Anyone not give iron for more than 4 months?

RainbowGift

mother of infant twins
Reaction score
This is for all parents of babies born under 35 weeks. Did you give iron supplements for 6 months to a year? I know that a full term baby has a 6 month store of iron stashed away from the last few months in the womb and so I am supposed to give the iron for at least 6 months (probably more- probably 6 months past the due date). I feel the babies have problems digesting the iron and I have stopped giving it after 4 months. I told my pediatrician and she just marked it down instead of saying anything about it. If she had told me to continue, I would have. I am still thinking about starting up again, I don't want the babies to have worse problems due to not getting the iron then they are having DUE TO the iron.

I was wondering if anyone else dropped the iron and if it isn't actually that important? I am breast feeding and the babies seem very healthy. :flower:

Andrew was discharged at 11weeks with a prescription for iron (sytron), folic acid, and vitamins. He'd been receiving them when in NICU.

I think we gave them for a couple of weeks before stopping .... Bad, I know.

We had to stop them, she couldnt keep them down with the reflux

We stopped them a few weeks after he was discharged. He would throw up ALL day anytime he was given iron. He's perfectly fine now.

we still give them and extra prescribed as Ellie has blood problems and also iron problems and she is doing good otherwise we did think that each other, I mean i thought OH was giving her them and he thought me, for 3 days and she ended up back in hospital x

I gave Brayden his iron until he was about 4 months old, am supposed to still give it to him. He does perfectly fine without it though :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->