anyone getting 1st trimester screen with Genetic counseling

PumpkinBump

Reaction score
Is anyone else doing a 1st trimester screen with genetic counseling? I have mine next week (ill be 13 weeks).

Just wondering.... will they be able to tell the sex of the baby from this testing? My co worker said his daughter found out she was having a boy at 12 or 13 weeks from this testing.

It's my understanding they can't tell gender just from the basic genetic screen. Your co workers daughter likely had the CVS (more invasive, kind of like an amnio) test that you can also get in the first tri. That test will tell you gender.

It's my understanding they can't tell gender just from the basic genetic screen. Your co workers daughter likely had the CVS (more invasive, kind of like an amnio) test that you can also get in the first tri. That test will tell you gender.

ah ok. So from my understanding if they find anything wrong in this screening then they will proceed with the more invasive test, and then i should know the gender if that happens. Thank you! I guess ill just wait for the 16 weeks scan :(

sometimes they can tell the gender at 13 weeks but not in all cases. My friend was told at 13 weeks "70% boy" and confirmed a few weeks later.

They can do a simple blood test now starting at 10-11 weeks. It tells you if there are any issues and the gender. My drs office has been doing it for over a year. No reason to do cvs or amnio anymore in my opinion!

They can do a simple blood test now starting at 10-11 weeks. It tells you if there are any issues and the gender. My drs office has been doing it for over a year. No reason to do cvs or amnio anymore in my opinion!

Yay! Maybe this is what they are doing. To start the testing, they took 6 blood viles from me, i hope they can do it to detect the gender!

They have a Non-Invasive Prenatal Test (NIPT) now and my OB offers it to all her patients. It is still a little on the expensive side and if you are not high risk insurance may not cover it. But the company doing this for my OB is covering the out of pocket expenses right now. It tells you everything that a CVS or an Amnio does with more accuracy and it is a simple blood test. It is done between 10 - 14 weeks and is able to tell the gender pretty accurately.

I also took the genetic counseling, since this is my first pregnancy and we wanted to cover bases for all future pregnancies as well. My results came back good for everything, so no need for my DH to take it as well.

The blood test you are talking about is marketed as Verifi, MaterniT21, Panorama, Harmony. Currently they are only offered to high risk patients or those with known genetic problems. I think that eventually this test will be offered as routine prenatal screening because of its 99% accuracy rate. It is supposed to cut down on false positive rates and the need for more invasive testing like CVS and Amnio, thus cutting down miscarriage rates as well. I've done a lot of research on this test because I'm having it at my NT scan next week! I am a high risk pregnancy and qualify. It is meant to test for Downs, Trisomy, and, if your Dr chooses the option to test for Chromosome abnormalities, you will also learn the gender, so if you don't want to know, make sure you tell them! It is a fairly new test yet and some insurance may not cover it. Thankfully mine does. I would like the test myself for (hopefully) peace of mind that all is going well.....and of course I would love to know gender that early!

I am doing a blood test this pregnancy at 10 weeks that can tell gender, trisomies, downs, etc....called Panorama. And just to say it, I am not high risk. So my doctor offers it to ALL of her patients. But we are also doing the NT scan that looks at the neck thickness, markers, etc. However, with my first pregnancy (my daughter is only 7 months, so this wasn't that long ago!) the lady who did my NT scan did confirm we were having a girl based on the ultrasound. Not sure if that's normal or not, but she knew.

I am doing a blood test this pregnancy at 10 weeks that can tell gender, trisomies, downs, etc....called Panorama. And just to say it, I am not high risk. So my doctor offers it to ALL of her patients. But we are also doing the NT scan that looks at the neck thickness, markers, etc. However, with my first pregnancy (my daughter is only 7 months, so this wasn't that long ago!) the lady who did my NT scan did confirm we were having a girl based on the ultrasound. Not sure if that's normal or not, but she knew.

Same in my case. I'm low-risk and my OB offers the Panorama test to all her patients. For now the lab doing the Panorama for her office is covering the out of pocket expenses that insurance won't cover.

Oh this is great news, it must just be the brand of test offered in our area....it even says on their website its currently only offered to high risk patients. Sounds like this test is catching on very quick, happy to hear! From the research I've done it can prevent a lot of false positives and unnecessary Amnio or CVS so why not offer it to everyone!

Oh this is great news, it must just be the brand of test offered in our area....it even says on their website its currently only offered to high risk patients. Sounds like this test is catching on very quick, happy to hear! From the research I've done it can prevent a lot of false positives and unnecessary Amnio or CVS so why not offer it to everyone!

My OB thinks it will eventually be offered to all patients (maybe in a couple of years when it catches on) and takes out all the pain and false positives that other tests give. As long as the lab is covering the out of pocket expenses, my OB's office will keep offering the test to all the patients.

Yes, this is exactly what im getting. Had the blood test done, and also going back this Friday for the scan to measure neck thickness ,etc. I hope they can tell me if its a girl or boy!

I hope that all of you ladies receive good news from your tests.

I believe NIPT tests will eventually be offered to everyone. The quad screen is just too ambiguous for many of us. But it is also very important to know, as your genetic counselor will tell you, that all NIPTs are looking at free cell placental DNA. I knew this before meeting with the GC but online you will repeatedly see references to these tests analyzing fetal DNA. This is an important difference.

I had the Verifi test done at 12 weeks after a great looking ultrasound. Two weeks later I was notified that my results came back abnormal, aneuploidies detected for both chromosome 13 and 18. This is abnormal BC no one ever has both. I am one of the few women to receive this result. I am lucky to have a doctor at MFM who has lots of amniocentesis experience with great odds. She was able to do my amnio at 15 weeks. She was wonderful. Had the procedure done last Friday and early today I got my FISH results, everything was normal. I should have full results by the end of the week. I am sharing this not to scare anyone about the accuracy of NIPTs, just to provide more information.

Again, I hope everyone's results come back great.

I hope that all of you ladies receive good news from your tests.

I believe NIPT tests will eventually be offered to everyone. The quad screen is just too ambiguous for many of us. But it is also very important to know, as your genetic counselor will tell you, that all NIPTs are looking at free cell placental DNA. I knew this before meeting with the GC but online you will repeatedly see references to these tests analyzing fetal DNA. This is an important difference.

I had the Verifi test done at 12 weeks after a great looking ultrasound. Two weeks later I was notified that my results came back abnormal, aneuploidies detected for both chromosome 13 and 18. This is abnormal BC no one ever has both. I am one of the few women to receive this result. I am lucky to have a doctor at MFM who has lots of amniocentesis experience with great odds. She was able to do my amnio at 15 weeks. She was wonderful. Had the procedure done last Friday and early today I got my FISH results, everything was normal. I should have full results by the end of the week. I am sharing this not to scare anyone about the accuracy of NIPTs, just to provide more information.

Again, I hope everyone's results come back great.

I just had this test yesterday. Good NT scan results. Has your Dr. contacted the lab? This is quite an error to make!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->