Anyone else with bad eyesight?

Sophie1205

TTC #2
Reaction score
I very rarely post anymore but I thought I'd ask this :)
As a child my eyesight was always perfect, but it started to go bad from when I was 19 (I'm 23 now) and I have had glasses since then, with my prescription changing because of my eyesight worsening after each eye test. So I had an eye test a few weeks ago and yet again had to get new glasses because my sight, particularly my right eye, has got worse. Now, I should really be wearing my glasses all the time but I just forget and when I'm out and about I get frustrated because I can't see properly haha! I used to only have to wear my glasses for things like driving and watching TV but now I am sat here with my computer screen just over and arm's length away from me and I can't see the writing properly even with my glasses on! Has anyone got any advice or is in the same boat? I don't know whether I am making my sight worse by not wearing my glasses as much as I should. Am I straining my eyes??
Sorry for the ramble!!!

If I don't wear my glasses/contacts, even for using the laptop, which is sitting on my lap (and I'm curled up in bed, so it's really close), I can't focus easily, which makes me feel tired. If I don't wear them when I'm up and about, especially outside, I don't feel right, everything is a slight haze and I don't feel properly involved in what I'm doing. And my eyes aren't that bad!

I don't think that it will affect your eyes.

Why not try contact lenses? I've worn them pretty much every day for the last seven years or so. I didn't wear them for a few weeks a couple of years ago cos I had an eye infection, and when I started again, they felt quite dry with the contacts in, but I quickly got over that. They feel dry if I don't drink enough or wear them too long (I wear them up to nineteen hours a day sometimes!). Other than that, though, I find them a lot more convenient.

Thanks :) I have thought about contacts but I already suffer with really uncomfortable, dry eyes and I just they'll just make that worse. I can't win haha! I guess I'm just worried at how quickly my eyesight is deteriorating! Even with my glasses on I just don't feel right :( xx

I have had glasses since kindergarten screening-I was 4 or 5 at the time. They got worse in my teens I got unlined bi focals, then got better once I was 17. I got contacts when I was 21 but I find them a pain and hate them. My eyes water or itch so badly. So I wear my glasses except for special occasions, which I normally don't wear anything. I just don't drive or read and get out alright.

hahhaa forgive me but I am exhausted as it's 1.47am here and I am currently writing as essay which is due in for 9am....but when you said you normally don't wear anything for special occassions it took me a good few minutes to actually understand what you meant by that! I now realise that you were talking about glasses/contacts and not clothes! haha!
I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I had good eyesight until the age of 19 really! I think I'm just going to have to start wearing my glasses everyday! I just don't like the way they look on me but hey-ho, at least I will be able to see xx

I do tend to wear clothes. Its okay, I should have clarified lol

Over the past year or so my eyesight has got pretty bad. I went to the opticians about 6 months ago and he told me I may have keratoconus (I don't think I've spelt that right) and I'm still waiting for my appointment to go to the hospital to have my eyes measured. My appointment isn't until February and I've had to put up with this awful vision for so long.

Sometimes I can see fine but sometimes I can't read anything even when its close AND with glasses on. I wear them all the time, if I don't I'm as blind as a bat.

Its quite depressing, and once I have my appointment I probably got to wait another god knows how long to get correct fitting contacts -.-

I couldn't see a stop sign a foot in front of my face without my glasses. I'm not sure how I'm not considered legally blind yet. If I don't have my glasses, I might as well stay in bed.

Oh, I've worn glasses since I was 7.

My eyesight deteriorated badly as a teenager. I wouldn't wear my glasses until I was about 16-17. I was very self conscious. I remember putting them on to read the board and whipping them straight back off again as quickly as possible. I used to keep them in my pencil case :rofl: It also deteriorated when I was pregnant. I believe my eyesight got worse because I wasn't wearing them. I used to strain my eyes very badly and constantly squinted to see/read things. I suffered with really bad headaches as well. I wear my glasses all the time now they come off when I go to bed and go straight back on again in the morning. My eyesight at my last test a couple of months ago hadn't changed :happydance: I now feel I like weird without my glasses. I also didn't get on with contact lenses lol

Totally in the same boat. My eyesight was fine up until 19, now it's awful. I have to wear glasses for everything and I hate it!

I wear glasses daily & started aged 17 (now 25).

I don't mind wearing them, used to them now, but I sometimes wear contacts for events like swimming or on holiday so I can wear sunglasses.

I'm considering laser eye surgery.

I'm worried about Millie's eyes, the age people wear glasses has decreased over the last few generations in my family.

Iv worn my glasses since 14 and like you its gradually got worse, now if i wont wear them everything is blurry and i get really bad headaches. My glasses is the last thing i take off before bed and the first thing i do in a morning. My eyes are an odd shape so it costs quite a lot for contacts but i only wear them on the odd occasion but they do make my eyes dry too. x

Mine is getting worse. I started off just needing them for the whiteboard at school. Now everything is so fuzzy on the telly and I can't see peoples faces properly if they are across the road of something without glasses. It's awful I really want laser eye surgery but petrified. I'm due an eye test and I know I'll need new glasses :(

I'm very short sighted. This was picked up when I was 11. I've had contacts since I was 16. I don't mind my glasses so much now. I'll be asking teachers to keep an eye :)haha:) on my son when he's in school because before it was picked up I just thought the chalk was too light on the board. I never considered it was my eye sight!

I wore glasses from age 8 -25. 2 yrs ago I had laser done and its the BEST thing ive ever dome. My eyes were -4.00 in each eye and the surgery cost nearly £3000 but I finished paying for it this past September.

I find if I don't wear my glasses I get killer headaches - be careful you aren't making yourself tired forgetting to wear them!

I've been wearing glasses since 14 (now 30!) I would be totally lost without them, I even wear them in the pool when swimming with the kids otherwise everyone looks the same!!! Best thing I ever did was get prescription sunglasses, I wear them permanently on holiday xx

I've had glasses since I was 14. I wore them to read the board in school or watching tv but after a few years I realised I was wearing them more and more, then all the time as my eyes were getting worse. I was told they'd stop getting worse by my early twenties but I needed stronger lenses just last year and I'm approaching 30. I wear contact lenses for special occasions but generally wear my glasses. It doesn't bother me as I love my frames! I figure that you should get some you really love, regardless of cost as you will wear them everyday on your face, it's the first thing people look at when they look at you.

I thought about laser surgery but if your eyesight is still changing, surely the effects wouldn't last long before it deteriorates again? Does anyone know if this is true?

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->