Anyone ever had weevils infestation?

babyjan

Mum&expecting#2
Reaction score
So I found loads of them in my food cupboard where I kept my rice and flour, there was a bag of rice in there for some time that I completely forgot about and wasn't even using as I didn't like the type of rice it was anyways I found loads of them in there and had to throw away my new bag of rice as well as everything that was in the cupboard including seasoning, flour, sugar, pasta, cereals everything basically.

I felt sick! And washed the whole area with bleach and sprayed it with insect spray as they ran into the cracks. I hope they don't return and won't be buying big bags of food again.

I think there called weevils I googled it and found out that and they come in the flour or rice. I was eating weetabix one day and found one in there, I instantly vomited. They were everywhere in the cupboard and it was just disgusting!

My cupboard is now empty and I won't be putting anything in there for a while, it was such a shame throwing away all this new food but it had to be done!

So has anyone else experienced this and any advice?

I had them in my baking cupboard :( had to throw away so much stuff! I think what you've done is all you can do really. I threw everything out, cleaned the cupboard with anti bac then hoovered all the cracks and didnt put anything in there for a few weeks and when I did I got some of those air tight glass jars and stored open packets in them. Horrible things :(

We had them when I was little as my mum got some dried soup mix from one of those places where you buy foods from big barrels by weight. The freaky thing is my mum cooked the soup and they were in the soup still alive and one moved in my bowl! Then the others started moving. My mum had to bin a lot of stuff and she never bought anything from one of those shops again xx

I don't even know what a weevil is! Gonna google

Eww! They look more annoying than harmful at least?

I've never heard of weevils either till I found these horrible little bugs in my kitchen, upon googling weevils came up lol

They really are disgusting!

And summer, that is absolutely gross that they were still alive in the soup!

I think you are supposed to let the store know where you bought the flour/rice from as it could mean the whole batch of stuff in store has infestation, remember my mum doing it when we had flour weevils when I was a kid, I also kept a sneaky bowl of flour with weevils and covered it with clingfilm I thought they were kinda cute :blush:

I think you are supposed to let the store know where you bought the flour/rice from as it could mean the whole batch of stuff in store has infestation, remember my mum doing it when we had flour weevils when I was a kid, I also kept a sneaky bowl of flour with weevils and covered it with clingfilm I thought they were kinda cute :blush:

Haha cute? Eeew lol!

I have no idea but I'm guessing it could've come in the rice but I bought it a while ago, there was loads of them in the rice it was horrible.

Not so sure I would want to keep them now :haha:

I guess if you have had the rice a while then its more than likely all the batch has been sold by now

I had never heard of weevils until one of my facebook friends mentioned them the other day - and now I've read this! How odd.

Do you notice them when you open the packet or are they more likely to be in a packet which has been opened?

Nevermind, I'm off to throw out my flour.

We had them at my old house, it didn't really bother me! When you get a new bag of flour, leave it in the freezer overnight to make sure there's nothing living in there from the shop or wherever it came from. Then store in airtight containers so if your kitchen does have them, it won't get into the food. All grains are likely to have weevils or parts of weevils in them, dead or alive :D Lots of kitchens have them too.

To check a bag of flour, open it carefully then just watch the flour for any movement. If you see something move, you will probably also be able to see a weevil. Make sure you're not breathing into the bag while you watch though :rofl:.

As for using it, well I probably would as long as there weren't many. It's just a little extra protein!

I had never heard of them either until I had them in a bag of bird seed. Luckily they went away easily enough after getting rid of the food source and vacuuming and a little bug spray for me. I know you can't spray your food area though.

I've never heard of weevils either till I found these horrible little bugs in my kitchen, upon googling weevils came up lol

They really are disgusting!

And summer, that is absolutely gross that they were still alive in the soup!

Could've been worse, one of my friends unknowingly had caterpillars in her rice which then turned into moths, her rice came in a breathable sack with a zip so when she opened it after a while all these moths flew out :nope: that would have scared me no end. Where my mum and dad live there are these huge creepy hawk moths, one got tangled in my hair once and I just hate them. What shocked me with the weevils was how my mum wasn't phased at all like its normal to have bugs moving in your soup xx

I keep all grains in airtight containers, the ones we don't use frequently are kept in the fridge including flour. Rice I don't have issues with, I keep it in the cupboard as we cook rice almost everyday, but I don't keep it in the plastic bag, I have a large airtight box for it.

Weetabix is the worst, I always keep it in the fridge. I had this once few months back. It was from the weetabix.

I had an infestation of something once (don't know if it was weevils) but it was coming from my fennel seeds :/ I fumigated the cupboards and threw all spices out!

Until i joined this forum i didnt even know they existed! Now i'm super vigilent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->