anyone NOT a fan of christmas?

Why don't you make gifts with your kids? Home baking, soaps and scrubs, confectionery, tree decorations, cute picture collages etc and you can make Christmas cards and get brown paper and let them potato print it for wrapping paper?

Freckleonear... I try to compensate for the gifts tom is receiving by giving his unused/outgrown toy to charity. This year is the 1st yr he'll be helping me with it and its great to see him being so positive about the idea :)

Blah, I did a bit of making stuff last like salt dough tree ornaments. I think if I do it again with lo it will get me in the mood :) thanks for ideas :)

I am not a fan of the rampant hyper-consumerism that seems to start earlier and earlier each year.
I am a fan of the family time and celebrating the midwinter. And playing outside in the snow!
I think if any of us want this season to mean something more than Ye Olde Festival of Greede, then we have to be strong in asserting our own traditions and anti-Dudley Dursely-gift-piles policies! My family are pretty good about this, but it is so easy to get sucked into thinking that heaps of gifts are the main theme. I find I have to have constant vigilance.
And I think I am going to stop at two Harry Potter references and just quit while I'm ahead! :)

I love Harry Potter :D But yeah, I also love christmas. The consumerism can get silly if you allow it to - my children have quite a few gifts but its things that they need really and their old toys are going out to charity or the bin. I love receiving and giving cards - I would actually rather have a card over a gift any day! I love decorating the house with the children and going and looking at all the lights and I love how much time I get to spend with my little family. Obviously its not for everyone - could you maybe ask your inlaws to give money or vouchers instead? Maybe vouchers for days out (zoo, softplay etc). I really think they should respect your wishes about gifts - our inlaws are just giving vouchers and money this year (if they feel they have to, that is) because we don't need anymore 'things' in our house xx

Ehhh I can take it or leave it. I think spending months and months planning one single day is a bit nuts though - I just don't get that at all. Tbh I would totally forfeit Christmas to just have summer all year round instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->