Anyone else watch 'Out of my depth' with Amanda Holden as a midwife?

Joyzerelly

Mama to two darlings
Reaction score
I just watched it, she had 5 weeks to train before being in charge of a real labour and all I can say is "Aaggh!" That looked agonising! Even with the epidural. I hope all labours aren't like that, I was hoping to get by on gas and air and a warm water pool. :shock::shock:

Yes I started a thread on it earlier! It was brilliant

I started thread before it came on because I wondered who'd be watching! Lol! X

yes i watched it! although interesting im now terrified :nope: . she was in so much pain...everyone in 3rd tri is saying it isnt always that bad...i hope not!!!!

I know, it was very scary. I've told hubby just to hit me over the head and knock me out, then wake me when it's over.

I just watched it, she had 5 weeks to train before being in charge of a real labour and all I can say is "Aaggh!" That looked agonising! Even with the epidural. I hope all labours aren't like that, I was hoping to get by on gas and air and a warm water pool. :shock::shock:

She was no way in charge of anyone's labour. The real midwife was there. Nor can anyone possibly train to be a midwife in 5 weeks my arse :)

She was no way in charge of anyone's labour. The real midwife was there. Nor can anyone possibly train to be a midwife in 5 weeks my arse :)

Of course they can't, it was all another celeb reality thing (I wish these programmes would give your average Joe in the street opportunities like that instead of cashing in on the celeb factor - I'd love to be on 'Strictly') but even so, she was allowed to lead the birth and be the main communicator to the lady giving birth. Of course the real midwives were on hand when it mattered, like when her baby needed resuscitating :shock:

I'm about to watch it now. If you haven't here's the link...

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=112807

i thought it was brill... i also watched surrogate mums on sky real lives after wards brill i was in tears xxx lol

Of course they can't, it was all another celeb reality thing (I wish these programmes would give your average Joe in the street opportunities like that instead of cashing in on the celeb factor - I'd love to be on 'Strictly') but even so, she was allowed to lead the birth and be the main communicator to the lady giving birth. Of course the real midwives were on hand when it mattered, like when her baby needed resuscitating :shock:

I very much doubt it would have been the case where 'Real midwives were on hand when it mattered' and that Amanda wasn't really leading the labour care. She may have listened in to the fetal heart for the camera and provided emoitional support.

But throughout the entire labour the midwife who is legally responsible would have been the one to monitor the heart rate and interpret the CTG every 15 mins to half an hour and taking action if required, also monitor woman's obs hrly during the use of the epidural, monitor urine output of the catherter every hr, examine the woman accurately during labour, document everything during the labour and advise the woman on everything that was required during the labour when it come to the Fetal heart dipping and then of course obviously resuscitate where necessary. There is plenty more that would have taken place too. In reality Amanda would have purely been the support for the woman, she wouldn't have been qualified or experienced enough to carry out the labour care tasks that would have occured to keep the woman and baby safe leading to the immenent delivery. The camera didn't show this, including the communication from midwife to doctor when the FH was dipping which then resulted in the assistance of the doctor to perform a Ventouse extraction. There is alot that would have occured that simply Amanda or anyone training for 5 weeks would not be doing. :)

:)

it terrified me!!! my oh said "oh my god do i really have to be there?" haha bless him... with this being our first, we didnt know what to expect.

i hope those women were putting some of that pain on just for tv!! x

me and my hubby watched it in sort of silence and at the end he turned and said, oh flip u've t do all that! woah

it was so overwhelming though and made us even more excited to meet smudge and hear him/her cry :)

Just hearing you guys talk about the programme scares me!! I watched 16 and pregnant the other day and it freaked me out a bit...mind you, if they can do it at 16, I hope I will be ok! I think that programme would have scared my hubby to bits by the sound of things x Bless him

It shit me up! I started watching it then hubby came in and I said to him "if I can opt for a c section I'm am definately guna" he was like "why?" then one of the ladies was screaming in labour and it zoomed in on baby coming out and I went "that's why!!" my hubby just replied with a gulp!!!

To you girls wondering whether some of the pain was "played up" for tv... ah, not necessarily. I didn't see it, but I can tell you that it don't always happen that baby slides out after a couple of "oohs" and "ahhs" like some I've seen (happened for my 23yr old niece like that, apparently (bitch!).
I screamed... A LOT and never even got to give birth(!) - had to go caesar - how's that for sucking badly!? Huh??!! I'm booking this one in for a c-section as soon as I am able to.:thumbup:

The woman at the end was having a severe panic attack that made things a million times worse. Go watch some birthing videos on babycentre.co.uk for a wide range of experiences!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->