Anyone have any experience with Self Administered Epidural?

Cajadaem

Reaction score
Hi, i am being induced, and having an early epidural. At my hospital appointment this week, when i made my birth plan, we discussed the epidural, how it works ect.
This is where i found out i will be having a self administered epidural, not something that had even crossed my mind, so of course now i am wanting to hear from anyone that has had one, especially if in UK.

Self administered as in you hit a button to give yourself a boost? I had that with my first. I could only press the button once every couple of hours if I wanted which I did. Just had no desire to feel labor lol.

yes its a button you have to press, which can be done every 30mins apparently. Just wandered what it was like, as i was set to thinking it was administered and would last a few hours or something, so this has got me thinking

I thought that's how all epidurals were? With mine i had a little button i could push if i started to feel pain or anything, but i never felt like i needed to. However, i did push it once right before pushing, just to give a little bit of an extra boost to get me through.

That was how mine was with my c-section, I just thought they were all like that!

Yep mine was like that (the whole hour I had it before being rushed off for emcs )

I could push it ALL I liked.... but it was only dispensed every 15 minutes.

To be honest mine hadn't taken full effect before I went to theatre (I could still transfer myself from bed to table)

But it's did mean I had the pain off the contractions!

Yep mine was like that (the whole hour I had it before being rushed off for emcs )

To be honest mine hadn't taken full effect before I went to theatre (I could still transfer myself from bed to table)

I guess they do them differently if you are going straight into surgery, mine took full effect within minutes! They probably give you a much stronger dose if you are doing it right before an EMCS. I didn't even feel any pressure, let alone be able to move! Felt like my legs were floating away...

I guess they do them differently if you are going straight into surgery, mine took full effect within minutes! They probably give you a much stronger dose if you are doing it right before an EMCS. I didn't even feel any pressure, let alone be able to move! Felt like my legs were floating away...

I'd guess so, I wasn't meant to be going to surgery and then when I did they just did more drugs down the epidural site and it was a Spinal. Totally can't remember what it was like was major emergency Just that I was screaming cut me......

Yep, mine was like that. I just hit the button whenever I felt I needed a top up. I think there was a lockout period, i.e. you could only hit the button every so often and if you hit it more often then nothing would happen, but I don't remember how long it was.

the one I had when I had my daughter was like this too. I don't remember all that much about it, but I do know that I had no pain. The only trouble was pushing her out as I couldn't feel anything so I didn't have a clue what I was doing!

I'd guess so, I wasn't meant to be going to surgery and then when I did they just did more drugs down the epidural site and it was a Spinal. Totally can't remember what it was like was major emergency Just that I was screaming cut me......

That must have been so terrifying! Mine was an EMCS as it wasn't an ELCS, and I had severe pre-eclampsia so time was of the essence, but it was not a real emergency, I mean I guess it was as I didn't realize the gravity of the pre-eclampsia situation while I was in it as I wasn't having any symptoms, but having read now what could have happened, I think it was more serious than I thought, but it wasn't the acute emergency "have to get the baby out NOW" kind of emergency.

That must have been so terrifying! Mine was an EMCS as it wasn't an ELCS, and I had severe pre-eclampsia so time was of the essence, but it was not a real emergency, I mean I guess it was as I didn't realize the gravity of the pre-eclampsia situation while I was in it as I wasn't having any symptoms, but having read now what could have happened, I think it was more serious than I thought, but it wasn't the acute emergency "have to get the baby out NOW" kind of emergency.

They are very good at playing it down even when it is a have to get the baby out now sityation! must have to be very calm to be a doctor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->