Anyone have a baby on an AOP (Apnea of Prematurity) Monitors

runner311

Reaction score
Just curious how many families out there have a baby come home on caffeine and an AOP monitor.

My daughter was born 8 weeks early at 31w3d. She was discharged on 1ml of caffeine daily, now reduced to .5ml daily to ween her off. She was 48 weeks yesterday gestation. We hope to be off the caffeine at her doctor appointment next week and then only keep the monitor for another 4-6 weeks to monitor to make sure things are ok.

In the time she has been home, her last event was recorded on 7/17 but otherwise we haven't had any other episodes occur at home. This was reassuring when I heard this. I still cant help but jump out of bed in the middle of the night when the alarm goes off.

I am scared to death about taking her off that monitor. I know that preemies outgrow AOP but I fear that I will be sleeping next to her bassinet nightly listening to her breath.

I need some reassurance from anyone else going through the same thing please... its such a scary time.

Sorry I can't really offer any advice, as my dd wasn't on the monitor when we got home, only in the NICU. She had to basically not have any incidents for 7 days to be able to come home. And so when we brought her home I was so afraid because even though she hadn't had any for the last 7 days, I was so paranoid because I didn't have a monitor telling me if she was breathing, so I would constantly check on her all night and wouldn't get any sleep. All I can say is after a while you do get used to it. If you need to, keep using the monitor for a while but eventually start to wean yourself off of being so dependent on it. Your LO will grow more and be able to lift their head more and eventually it won't really be an issue anymore. Just remind yourself it's not forever! I know it's hard but this time will pass soon and you'll have a crazy toddler running around and you'll wonder where the heck the time has gone!

Our girls weren't on apnea monitors when they came home, BUT we do use the Snuza Hero on each girl every night (bought them on Amazon). They clip on their diapers and alert us if they stop breathing. We've only had false alarms (when the Snuzas have fallen off due to our active sleepers!), but I still think they're the only reason I can sleep peacefully at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->