Anyone know anything about tools (gift for DH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
So I saw this going on Amazon for a lightening deal so I asked on FB and had a couple of my guy friends respond and said it was a good deal. I know NOTHING about tools so I have nothing to base it on but it looked good to me. Well this is what I got

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C6DXL/ref=oss_T15_product

So then I played stupid with Mark and acted like a friend of mine was asking for her husband and if he thought it would be good. He didn't see it, I just told him a little about it and he said he has never heard of the brand and that he wouldn't recommend anything other than Dewalt that they are hands down the best and he wouldn't want anything else. So GREAT! :cry: Now I'm all worried it's not very good and he won't like it :( But then I found this review so I'm thinking maybe it is really good and he just doesn't know and hoping he will like it once he tries it

https://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2009/07/skil-18v-drill/

Anyways more venting I guess but does anyone or their husbands happen to know if it is any good? Any experience with the brand??

Also I wanted to get him this to go with it but not completely sure it will work with it...anyone know?

https://www.amazon.com/Denali-Drill...ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1261008231&sr=1-9

Thanks if you actually read through this :nope:

I know nothing about tools :lol:

I did ask Stan about it though and he told me he's heard of the brand but not used it himself so couldn't say how good it was

Ok I ended up just showing Mark last night because I was worried he wouldn't like it and knew it would ship today so I showed him so I could cancel in time but he actually likes the way it looks and read that review and said he thinks it will be good so hopefully it is :)

Hi hon! :wave:

My DH has several Skil tools.. my next door neighbor (who is "uncle" to Otter and stores his tools in our garage :haha:) also has several Skil things. I also used to use Skil tools when I was a zookeeper. :mrgreen:

It is a good upper mid level brand. They aren't the very top of the line (hense you can find them on better deals), but they are nowhere near crap. Basically, it is good brand to buy when you want quality and reliabilty but don't have the $$ or desire to spend mega bucks on top line stuff.

You can get this brand at reputable places like Home Depot, so you can be sure it isn't going to break the first time you use it.

Both DH and Otter's "uncle" would be very happy to recieve that gift!

I don't know how much of a stickler your DH is for tool brands, but hopefully he will be okay with this!

I know this is hard! While my DH would be happy with anything Skil for tools, he is a snob about his snowmobile gear and won't accept anything but super pricey Klim gear! :dohh:

Anyway, as for the drill bits -- tbh, I would be a bit more careful with those. Those need to be higher quality. Their sharpness and strength make all the difference in the world. Cheap bits are a no go! You'll get nothing but frustration and end up replacing them anyway.

I have not heard of the brand in that link, and am dubious about how many are there for that price. Personally, I wouldn't get them. Go with DeWALT on the bits if you can.

https://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-72-Pi...f=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1261064722&sr=1-50

If you can't shell out that sort of $$, look for a smaller DeWALT bit set. You can get a regular size set for about $30 and it will have enough bits for most of what he would want to use them for. :thumbup:

Any other questions, let me know!

oops! Cross posted! Glad it worked out for you!

Not sure hon.

I know sometimes when it comes to guys, they have one brand name that they swear by. Your OH likes Dewalt and mine likes Makita. My OH is a tool guy and because we own a roofing business, the quality and performance of his tools is high up on the list.

However, you could be introducing your OH to a new line that he might like. :)

this reminds me of the first year Stan and I were married I bought him a computer game that I was sure he'd like (because he had previous versions that he played all the time). Anyways I "felt him out" before Christmas commenting on look they have more versions of the game you like to which he told me yeah but the version I've got is the only good one :dohh: Told him than and there well you're going to want to return one of your gifts than :haha:

Thanks so much!! He's such a brand snob about everything, like don't even get me started on home theater stuff lol. But tools he really doesn't use alot, it would really be for hanging his tv and small projects around the house, not an all the time thing. I did end up buying those bits :( I hope they are good, the reviews were a bit mixed but most said they were good quality. Mark was saying he wants some magnetic thing to put in the drill so it will make the bits magnetic and hold onto the screws? Or not make them magnetic but will be strong enough to work through both of them or something? I have no idea lol

I think he's happy with the drill now after seeing the review and seeing it in person, he would have preferred a Dewalt still but really no reason to spend $200 on something he'll use occasionally. I hope it works for what he needs

Yup, it will work for those things! :thumbup:

DH is the same with his home stereo surround sound stuff. :roll: He got a cheapy to get him started and is forever moaning about wanting to replace it with a $2000 get up. And the TV had to be a $3000 top of the liner! :dohh:

Hopefully the bits will work out for you!

The Skil Drill should have bits that come with it that are magnetic, like he wants. Basically, the screw bits should hold screws to them so you can use your hands to hold the drill and not the screw. Most do these days. The drill bits aren't magnetic as they don't screw screws in so no need. I'm not aware of extra magnetized things, but I will ask DH or Uncle Shawn about it tonight if I remember. They should know! :mrgreen:

I called DH so I didn't forget to ask. :haha:

He hasn't heard of Denali brand either.

He said that most screw bits are magnetized these days, so the Skil should be (like I thought) and hopefully the Denali will be.

If they are not, you can magnatize them yourself. Get a strong magnet and start at the top end of the bit or tool and run it the length of the bit/tool. Do that several times. The more you do it, the better it will work. He said it won't create a super strong field, but enough of one to hold a screw on the end. :thumbup:

As much as I complain about having a Caveman around sometimes... having a handy man that knows these things and can fix anything is nice. hahaha!

Ah thanks so much :D

Yeah Mark is nuts about home theater stuff, he worked at Ultimate Electronics for years which is like a high end Best Buy if yall don't have one there. He has the "best" tv right now that retailed at about $5000 YET guess what?!!! He wants a new one :) 60 in you know :| LOL His total system is well over $30,000 now. While I enjoy it when I watch movies it kills me if I really think how much is in it. He just bought a new receiver the other day and while he's selling his old one and some other product and will actually make money off of it I'm the one that paid through my paypal for the one he got and I about died

:rofl: I am so there with you (except Mark sounds even worse than Caveman! :shock: ) I do enjoy it when I watch movies, but then I think of all the $$ in it and am like :nope: It also seems I am forever saying:

"Do you HAVE to use the surround sound so loud that it feels like a herd of dinosaurs just to watch The Hills?!?!" :dohh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back