Anyone planning not to be induced?

'Usually' is pretty qualitative.. anything over over a 50% chance is going to be 'usually' to me (regular rate of c section being 33%, and an additional 24% as she quoted) thats about a 60% likelihood of having a c-section.. as thats more than a 1 in 2 chance, I'd say that qualifies as 'usually' and 'likely'

please see: Side effects of common labor interventions
Current research suggests that some labor interventions make a c-section more likely. For example, labor induction among first-time mothers and/or when the cervix is not soft and ready to open appears to increase the likelihood of cesarean birth. Continuous electronic fetal monitoring has been associated with greater likelihood of a cesarean. Having an epidural early in labor with or without a high-dose boost of synthetic oxytocin ("Pitocin") seems to increase the likelihood of a c-section, and epidural analgesia appears to increase the likelihood of cesareans performed in response to "fetal distress."

from https://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10456

I'd like to see the absolute questionless faith and trust people place in the medical industry to not be treated in such a cavalier fashion. At least 'fear mongering' gets people to ask questions and start finding things out for themselves rather than being lulled into false security by whatever their doctors tell them.
How about rather than nit-picking everything on these posts, you do a little research on your own???
I am going to.nit pick. An individual's person chance increases by that perce.tage. That is jot the percentage that results in c-section

So before being induced, say my chance of c-section was 1%, being induced increased MY chance by 23%.

If you had a 2 % chance before, it would be up 46% chance.

That 23 doesn't just get taken on to the percentage of women that have c-section over all.

And once again. No one ever denied there was risks to being induced.

I plan to refuse induction also. Whether I'll be able to resist if I get that far is another issue lol.

I'm working with both of the OB doctors to prevent induction this time. I was told today they are not going to allow me to go past 40 weeks due to GH. Doctor today said she doesn't want to induce me because she fears it could lead to c-section if conditions are not favorable. I already know that if they were to induce me, conditions are favorable as I'm already dilating and almost 100% effaced, but I don't want to be induced. I want to experience laboring on my own as much as possible before any type of intervention. That's not to say if he decides to be stubborn, I won't take an induction if I get to 40 weeks. I'll just ask them to hold off on giving Pitocin, just break my waters and see how that works. If I had done that with my first, I would have most likely progressed wonderfully.

I've actually done my research trying to make this decision myself. But the current stats judging by the research seem to be about 12% c-section rate going into natural labor, and 23% if induced. It doesn't go near 60%. How you are getting that number makes no sense. Especially me knowing so many moms who have been induced, yet not one of them resulted in a c-section.

National average of C section rate is nearly 33%.. on top of an additional 24% chance of c-section due to induction.

*simple Google search to CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/delivery.htm

Im not sure where you ladies are getting YOUR information... so far Im the only one actually citing her sources.

And again, your personal experience has nothing to so with nationwide statistics, and I bet you didnt even check any of my sources let alone provide any of your own, so you come across as just totally talking out of your ass.

But Im not really looking to getting into an argument of who can top who in this discussion. I can tell there are waaay too many hormones flowing as it is, so good luck with your labors... the main point being that its NOT a good idea to induce unless theres a warranted medical emergency.

National average of C section rate is nearly 33%.. on top of an additional 24% chance of c-section due to induction.

*simple Google search to CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/delivery.htm

Im not sure where you ladies are getting YOUR information... so far Im the only one actually citing her sources.

And again, your personal experience has nothing to so with nationwide statistics, and I bet you didnt even check any of my sources let alone provide any of your own, so you come across as just totally talking out of your ass.

But Im not really looking to getting into an argument of who can top who in this discussion. I can tell there are waaay too many hormones flowing as it is, so good luck with your labors... the main point being that its NOT a good idea to induce unless theres a warranted medical emergency.

I posted a question on this thread a few days ago... Maybe I should google.. Not sure.. But I'm confused... Does waters breaking, and getting pitocin equal the same as being induced? To help bring on contractions or speed up labor? This sounds bad, but I only remember two of my three births having pitocin to speed up contractions... Do the risks include that type of intervention or is it just with the scheduled inductions where you go in and start the the entire process medically... With that I have no experience... But I never knew that those kinds of procedures could increase the chance of c-section.. They way I see it for myself, Is that my body will react and respond however it's going to to such things... And I trust that my dr will do their best to avoid emergency situations...
I never thought about inductions as risky...maybe my own ignorance...
Thank you in advance! :)

And once again. You are incorrectly putting the numbers together. They don't get added on top of each other.

The National average of 33% includes women who's c-sections were the results of induction.

There is no adding on top of that.

An INDIVIDUAL Womens risk increases when induced. But you would have to know her medical history and the facts involving her pregnancy to know what HER INDIVIDUAL risk is, in order to know what it increases to.

That is why taking the national average and trying to add to it does not work.

I posted a question on this thread a few days ago... Maybe I should google.. Not sure.. But I'm confused... Does waters breaking, and getting pitocin equal the same as being induced? To help bring on contractions or speed up labor? This sounds bad, but I only remember two of my three births having pitocin to speed up contractions... Do the risks include that type of intervention or is it just with the scheduled inductions where you go in and start the the entire process medically... With that I have no experience... But I never knew that those kinds of procedures could increase the chance of c-section.. They way I see it for myself, Is that my body will react and respond however it's going to to such things... And I trust that my dr will do their best to avoid emergency situations...

Layla, I'm not sure on that. I know there are a couple different methods of induction. Pitocin tends to be the most common. The other is using a gel on the cervix to help ripen it. But I'm not sure on if just breaking your waters is considered induction or not.

I guess I should read up on it myself. All I know is I want to avoid pitocin as much as I possibly can, as my experience with it wasn't the best. I'm glad my labor went by extremely quick (Pitocin administered at 1pm, and I had DS1 at 6:15pm same day), it was extremely painful, and I wasn't ready for that. That's why I hope they would just break my waters, and allow me to progress naturally unless there is a need for it.

I'm not sure of the technical term but getting pitocin after your waters break is certainly considered induction in some form, or assisted, or whatever they call it. Yes, it increases your risk of complications for sure, as does anything that uses medication to speed up the natural process. I know in the US, it is so common that people don't often think of it as a procedure in that way. Here in Canada, it is generally only done when your waters have broken but it is getting to that timeframe where they are concerned about infection. I had this done when my waters broke and came out green (meconium).

The plan is not to be induced, and I had said I would let baby cook as long as she needed! However, my midwives won't work with me past a certain time. In fact a lot of drs where I live won't, consider it too much of a risk. The good news is that my midwives know how strong I feel about wanting to wait so there going to try and wait off as long as they can and be as least invasive as possible. Only time will tell though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->