Anyone had a 16 week appt with the consultant?

Jennifurball

Mother of 1 and a bump!
Reaction score
This would be my first consultant appt, the midwife said she may never want to see me again and I will be midwife led from then. What does it involve? We are going to be short staffed on that day and just need to know how long it will be!

I am guessing I am classed as high risk because of anti epilepsy meds but I don't know what the consultant can actually do about this and whether they will be doing checks such as bloods, listening to HB etc. I am also Rhesus negative.

Can anyone enlighten me!? :)

I have to see my consultant because I developed early GD. It may work differently at your hospital, but for us it usually involves seeing the consultant for about 15-20 minutes, then going back in the waiting room to see the midwife afterwards for usual checks - tummy measurements, pee, doppler. We sometimes have to also wait to do bloods too - but I'm not sure which weeks these were on. All in all, we tend to put 2 hours in the car park and are out within an hour. Sometimes it can take a bit longer though, totally depends on how many other people are there. There isn't really an appointment per se - more when you get there your notes go to the bottom of the pile for the first one, then once you come out they go back at the bottom of the pile for the second one. This is why it varies so much!

Thanks!

What a nightmare, I hope it doesn't take hours, I feel guilty enough being out of work as it is! :blush:

Oh well, it can't be helped. Baby is the most important thing!!

yes chuck, i saw the consultant yesterday though, had to wait a bit longer than 16 weeks.

More importantly, this is at Royal Preston where you are.

Be prepared to have urine sample checked first by HCA, then you see a midwife, the midwife will ask how you have been doing, check BP and get the doppler out to listen to heart beat. She also asked if I have a phone and we recorded the heartbeat.

Midwife then went through my reasons for seeing consultant, firstly Osteoarthritis of spine, secondly my fiance has been genetically tested for giantism, which we don't yet have results.

I then saw consultant after what seemed like an age, and I am now booked for elective C Section at 39 weeks. I have been given an anaesthetist referral to check my spine for spinal block suitablitity, hoping so as I don't want a general anaesthetic.

She wants to see my again after my 20 week scan, which was booked for 1st December, that however is a Thursday and consultant is not in clinic on a Thursday, I am down for Monday clinics. The receptionist on antenatal clinic phoned and moved my scan to 28th November and seeing consultant again after. I am definately seeing consultant again at 30 weeks, at which point she will decide how often she then wants to see me.

I will be honest, my appointment was 10.15, I came out of antenatal clinic at 12.40. Be prepared to be there a while, apparently one of the docs got called to delivery suite for an emergency and it meant much longer waiting times, however, if it was me in delivery, I would want that doc there, so we can't complain.

Its likely with epilepsy she will want to keep an eye on you. It was Dr Gupta that I saw, and she really is lovely.

I think ours is a worse case example because the diabetic team have to go through all my numbers for the last two weeks and decide what to do next, and then when I see the consultant she tends to get confused by what has already been said and often has to go and check with them! The midwife part is usually the quickest bit once you are in there, as it is just standard stuff.
As I said, it's probably different everywhere and you may just have to see the consultant and no-one else (and she'll do the usual checks too instead of making you see someone else)

I would still anticipate allowing an hour though, but it could just as easily be over in 10 mins. :)

Im cons led care as I have low BMI and grand para children this is baby no9 for us...I see cons when im 15-16 weeks same procedure as mw really same checks ,urine,bp,feel of tummy maybe and may even try listen to babys hb...They then go through some paperwork with you...I still see my mw when im meant to but I see cons again at 28,32,36,38,40 weeks ....Just for check up really and a chat ...ive been cons led with all my lot huni xxx

Part of me worries exactly why they have to see me. My medication only affects the first trimester development (slightly higher risk of neural tube defects and cleft lip and palate) so I was on extra folic acid.

So adjusting my meds now would be completely pointless, do you think they saw something in the 12 week scan that concerned them? Is it possible they would do this and not let me know there and then? The tech did say everything looked normal for 12 weeks but who knows?

I know I am looking deep into things but I really do think adjusting my meds now would serve no purpose so why would the consultant monitor me now? :(

I would say seeing as you were told at booking you needed to be seen by a consultant, which is before the 12 weeks scan, its nothing to do with the scan hun. Don't worry yourself about that.

Even if your epilepsy was well controlled before pregnancy, it may not be during pregnancy. They may also consider that your delivery could be higher risk of consultant intervention and they may want to book a peadiatrician for the delivery, for many reasons.

After doc went through my notes and noted I was not exactly mobile, she also put me on low dose aspirin to prevent any clots.

Honestly hun, I really would not worry too much, its far better that they keep an eye on you just in case rather than their be a problem and they are not watching you so closely. Many diseases are monitored more carefully through pregnancy.

I mention the paediatrician being present, as I was told I can now take my oromorph as a painkiller if I need to, however if I use it more than occasionally, they need to know to book a paediatrician to be present at my C Section to check over baby straight after delivery. I really don't want to take it, but I know the option is there and does kind of help me.

You said yourself earlier hun, babies health is all that matters, just go along and don't worry :hugs:

No no no.. don't get yourself thinking the worst!
From what I've experienced, even the slightest thing in your life that *could* cause difficulties and you are automatically under consultant care. I really doubt it's anything more than protocol, so def don't get yourself all nervous about it.
:)

Thank you. :)

As you as you pass one hurdle, another appears!!

I will try to keep calm. x

I saw the consultant at 16 week as i lost my little girl two years ago at 20 weeks. i saw a midwife to start wife who took some more bloods and did a urine sample blood pressure and things, the consultant then went through all my notes and blood test results. Looked at all my old notes and scan pictures from last pregnancy. She then spoke with the head consultant and it was decided that they did not think i was at any risk so unless anything changed i did not need to see them again. I was there about an hour in the end though maybe a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->