Anyone having an elective C-section? (medical reasons)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by aliss, Apr 5, 2011.

  1. aliss

    aliss Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Messages:
    25,989
    Likes Received:
    3
    Just wondering if any of you are having an elective C-section, for medical reasons but not due to previous sections?? And if so, how did you go about discussing it with your health care provider? I'm not pg yet again but I will be seeking one (based on medical reasons), which is optional, and I'm just wondering how you went about approaching and researching it. Did you meet with resistance? I did not have one last time but I have valid medical reasons this time, which is again optional but the choice I want to make.

    Thank you!!
     
  2. Teacake <3

    Teacake <3 Proud mummy of 2!

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hiya I am having an elective section at 39 wks with my second baby on July 5th. I had a previous emergency section with my son at 37+3 as he was low birth weight and extremely distressed after being induced failed numerous times.

    The process of being induced has left me petrified, I had a horrible experience and although it wasn't the cause of my sons critical medical condition after birth I have a total fear of being put through it again.

    As soon as I saw my midwife at booking I told her I wasn't prepared to go overdue and risk being induced again and considering my history and my previous pregnancy she literally rang the consultant while I was there with her to book me in to see her an discuss my options- she was really supportive and said I probably would be advised against a natural birth after everything I went through having my son and taking into consideration my depression. The consultant was equally helpful and supportive and told me that induction after a section increases the chances of uterine rupture substantially and so they would advise againt being induced this tome anyway and the best solution was to book me in at 39 weeks- I did compromise with her too in that if I spontaneously go into labour/ my waters break before 39 weeks if I progress natually they will go with it if it looks like I can have a natural delivery however if this happens and my body fights it like it did last time they will take me down for a section. I feel really at ease this time knowing I won't fo through the traumas I did with my previous pregnancy and can't fault the support of my consultant and midwife!

    I'm also having 2weekly scans from 28weeks to ensure growth is on track as this is a major concern having a low birth weight baby previously!

    Hope this helps?! Xxx
     
  3. Teacake <3

    Teacake <3 Proud mummy of 2!

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hiya I am having an elective section at 39 wks with my second baby on July 5th. I had a previous emergency section with my son at 37+3 as he was low birth weight and extremely distressed after being induced failed numerous times.

    The process of being induced has left me petrified, I had a horrible experience and although it wasn't the cause of my sons critical medical condition after birth I have a total fear of being put through it again.

    As soon as I saw my midwife at booking I told her I wasn't prepared to go overdue and risk being induced again and considering my history and my previous pregnancy she literally rang the consultant while I was there with her to book me in to see her an discuss my options- she was really supportive and said I probably would be advised against a natural birth after everything I went through having my son and taking into consideration my depression. The consultant was equally helpful and supportive and told me that induction after a section increases the chances of uterine rupture substantially and so they would advise againt being induced this tome anyway and the best solution was to book me in at 39 weeks- I did compromise with her too in that if I spontaneously go into labour/ my waters break before 39 weeks if I progress natually they will go with it if it looks like I can have a natural delivery however if this happens and my body fights it like it did last time they will take me down for a section. I feel really at ease this time knowing I won't fo through the traumas I did with my previous pregnancy and can't fault the support of my consultant and midwife!

    I'm also having 2weekly scans from 28weeks to ensure growth is on track as this is a major concern having a low birth weight baby previously!

    Hope this helps?! Xxx
     
  4. Rósa

    Rósa Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    Messages:
    390
    Likes Received:
    0
    Im having an elective section on friday because a fibroid I have has grown and is covering the cervix so I would never give birth naturally, also baby is breech!
    because of the fibroid Im more at risk of haemorraghing during the c-section as well :(

    bricking it tbh
     
  5. jen_0709

    jen_0709 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2008
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm having an elective c section on Tues 12th due to previous big baby (9lb 6.5oz), incredibly slow labour that resulted in shoulder dystocia and emergency vaginal delivery. The baby was heavily distressed and ended up in special care for 3/4 days due to breathing difficulties and blood sugars.

    So..... To avoid the most traumatic experience again, we've thought long and hard and have elected for a section this time. I have no idea what to expect but have been reassured by many that a planned section is often calm, relaxed and the recovery is much better than emergency situations.

    I have been monitored with growth scans this time and to be honest had it quite easy in telling the consultant and getting what I wanted as I was told right from the start (and from the birth of DS) that I wouldn't be allowed to go a day overdue and would most probably be advised to have a section or be induced a few weeks early.

    Once I had made my decision they were very supportive.

    I think as long as you have medical reasons or experienced a bad previous birth, it's fairly straightforward to get the support you need.

    Good luck xx
     
  6. aliss

    aliss Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2009
    Messages:
    25,989
    Likes Received:
    3
    THank you so much girls!!!

    Jen_0709: Mine is also a result of severe shoulder dystocia (he had some fractures as a result).

    Glad to hear you girls all have had some supportive doctors and not so much resistance.
     
  7. Berniep

    Berniep Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    Messages:
    3,683
    Likes Received:
    0
    If i don't go into labour naturally b4 39 weeks i'm booked in for a section on the 21st, my 1st labour i was induced and due to baby been big suffered a 3rd degree tear, with my 2nd son he had a problem with his heart so they decided to deliver him by section at 34 weeks, this time round they have left the decision upto me but have said they don't want to induce me or let me go too much over as they think its another big baby. I decided we would book the section for 39 weeks (this is the earliest they would do it but said i could leave it as long as 41 weeks for 1)but if i do go into labour i want to give it a go even though it may end up as a section anyway if i don't progress or baby becomes distressed x
     
  8. jen_0709

    jen_0709 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2008
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    0
    Aliss - sorry to hear you have experienced SD too. I hope your little one hasn't suffered since.

    I would be utterly shocked if your wishes for a c section weren't supported due to that.

    xx
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice