• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anyone planning on NOT vaccinating your baby?

Right now in the uk there is a measles outbreak. It really annoys me that people still believe there is a link between mmr and autism. The doctor was struck off the gmc and is no longer a doctor because his research was so flawed. There is no link between mmr ad autism.
Knowing now there is a growing outbreak here in the uk makes me more happy that he has been vaccinated. Even if he did catch it his body will be used to fighting it and will fight it off better and more

It wasnt just flawed, upon investigating into the reasearch they found it was delibretly falsified on many occasions.

Dr Andrew wakefield never disclosed when presenting the research that he and several of the childrens families in the study were involved in a lawsuit attempting to show that MMR was linked to autism.
After that was revealed 11 of the authers also under investigation for falsifiing results withdrew their papers and support for the research.
He was also charged with carrying out clinically unnecessary and invasive tests on children with autism without ethical approval or appropriate qualifications.

The list of charges against him where 34 pages long.

I agree that people have the right to choose and make their own decisions on the subject but whatever your choice is NO NOT let it be based on Dr Andrew Wakefield and his so called research, somthing that has essentialy been proven to have been fake.

Right now in the uk there is a measles outbreak. It really annoys me that people still believe there is a link between mmr and autism. The doctor was struck off the gmc and is no longer a doctor because his research was so flawed. There is no link between mmr ad autism.
Knowing now there is a growing outbreak here in the uk makes me more happy that he has been vaccinated. Even if he did catch it his body will be used to fighting it and will fight it off better and more

It wasnt just flawed, upon investigating into the reasearch they found it was delibretly falsified on many occasions.

Dr Andrew wakefield never disclosed when presenting the research that he and several of the childrens families in the study were involved in a lawsuit attempting to show that MMR was linked to autism.
After that was revealed 11 of the authers also under investigation for falsifiing results withdrew their papers and support for the research.
He was also charged with carrying out clinically unnecessary and invasive tests on children with autism without ethical approval or appropriate qualifications.

The list of charges against him where 34 pages long.

I agree that people have the right to choose and make their own decisions on the subject but whatever your choice is NO NOT let it be based on Dr Andrew Wakefield and his so called research, somthing that has essentialy been proven to have been fake.

I didn't know as much as you but I couldn't agree more!

He was quoted this week (can't remember what rag I saw it in) saying that this latest outbreak was the governments fault for not offering alternatives.

Sky news are saying that there are currently 60 children in hospital and that they are not ruling out death :nope:

He's panicking coz it's his fault! It must of been so scary at the time for mums to make the right decision and the time bubble as such is popping. He just wants to blame someone else for what is effectively his doing.

Well, this thread was a lot to read.

I'm not for or against vaccanating, and will decide on them as they come.

I have heard a lot about certain diseases (such as whooping cough that down right scare me), and so I want my child to be protected against that as soon as possible.

But on the flip side I was given the MMR when I was your and reacted to it and they could not figure out why. Personally I was not old enough to remember this situation so I don't know how scary it was for my parents but it causes me concerns when i think about if my child will react.

But yet (haha i'm really back and forth on things!) my 2 siblings had it at the same age I was and there was no problems for them....

I'm still trying to gather up information, I'm not very well educated on the topic.

The one thing I believe most, is that we make decisions with our LO's at the forefront of our concerns. Yes, we reach different conclusions (but is a women a bad/rude/ect... mom for not breast feeding? For trying CIO? For using disaposable diaper/cloth diapers?') I'm not here to debate, I do not enjoy debating in the slightest as I feel a women who is confident in her choice will not be swayed by mere words from someone else.

The fact that we are trying to do what we think is best for our LO's is what is important to me. <3

Wakefield was also promoting his own measles vaccine at the time the MMR study was done. Seriously, anyone who still buys into anything that guy has said needs to give their head a shake.

Wakefield was also promoting his own measles vaccine at the time the MMR study was done. Seriously, anyone who still buys into anything that guy has said needs to give their head a shake.

He was the paid medical advisor in the original case about the link between mmr and autism and stood to make millions in fees if the case went in favour to ban mmr jabs and even more fame and money as the one who "discovered the link" so he essentialy invented a report to make it look like he knew what he was talking about for the court case and it ened up getting picked up by a medical publication.
Its rediculas how one man can do so much damage just to make money.

Thought this was a very interesting article on what influences our decisions on vaccination:

https://healthland.time.com/2013/04...ks-influence-a-parents-decision-to-vaccinate/

There is also a very apt Penn and Teller episode that debunks the paranoia around vaccination. I believe it is fairly easy to find on youtube, but I won't link to it here as it's in their usual style and some may find the language offensive.

