anyone had tests for having MC's ??

brillbride

Reaction score
hi girls----had my 2nd MC the 23rd of May there....im reading alan beers book "is your body baby friendly" and it says that you shouldnt wait for a 3rd MC before testing --that u should get tested ASAP

anyway i live in ireland... just wondering where to go for tests and if anyone has had them done and if they were any good???

Hi I have only had one mc at 12 weeks, and its been a complicated recovery. The consultant at the hospital said it was bad luck and to try again and offered no tests, however I went to see my GP the other day and after we talked for a while she said she would do some basic tests. You should definatly ask for some tests its not acceptable to wait to have a 3rd mc. My GP said that she usually starts tests after 2.

So sorry for your losses :hugs:

Im from the UK by the way so cannot offer advice about where to go

Heya. Don't know if this helps any, but I'm from northern
Ireland. I had a miscarriage, an ectopic and then another miscarriage. Had my last miscarriage in December and the EPP clinic at the hospital told me that they wouldn't run any tests until I've had 3 miscarriages in a row. Apparently ectopics
don't count. I've just switched gps and am hoping that I'm able to convince him to start testing me now. I hope he doesn't have the same rules as the hospital

so I guess you should speak to your gp to see what they say, but
don't be surprised if they tell you you have to wait.

Hope this helps a little

xoxo

The NHS policy is generally not to do tests until after three m/c in a row because statistically it is (sadly) not that uncommon to have two. Private doctors will probably test after two, but obviously you have to pay. There might be some GPs who will run some basic tests though.

Ectopic pregnancy is a different problem, which is why they don't "count".

The "is your body baby friendly" book and its theory is pretty controversial, also the tests involved are expensive and only done privately - would recommend Prof Lesley Regan's book as a good one about the more conventional NHS tests.

The sticky recurrent m/c thread in the m/c section of this site is good.

hi girls--thanks so much 4 replies--funny both replies are so different and both of you are part of the UK--i myself am in Northern Ireland (border) work in Ireland!!lol... so my GP etc is in UK---i was told at the Royal belfast that I wouldnt get tested until i had 3 and that even with that the tests arent conclusive...however since reading DR Beers book--i want to get tested .....

Maybe a visit to the local GP would be the 1st step.....or maybe a private appointment somewhere else.....I have read of people going to London for tests.....I just want to do the right thing...thanks girls..xx

No probs Hun. It was the ulster hosp in dundonald that told
me I'd have to wait. So it seems that the hospitals in northern
Ireland are following the same set of rules.

I'll let you know what my gp says about testing now, and you ask yours the same. There's no harm in asking lol.

thanks ALLY--would so love to know how u get on---so please keep me posted -thanks--i finish up with work in a week so wil have more time then to go to GP..

thanks 4 that smiler--i wasnt aware of this thread.xx

The NHS policy is generally not to do tests until after three m/c in a row because statistically it is (sadly) not that uncommon to have two. Private doctors will probably test after two, but obviously you have to pay. There might be some GPs who will run some basic tests though.

The "is your body baby friendly" book and its theory is pretty controversial, also the tests involved are expensive and only done privately - would recommend Prof Lesley Regan's book as a good one about the more conventional NHS tests.

hi Smiler--i cant find the above thread on recurrent mc--i must be blind...xx

hi Smiler--i cant find the above thread on recurrent mc--i must be blind...xx

Its at the top of the miscarriage forum x

I was quite lucky in getting millions of tests done after my 2nd loss. I had a 5 week miscarriage and fell pregnant straight away then lost Isabella in the 2nd trimester.

Because she was a 2nd trimester loss, and also because I have had two placental abruptions with my last two children they sent me for a lot of tests but I haven't had the results back yet.

I know it's pretty standard everywhere in the UK to wait until after 3.

Hi Brillbride
Also from N. Ireland, and i have got tested at the Royal. After my 2nd m/c i was under my IVF doc (didnt do ivf because i got pregnant naturally) anyway because I was 40 i wanted tests done so for starters my doc tested me for anticardiolipin which came back elevated. So he started me on aspirin. Depends on the Doctor you have I think. What age are you?
Anyway next pregnancy miscarried again for the 3rd time and then the Royal did all the RMC tests and a hysteroscopy. I am now under a lovely Gynea doc and Hematologist at the Royal / City hospital who will monitor next pregnancy every week. Fingers crossed. Good luck. xo

p.s. do you recommend that book i was going to buy it?

