Anyone had an EMCS and not sure what to do next time?

dom85

Mum of 2, 3rd on the way
Reaction score
I had a c section with DS after being induced, I was contracting for four days before he got into distress and had to have a CS. The whole thing was horrible and not something I'm keen to repeat. I had always said after I had him that I would not be induced again, I was induced at 38 weeks because of gestational diabetes which I am likely to get again because of my own history and a strong family history of it.

Now I'm pregnant again and I just don't know whether to have an elective cs or not. Obviously I am doing everything I can to minimize my risks of getting GD again, and I still dont want to be induced but I remember the pain afterwards very clearly still and I had an allergic reaction to the pain meds last time so I'm scared there wont be anything I can take to relive the pain when I come home. On the other hand though it would be easier to arrange care for my DS if we know when this one is coming.

Is anyone else in a similar position? What option are you leaning more towards?

I WAS in that position. I didn't have GD with my first but ended up with an emergency section with him. I had GD with my daughter and agonised over having an elective or not.

In the end I chose the elective and I was/am pleased I did. I probably would have been happy either way though.

On a side note, I can't believe they induce at 38 weeks for GD where you are! GD babies often have trouble breathing when they are early.

I WAS in that position. I didn't have GD with my first but ended up with an emergency section with him. I had GD with my daughter and agonised over having an elective or not.

In the end I chose the elective and I was/am pleased I did. I probably would have been happy either way though.

On a side note, I can't believe they induce at 38 weeks for GD where you are! GD babies often have trouble breathing when they are early.

They don't let you go beyond 38 weeks here because they said that there is a much higher rate of stillbirth if GD babies are left to go to 40 weeks. It seemed a bit ridiculous to me because my body was so not ready to give birth, when I went in they said my cervix was completely unfavourable for induction but they had to do it anyway. They didn't actually look at how well controlled I was, yes I was on insulin but I didn't have a huge baby and my sugars were excellent.

I don't feel negatively about the cs, I'm just glad he got here safely but I did have a horrible time breastfeeding and really didn't produce anything and I do wonder if that's because of the c section.

I had GD with my last pregnancy. Was induced at 39 weeks and ended up having an emcs when he became distressed. i fell pregnant four months pp. and have decided on an elective c section this time around. i honestly dont want to go through all the labor and pushing to end up having an emergency c section again. i rather have it all planned and have my head ready for it. that is just my opinion. I had a natural birth with my first son at 40+6 weeks. so i have been through all that already :)

Yes, I'm going back and forward between the two. I was induced at 41+3 weeks (he was just wayyyyyy too comfy!!) but my waters had broken before I was induced. Anyway after the pessary, the drip and the "super-duper dose" of the drip, I hadn't progressed past 4 cm so they (finally) decided to do the section. By that stage I had an infection so it ended up an emergency under general anaesthetic (sp?) and me and DS were on IV antibiotics for a couple of days.

This is probably my last so I would kinda like to do the natural thing, but it would be so much easier in terms of getting DS looked after if I went for the C-section. I had a very easy recovery but even still, as my DH doesn't drive we were a bit house-bound for a while.

What I absolutely don't want is for them to let me go naturally and THEN decide I need a C-section, so it all goes to hell like last time!!

I had preeclampsia with my first and had an EMCS after 32 hours. I opted for VBAC with my second but I suffer from insufficient pelvic space and ended up with a failed VBAC and sort of elective c-section. It was still rushed but I had more time to prepare. Honestly knowing what to expect and the fact it was more relaxed made it a million times better than my EMCS. I definitely would have loved a VBAC but was pleased with my RCS.

I was induced at 39+2. My section wasn't an emergency - after 10 hours on the highest amount of pitocin they could give me, I only got to 1cm. And they stretched me to 1.5cm to break my water - 2 hours after that, I hadn't budged from 1.5cm. They suggested a section, and I happily agreed. I had a feeling that I would end up with an EMCS and didn't want to get that far.

I'm 28 weeks with #2 and still debating. I think I'm going VBAC, but will honestly not be disappointed if I end up with a section. I have a strong feeling this little monkey will be breech and will basically require another section anyway, HA!

My section went well, I was able to hold my daughter and nurse her within 30 minutes of her being born. We had some breastfeeding issues initially, but nothing out of the ordinary - and we ended up BFing for 14 months after that. I think having the more relaxed atmosphere helped tremendously. An elective RCS would definitely have that!

Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear a positive experience of breastfeeding after a cs. It's something that I do worry about because I had such a rough time last time with it and ended up formula feeding. I really would like to try again, I'm just hoping that it's not as stressful as last time.

I am currently Ttc 2 after having a emergency section with my little boy.

I've already made the decision to have an elective section next time. I was in labour for 22 hours previously and after getting stuck at 4cm my son started getting stressed with his heart rate slowing with every contraction. I worry that next time the same sort of thing happens and I end up with a section anyway.
I did have a good experience with the section and didnt have too much trouble with the healing though.

I'm undecided too will see what my obgyn says nearer the time!

But just to say we had the most traumatic EMCS, he came with an AGPAR of 2, and we had no issues with breastfeeding despite the trauma. He was born at 39+6 which may have helped a little! A section doesn't mean a bad bf experience xxx

I am in the same position. My daughter was overdue and birth ended up very traumatic and in emcs. I saw my consultant yesterday and said I am leaning towards ELCS as we have no family around, so it will make things much easier with little one as if we have a date my mum can fly over and help with her. Have you had a referral for presar clinic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->