Anyone have very heavy periods??? How to cope?

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
I have been suffering from heavy periods since the birth of my son in 2003. They are so heavy that I get clots the size of my hand, I go through a super plus tampon AND a maxi pad in less than an hour, I flood my clothing all the time, and I have had to miss work in the past. I am always wearing overnight maxis, doubled up, and when I go to the loo, it is a blood bath. I am supposed to get a hysterectomy for it, but I have decided to wait a year because I start a brand new job in two weeks and i don't want to leave on medical as soon as I start. So, I have to live with this for another year, but was wondering how others cope? I have tried ibuprophen, and it does help, but then my flow lasts even longer (which already lasts at least 10 days). I know I can't be the only one out there...my OB/GYN said that many women suffer through it. It sucks, and I dread AF...which comes every 25 days. I am always anemic too...no energy.

I know how difficult life can be with heavy periods. I was having such terrible problems that it lead to anemia. Last year had a procedure called endometrial ablation that changed my life. It is a minor procedure that destroys (ablates) the uterine lining, or endometrium. I know have very short and light periods. Its truly amazing.

My periods used to be frequent, lengthy and heavy, although not quite as bad as you've described. My doctor prescribed a particular brand of contraceptive pill, which led to a dramatic improvement over 3-6 months. By the 6 month mark I'd gone from a 21 day cycle with 7 day heavy periods to 1 day with a panty liner each month.

I know how difficult life can be with heavy periods. I was having such terrible problems that it lead to anemia. Last year had a procedure called endometrial ablation that changed my life. It is a minor procedure that destroys (ablates) the uterine lining, or endometrium. I know have very short and light periods. Its truly amazing.

Hey, I asked about that procedure, as my friend had it done, but my OB didn't recommend it because he said it only lasts 10 years. I liked the idea, because to me it seemed better than getting a hysterectomy, but he said mine was so severe, that he thought a hysterectomy would be best. I might get a second opinion on it, or, maybe they could do that in the meantime.

My periods used to be frequent, lengthy and heavy, although not quite as bad as you've described. My doctor prescribed a particular brand of contraceptive pill, which led to a dramatic improvement over 3-6 months. By the 6 month mark I'd gone from a 21 day cycle with 7 day heavy periods to 1 day with a panty liner each month.

I wish I could take a pill. They won't allow it! I have had bloodclotting difficulties in the past, so I am not a candidate. The pill seems like such a quick and easy fix to me.

Have you tried the coil? Thats supposed to help with heavy periods.

I have the same problem! Its depressing isnt it. I find the only way i can leave the house is to use a mooncup and that gives me an hour usually, sometimes less. But its much cheaper than changing billions of tampax a day. also its very messy, but im sure your used to that.

i have never tried a mooncup. Is that the same thing as an Instead Cup??? I figured those would leak, but they don't??? Maybe I will give it a go next time. Yes...I was telling hubby....all my 'supplies' adds up in cost...I wonder how much I spend per cycle??? What is the coil???

I was given tranexamic acid to help. After mc my periods were like yours and I also had to take time off work. I found this helped me massively.

I was given tranexamic acid to help. After mc my periods were like yours and I also had to take time off work. I found this helped me massively.

What is that??? Is it like a bcp? I wouldn't mind trying to find something for the year I have to wait. It is horrible...and fat chance trying to find someone sympathetic at work when they find out you are off for your period!!!

i tried an instead cup but that did leak, the mooncup is the same idea but it never had leaked for me. It does over flow though, i think it holds something like 15mls, so once it gets that full it does overflow! eck! but ive always changed hourly so hardly ever had that problem, and in fairlness thats a huge amount of blood, which sounds like you lose too.

The coil is a form of birth control, its really advised here, its inserted into your cervix and sits there, in teh majority of cases periods are exteremley light or non-exisitant.

Transexemic acid, isnt a form of birth control, its supposed to help with bleeding, never worked for me but does for lots of women.

I know this is a UK link, but it has some suggestions on treatment, have a look
https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Periods-heavy/Pages/Treatment.aspx

I used Mefenamic Acid which was mainly for the pain but also reduced the length and heaviness of the bleeding.

Since having my Mirena Coil fitted it has reduced the bleeding dramatically and I now have only normal periods! I didn't have them as severely as you though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->