I have had one mc and because my periods have not settled down the doctor is doing lots of tests, had blood tests and going for a scan in a couple of weeks x

Hi Brillbride
Also from N. Ireland, and i have got tested at the Royal. After my 2nd m/c i was under my IVF doc (didnt do ivf because i got pregnant naturally) anyway because I was 40 i wanted tests done so for starters my doc tested me for anticardiolipin which came back elevated. So he started me on aspirin. Depends on the Doctor you have I think. What age are you?
Anyway next pregnancy miscarried again for the 3rd time and then the Royal did all the RMC tests and a hysteroscopy. I am now under a lovely Gynea doc and Hematologist at the Royal / City hospital who will monitor next pregnancy every week. Fingers crossed. Good luck. xo

p.s. do you recommend that book i was going to buy it?

hi Patboy---glad u wil have such careful monitoring---that will be great--the royal said they would scan me at 6 wks at earliest--if/when i get pregnant again...Im 30..... 31 at the end of the year....I am DEF going to take Aspirin next time I get pregnant ---Dont know whether to start taking it before I get pregnant or not----?...Would you recommend the tests? do you have to go daily for tests or not? just wondering as i live a good distance away from Belfast!!
Yes Fingers crossed for us all:):)xx

O yes--the book--it arrived yesterday and i have only read some of it--I think that you would enjoy (if thats the word) this book--i got it on Amazon..the only downfall is--that it is a USA book so the treatments etc are not going to be suitable to us unless we are millionaires and fly over and pay for it..reviews on amazon are excellent

i had m/c in feb--asked my doc for as many tests as i could read up on he did them all and said they were normal
patboy i am really interested in the test you had-think i will ask for that too i am sure my doc thinks i am totally mad but he has been supportive. do you think it is worth trying asprin without a diagnosis? when do you start taking it? after my dand c in hospital they just said it was bad luck and to try again but as i am 41 i don't have a huge amount of time x

hi glitterqueen -im no expert on the aspirin --but i do know about 4 people who just started taken it after having a few MC's--they took it as soon as they had a positive test and they went on to have healthy babies... a baby aspirin a day--its a tiny amount....wont do any harm even if there is no diagnosis for taken it---only thing is--it will make you bleed more..so i think about 24 wks--u have to stop taken it.x

I'm ttc at the min and I've started taking aspirin already. I figured it wouldn't do any harm. I haven't started tests of anything yet and my doc hasn't suggested aspirin but after reading about it on so many threads on here, i decided to give it a go

I'm ttc at the min and I've started taking aspirin already. I figured it wouldn't do any harm. I haven't started tests of anything yet and my doc hasn't suggested aspirin but after reading about it on so many threads on here, i decided to give it a go

hi ALLY--i might do the same myself--was going to start--except im due my AF anytime soon and dont want to bleed more than normal....but def next cycle im going to start taken it every now and then....

RU taken baby aspirin Or are you just taken a normal aspirin and dividing it in 4 or what?XX

Your right. There's no point in taking it before AF. I would suggest starting on around day 7 of your cycle. I'm taking baby aspirin. 1 a day. Got it in boots but I had to ask for it behind the counter cos they only kept regular aspirin out on the shelves.

Thanks ALLy--i went as far as buying aspirin at the local shop--was going to have to cut it into four as didnt think u could buy baby aspirin without doctor note etc...so thats great---thanks..x

Brillbride
After 3 miscarriages they are very good at the Royal they do all the RMC tests..... because my anticardiolipin has came back elevated twice now thats why im on 75 mg of aspirin, 5 mg of folic acid and when i get my next BFP i start herparin injections.

Royal also referred to the Citys Hematologist a lovely doctor also who has did more blood tests on this specific blood clotting area. When i get my next BFP both doctors will see my weekly to monitor the pregnancy up to 12 weeks.

Glitterqueen
Feel free to PM me if i havent answered your question. Like yourself i know the auld tick tock going off and it aint nice!! I would check with you doctor before taking aspirin but some people dont!! I started the aspirin and folic acid 2 weeks ago after my hysteroscopy. Definately push for this anticardiolipin test as this is a blood clotting test and it one of the most common causes of m/c which is why my ivf doc did this one first after my second m/c.
xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->