Anyone planning on NOT vaccinating your baby?

Isn't that because 80%-odd are vaccinated anyway? Every case is being reported and it stands to reason that some vaccinated people will catch the disease. They just get it much more mildly. The point is to vaccinate 95% to achieve herd immunity so that these outbreaks don't happen.

That's true, but you would still expect to see a lower percentage of vaccinated cases otherwise the vaccine failure rate would be much higher than they claim. If 10 children were exposed, 2 of whom were unvaccinated and 8 of whom were vaccinated, you wouldn't expect all of the vaccinated children to catch it.

With the numbers reportedly lining up to vaccinate, were the vaccination rates really at 80%? (Sorry, I am not up to date on the Swansea outbreak!)

Good quote from this page:

https://www.immunizationinfo.org/parents/why-immunize

During an outbreak, aren’t the majority of people who catch a disease those who have been vaccinated?
Although vaccines have very high effectiveness rates, they are not completely effective for 100% of the people who receive them. For example, a full series of measles vaccine will protect 99 of 100 children from measles, and polio vaccine will protect 99 of 100 children from polio.2 This means that when there is a disease outbreak, the very small number of people for whom the vaccine did not work may still be able to catch the disease. Because almost all of our children are immunized, and only few are not, it can be the case that during an epidemic the majority of cases occur among children who were immunized. However, the fact remains that those who have not received the vaccine are much more likely to catch the disease.

By way of example, consider an actual measles outbreak in Colorado in December 1994.5 Out of 625 children exposed to the disease, 17 got measles. Of those 609 who had previously been vaccinated, only 10 (or 1.6%) developed measles. Of the 16 children who were not immunized, 7 (or 44%) developed measles. Thus, the risk for immunized children was less than 2% while the risk for unimmunized children was 44%.

If vaccine-preventable diseases have been virtually eliminated from the United States, why do American children need to be vaccinated?
Although many of these diseases have the potential to be eliminated, outbreaks of diphtheria, measles, and other vaccine-preventable diseases still occur.

Children who are not vaccinated against measles are 35 times more likely than immunized children to catch the disease.6 Ten years ago (during the 1989 to 1991 measles epidemic), state health departments in the United States reported 55,622 measles cases, 11,251 hospitalizations, and 125 deaths.27 Research has shown that these epidemic numbers are due to the fact that in some areas only 50% of preschool-aged children had received the vaccine.2
Without vaccines, the diseases we are now protected from will return. Thousands of children will become sick, some will have long-lasting health problems, and some will die.
Other countries do not have the same levels of immunization that we benefit from in the United States. Therefore, we must all remain protected with vaccines because dangerous diseases largely under control in the United States are only a plane ride away.

It never breaks down how ill those who are vaccinated and catch measles are compared to how ill those are who didn't get vaccinated. So even if it is true that more (you can't take hear say as that is true coz apparently a gp said it) children are sick have been vaccinated. There is every chance it is a mild case caused by the outbreak and every chance that the more seriously ill ones (usually a lower number) haven't been vaccinated. But the disease wouldn't spread no where near as rapidly if more people did get vaccinated.

My god has the measles outbreak in the uk not scared some folk into realising they should get there Los vaccinated!! It bloody scares me, my lo won't get this jag until he's one and I'm terrified to wait until then!!

We have had fatalities due to the out break!! Now children who's parents opted out of the vaccine are getting it at school. I would say please thing twice about it for the sake of your children and others!!

I have to add the fatalities were people who had not been vaccinated!!

I am not sure of the percentage (I'm where the outbreaks are) but I read that 3000 parents alone had decided not to vaccinate. That's a lot for where we live.

This thread isn't really a debate any more is it if no-one is defending the anti-vax......does it mean we won lol?

My god has the measles outbreak in the uk not scared some folk into realising they should get there Los vaccinated!! It bloody scares me, my lo won't get this jag until he's one and I'm terrified to wait until then!!

We have had fatalities due to the out break!! Now children who's parents opted out of the vaccine are getting it at school. I would say please thing twice about it for the sake of your children and others!!

