can control the ciggies rather than them controling us. And as mums we need to have control¨!

Stopping smoking is empowering - WE can control the ciggies rather than them controling us. And as mums we need to have control¨!

I think that is a great thing to say!!!!
Very true and very helpful!
xx

Good luck to you in combatting your ana and smoking. It will be hard but you need to find the strenght for your LO to overcome them.

I stopped smoking in September I was on 10-15 a day and started to use the tablets that tell the nicoteen receptors in your brain that you don't need nicoteen. I was meant to be on the course for six months but found out I was 5 weeks pregnant in December (unplanned) so I stopped the tablets straight away. Luckily I have stayed away from the cigs, I think my man would have me put in to prison if I started smoking whilst with our child!! I haven't felt the need for them either and I feel much better and much more relaxed without them!!

:hug: :muaha: :hug:

Anorexia is an illness, a disease, not something you can pop to the docs and get a pill for!

I wasn't trying to to suggest that it was. Just that if smoking can make her feel like eating, maybe there was patch or something that could do the same thing, without hurting the baby. Which is what the doctor has given her... sorry if I caused offence. I just meant that she shouldn't have to do it alone - she has an illness, she should be getting support for it - for herself and the baby.

thank you all so much i went to the dr this morning and have 2nd step patches that i will use for two weeks max and then not smoke

thanks for teling me all the risks and beinghonest with me means alot

i think the fact that you are trying to stop is good enough in itself. i'm not saying i think it's fine to smoke in pregnancy, but it's difficult to stop and i wouldn't beat yourself up about it if you can't. some people find it easy to give up, and this makes it easy for them to tell others that it's easy to give up too, when actually for some people it's alot more harder than that. i also think pregnancy is a great opportunity for smokers to quit the habit for good. good luck though, i hope you manage to quit successfully xxx

ms SIL was also told to just smoke one a dy rather than not smoke. but this isnt advice people should follow without talking to their doc! If someone can quit for the first 12 weeks then they can carry it on. the fist week is the hardest. it only gets esier after that - PLUS you have to feel good factor of the fact you're helping your baby and you're in control.

I couldn't agree more. I am a smoker now. My DH and I are going to start TTC in September. I will be done with smoking by then. It's really hard to quit, but it'll be worth it to have a happy healthy baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->