I have yet to meet an anti-vaxer who doesn't make the statement that they have "done a ton of research" on this issue before making their decision and I have yet to see an anti-vaccination article that holds up to scientific scrutiny. Reading heaps of anti-vax literature does not count as research in my books. And it certainly does not improve scientific literacy - let's just leave it at that.
I absolutely vaccinate my children and even have my son in a study looking at the effectiveness of the meningococcal vaccination schedule in our province (don't worry! no one's experimenting on him! :haha: They are taking blood titres to see the antibody response and are analyzing the schedule based on that repsonse). I feel very fortunate to have two healthy kids. I like to think that there are ways my healthy family can help protect those who aren't as fortunate. This study is a way of giving back. And so is vaccinating.

60 kids in hospital for the South Wales measles outbreak. That's about one in ten cases.

I can't believe the anti-vaxers on this thread claim that measles isn't dangerous.

Not vaccinating (unless there are good medical reasons not to) is downright irresponsible.

We had a five-week old baby die in Alberta last year from whooping cough. So tragic. And so preventable.
Reading that article really made me think about how much influence sites like BnB can have over some parents' health decisions. I have been through this debate so many times in the last few years and I often see vaccination and only post if I have the energy. But if we are influencing our peers that much, as the study suggests, I am going to be sure that I am posting the pro side and doing my best to mythbust all the antivax propaganda - as many of you fine concerned ladies already did very eloquently! :flower:
I am really interested in the pro-vaccination movement mentioned in the article - how there is a grassroots movement to fight back against the bad science and misinformation. :thumbup:

We had a five-week old baby die in Alberta last year from whooping cough. So tragic. And so preventable.
Reading that article really made me think about how much influence sites like BnB can have over some parents' health decisions. I have been through this debate so many times in the last few years and I often see vacciantion and only post if I have the energy. But if we are influencing our peers that much, I am going to be sure that I am posting the pro side and doing my best to mythbust all the antivax propaganda - as many of you fine, concerned ladies already did very eloquently! :flower:
I am really interested in the pro-vaccination movement mentioned in the article - how there is a grassroots movement to fight back against the bad science and misinformation. :thumbup:

I feel the same. It's the blindness to the effects these diseases have that horrifies me. They say things like, 'my kid is never sick' or 'my kid is bf' as if that's going to solve the problem. I feel like I have to try and step in and say, your kid might be ok but others may not be.

Fine, delay vax, give them on alternative schedules by all means, but for goodness sake there's no need for these diseases to still be around in Europe or North America. And it's the anti-vaxers that are bringing them back by spreading these myths.

It genuinely scares me people can spout out their "informed decision" and effect other people's decision on this matter, as much as I love this site I wonder how many women wouldn't have even thought twice about it if they hadn't read about the 'trend' (as I see it) of not vaxing.

I try to have a 'respect for other parents' decisions' attitude, but not on this, unless you have a known allergy or your doctor has recommended to not vaccinate I see it as the WRONG decision, and WILL judge people for it.

For anyone who chooses not to vaccinate, I ask one question. If you lived in Swansea right now, and your child isn't vaccinated against measles, would you be one of the thousands of parents who have flocked to a clinic for a vaccination. If the answer is yes, then get it done. Don't wait until it's too late.

I hear people time and time again calling measles a normal childhood disease which in most healthy children is not threatening. This isn't true and the reason people think this is because we have vaccinated for so long, any vaccinated child who does get it will not suffer too badly because of the vaccination. This disease was fatal or life changing to many thousands of children across the world before we had vaccination and can kill even the healthiest child.

If you want to make an informed decision, don't rely on the likes of Jenny McCarthy to tell you vaccination is unsafe (a woman who will inject herself with Botox but not vaccinate her children??). Most of the stuff swamping the Internet is based on pure myth and conspiracy theory. The actual studies are available for people who really want them. Read the studies and draw your own conclusions, not what the ill informed media and celebrities want to tell you.

I havent read the entire thread so apologies if this has already been asked,

Does anyone know when and why they stopped offering single vaccinations for measles on the nhs?

I was just about to post that link. It has shocked our community to the core, I seriously hope his death was not because of measles. It is more important than ever for us to vaccinate our children. We are now up to 808 cases with no signs of it stopping and clinics are being held again tomorrow across south wales.

If anyone here is from Swansea, Neath Port Talbot or Bridgend and don't know what to do there are emergency drop in clinics tomorrow at Morriston hospital, Neath Port Talbot hospital and Bridgend Princess of Wales hospital between 10-4pm. Anyone can go if they're 6 months and over adults included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->