Anyone get delayed by atypical glandular pap?

missarcasm

Reaction score
This is my first time posting here. I hope someone can give me hope.

After 2 chemical pregnancies, we decided to try once more naturally, then if that didn't work, move on to clomid and iui with our next cycle. I'm 38 and obviously we feel pressed for time.

The same day I got my negative hpt result, I found out that I had an abmormal pap - but not the common "atypical squamous cell" kind. A more rare and more aggressive kind, called "atypical glandular cells of endocervical origin." All my research led to only fear and dread, no comfort.

Now instead of starting the new year hopeful and moving forward with clomid and iui, I will have to take at least a month off, to get a colposcopy and biopsy to see if I have cervical cancer, and unknown possible treatment, which I don't know how it will affect my reproductive organs, fertility, etc.

I hope someone has experience with this, and can give me hope for the new year.

Missarcasm, I am so sorry for your losses and about the pap results. I don't have any experience with the glandular cells type, but over the years I've had several abnormal paps (ASCUS, CIN I and dysplasia) resulting in two colposcopies, two biopsies and two cryosurgeries. My last one was in '97 so it's been a while, but I will never forget the dread and fear that came with every single bad pap, and how even now, after 15 years, I still hold my breath waiting for my pap results and celebrate every single good one like it's my first.

My guess is that the first thing your dr will want to do (and if he doesn't, I'd ask for it) is to repeat the pap smear to confirm the results. False positives on paps are very very common, as they can be caused by anything from human error in the lab to what cycle day you were on when the pap was done.

If the repeat pap shows the same results, as long as it isn't malignant, any treatment required is extremely unlikely to adversely affect your reproductive organs etc. The colposcopy itself is nothing more than an examination - the dr uses a special scope to look at your cervix. He might swab your cervix with vinegar to cause a specific reaction that makes the areas of concern more visible with the scope. If he can see the areas of concern, he'll probably take a biopsy at that time - he uses a special tool that snips off the area he wants checked. I don't recall any major pain so I think he must have numbed the area first. There was some discomfort, but it was manageable with over-the-counter drugs (ibuprofen or tylenol).

When the biopsy results come back, the treatment will depend on how deeply the tissue is affected... in my case the bad cells were limited to the surface of the cervix, so both times I was treated with cryosurgery, where the dr held a probe against my cervix that froze and killed the tissue it touched, and as the dead tissue sloughed off over the course of a week or so, it took the bad cells with it. The cryo was moderately painful - I took ibuprofen about an hour before the procedure and that helped, but I still had cramping-type pains for several hours afterward. And the week-long sloughing of dead cells was icky to say the least. The only reproductive complications of cryosurgery are very rare - it is possible for your body to form too much scar tissue on the cervix which could narrow or even block the passage through the cervix. If that happens, IUI would probably be necessary for conception (but you were about to move on to that anyway, so no sweat there). Cryo would probably require that you take a month off from ttc, but I don't think you'd have to wait any longer than that.

If the biopsy shows that deeper cells are affected, he may need to do a LEEP or a cone biopsy. Both of those are still outpatient procedures, but they remove more tissue than the cryosurgery so they have more potential side effects. They carry the same potential for scar tissue forming and blocking the cervix as the cryo does. Of bigger conern, though, is that if a large amount of the cervix is removed during the procedure, it can lead to a weakened cervix that is unable to hold in a pregnancy to term, so a cerclage stitch to hold the cervix closed might be necessary to keep the baby in until the stitch is removed at around 36 weeks gestation. Again, though, IF a LEEP or cone biopsy is necessary, that will be in your records and, once you are pregnant, your OB will keep a close watch on your cervix to make sure your pregnancy is safe. I suspect that either LEEP or a cone biopsy might force you to hold off on ttc for a bit longer than a cryo would, but I'm just guessing on that - I have no knowledge to base that upon, so try not to get too concerned about that until you talk to your dr.

In any case, you'll probably need to have paps every 6 months now until you have several clear ones in a row. But as long as everything shows that you don't have cancer, there should be nothing involved with testing or treatment that would cause you to be unable to conceive or to carry to term. I know how hard it feels to take a month or two off from ttc when you're 38 and feel like time is not on your side - it's frustrating and scary, but in the grand scheme of things, a few months at age 38 is not going to be the difference between having a baby or not having a baby.

I sincerely hope a follow-up pap reveals that you have nothing to be concerned about and you can get right back to ttc asap. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Thank you so much HappyAuntie - I really appreciate your attention to my situation. It's nice to be in contact with others who are my same age and in a similar situation. I see that you've experienced several losses too and I am sorry you had to go through that, but hope that you are on your way to good news very soon! You are right, what's one month here or there, right? At least, I want to feel that way :)

My doctor did schedule the colposcopy, and I assume that, given the more alarming nature of the abnormality, she will do a biopsy, too. Like you, I had all that cryo stuff over ten years ago, and it was extremely scary and painful, but then I was no where near trying to have a baby so I really wasn't thinking "how will this affect my ability to carry a baby if it weakens or scars my cervix?" I had no clue, was just relieved it was over (they had to do the cryo twice, and since it was the worst pain I'd ever experienced, I was not pleased.)

My concern now is that my colposcopy is scheduled for the 9th, but after taking prometrium in case I did get pregnant last cycle, I haven't gotten my period yet! it's been 4 days since I stopped b/c of the neg. test, and now I am just nervous that if it takes any longer, it might still be lingering when I'm supposed to have the colpo...

I spend so much time praying NOT to get my period so I can believe I am pregnant, and now I am not in the mood for this irony of praying it comes asap :)

Thank you again for your detailed response. It's nice to feel that someone out there cares and has wisdom to share.

Happy New Year - let this be our year :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->