anyone have insufficient glandular tissue and bf?

rubysoho120

Soon to be mama of 2
Reaction score
Im worried that is what is wrong with me. I couldn't breastfeed last time. Not enough milk. I was researching because I am pregnant and want to bf so bad. Has anyone had igt and been able to breastfeed?

How do you know you didn't have enough milk last time? Many women think they have low supply but actually don't.

There are women with IGT who EP so I'm sure it can be done with nursing as well. I think they often have to take medication such as domperidone, though.

I've read that supply tends to increase with each baby so maybe you will be just fine this time around :thumbup:

I have IGT!!!!
I have never ever been able to EBF any of my babies, but i do BF them as long as possible and then supplement w donor milk.

You CAN BF with IGT... pretty much all IGT ladies that i know cannot EBF. they nurse and then supp.
Now, i have made more milk w each baby, but not a full supply. I had to supp. 26oz w my first, 18oz with my second, and right now we are supping. about 7oz with my third (but needs to increase, so probably more like 10oz). So i have grown a little tissue and making slightly more, but still unable to EBF....this is not uncommon with IGT in the least. But you cant know what you'll make until the time comes. It really comes down to how severe IGT you have (if you have it, there are lot of reasons why milk fails to come in, IGT is one, but there are others like hormonal reasons, etc). But anyways, i have severe IGT, so no, i can't EBF and probably never will, but another IGT mom might not have it AS severe, so she may be able to EBF. It's different for everyone.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!
also this is a WONDERFUL support network:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IGTmamas/

Wow thank you so much for your reply. Were you diagnosed by a dr or did you just know. I'm pretty sure I have igt just don't know how severe. You gave me hope.

Wow thank you so much for your reply. Were you diagnosed by a dr or did you just know. I'm pretty sure I have igt just don't know how severe. You gave me hope.

So after I had DS1 and my milk literally never came in, I met w an LC 3-4x per week for well over a month. I even had bloodwork done and the hole 9 yards. At two months in and still needing to supp. I basically got told by the LC that she didn't know why I couldn't EBF. She did have a theory about widely spaced breast and mentioned it subtly once but then dismissed it. She never mentioned IGT but in hindsight I think she just didn't have the nerve to tell me that's what it was.
I knew my breast weren't anywhere near normal and kind of looked deformed but didn't think I would ever have this issue. But anyways, I did a lot of soul searching and tons of reading when I became pregnant with DS2. (Maybe slightly before that) I came to the conclusion that i suffered from IGT. Then once I had DS2 I hired myself an IBCLC and she confirmed that i did indeed have IGT. My doctor agreed. (A lot of doctors don't know anything about IGT. In fact most ppl think it doesn't even exist :dohh:). The thing is a lot of IGTers are self DXed bc there is such little info out there and so many care providers know nothing about it. Getting a 'real' DX from a professional is tough to get bc of the limited knowledge. So lost women don't have professional DX bc of that. I however was lucky w my IBCLC.

If u join that FB group, you will find many women wondering if that's their issue. Most of the time they are right but want validated. The IGT group can help u decide if u have IGT. They won't totally DX but they can certainly give opinions. It's a very helpful group.

Be sure to check this blog out. I met the writer through the IGT group. She has a great blog on BFing w IGT. Read this one specifically for help determining if u have it or not: https://diaryofalactationfailure.blogspot.com/2011/12/many-faces-well-not-faces-of-igt.html?m=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->