You would like to thing so wouldn't you?

My BIL & his girlfriend have decided not to vax their LO based on the Autism link & that "MMR jab kills more each year than measles."

There has been pockets of measles reported in our town, including a cousin of DH & BIL's daughter. There is approx 30,000 people in our town, not exactly big. I just hope nothing happens to their LO.

My BIL & his girlfriend have decided not to vax their LO based on the Autism link & that "MMR jab kills more each year than measles."

There has been pockets of measles reported in our town, including a cousin of DH & BIL's daughter. There is approx 30,000 people in our town, not exactly big. I just hope nothing happens to their LO.

Oh God. Were you able to point them in the right direction?

It's crazy that people believe this kind of thing.

I know. I do find it scary the amount of damage that Dr Wakefield has caused & that people STILL believe the link. The proof is in the outbreak that's in the UK atm.

Oh God. Were you able to point them in the right direction?

Nope, they won't discuss it at all. I have asked if I could see what they have read to come up with that conclusion but I was told 'We have made our mind up.' DH's parent's have tried to discuss it with them also but nada. BIL surprises me since there is measles 'damage' in his family. His mam is 1 of 20 and a few of her siblings caught measles and had various complications.

My OH's aunty is severley mentally disabled due to having measles at about 3 years of age. There was no vaccination available for her back then. We have vaxed our lb and will continue to do so. There is just no question about it for us due to the unfortunate outcome for his aunty.

We have now had confirmed cases in NC. My daughter is too young for the vaccine and we had considered delaying it because of my dad's cancer battler b/c it is a live virus but I don't think we will. We have stopped in the effected area every time we went up to see my parents. I hope neither my dad nor my daughter come down with it.

When is the mmr jab given?

Can I ask if anyone has knowledge on 'delaying' the whooping cough vaccine or using an alternative whooping cough vaccine...reduced sliding scale even? I'm asking as I have a family history (as described earlier in thread) where my half sister reacted so badly to the wc vaccine 50 years ago she seizured and is now brain damaged...and also contracted wc at 3 despite being fully vaccinated!! I'm terrified of my baby having the wc vaccine, I didn't have it as a baby so my baby will be the next 'participant' after my half sister IF I choose for him to have it. Just desperately searching for alternative ways of vaccinating or a test to see how he respond that WONT cause him any damage. Prick test?! I'll be vaccinating him for the other jabs. I'll probably have to forgo the pregnancy wc vaccine too as don't know how this would affect him in utero.

Any accurate information would be great! I'll be talking to an obstetrician...but I can't guarantee he'll be a knowledgeable or supportive one who will really know his stuff for my situation :-(

MMR is given some time between 12 and 18 months, depends where you live.

I read somewhere that the whooping cough jab changed in 2001 which would mean its different to what your sister was given. I can't find where I read that - but if I was you I'd discuss with my doctor if I had a family history of reactions just to be sure.

I'm not 'anti-vax' by any means. I'm anti-MMR for my daughter.

She recently had her DTaP/IPV booster, but it was done in a controlled medical environment (a hospital) as our family history with immunizations.

As a child my partner had his MMR and went into anaphylactic shock. He was in a coma and they reckon it was the cause of his epilepsy. But that can't be proven. However he also has an allergy to penicillin. Which Niamh also has.

After many a consultation, we have decided to not give her her MMR. We considered delaying it however, we'll decide when we come round to it.

In the outbreak of Measles we'll give her it, like last time, in a hospital with a crash unit on stand by.

I am SO sick fed up of hearing about how I'm endangering other children around her, pregnant people and the vulnerable for something that may not even happen. At risk of sounding like a horrible person, I'm past caring. I'm sorry that I don't broadcast my family's health record when I tell you that she's not got her MMR. That I don't feel the need to justify to every mother and toddler group who asks how she reacted to hers. It was my choice, and if you want to judge me or any other mother on that. Then so be it.

Nobody here is condemning those who cannot get immunizations for reasons such as you are describing. In fact, it is to protect children like yours that herd immunity needs to be achieved. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->