Anyone pregnant after weight loss surgery?

vyktoriah

Mama to Dex. No 2 coming!
Reaction score
I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in June of 2008 which saw me lose over 100 pounds. I specifically did it so that I could sort out my health issues, most notably diabetes and polycystic ovaries.

Now I find myself unexpectedly pregnant, and while I'm really happy about it, I'm also majorly concerned.

My stomach is very tiny, and I can only eat a few bites at a time of anything. The surgery is irreversible unlike a gastric band, so it's impossible for me to work around it.

Obviously I am concerned about getting enough nutrition into my baby as possible, which means I've got to be exceptionally careful about what I choose to eat.

Has anyone been through a similar thing? Can anyone offer any advice on the best foods I can eat to get the most nutrition in the smallest amounts possible?

Thanks!

I had a bypass 14 months ago hun. I had it to get pregnant as I too had PCOS. Make sure you are taking multivits - my surgeon has advised to stop iron and go onto pregnacare AND pregnacare plus (Asda's own are cheaper though)
We appear to be a very similar time that we are due, and although I know you have had a sleeve, you have not been bypassed have you? So malnutrition is not the same as a bypasser?
As for food - no carbs mate - they fill you up the easiest dont they - so stick to your proteins, fruit and veggies and if needs be then your carbs.
I know a few girls that have gotten pregnant after bypasses but Im not sure of any after a sleeve. If your interested there are a few forums you can join for support about foods to eat with the sleeve?
PM if you want the names and any support xx

Thanks hon. It is nice to know someone else has an inkling what I'm going through! :)

No, there's no malabsorption issues with the sleeve like with the bypass. My mom had the bypass 8 months before I had my surgery, so I've seen the issues first hand.

I'm on the pregnacare vitamins now, but I haven't taken any multivits for over a year. I keep meaning to restart, but honestly, as soon as I have any pill (even paracetemol or something), I get so full that I cant eat for a few hours. So I stopped taking them all together. Even these pregnacare ones are hard for me to keep down.

Ah well. Hopefully I will be able to see the doctor soon and can get his advice on what exactly I should be taking to ensure the healthiest possible result!

Thanks for the help! :)

Im really suprised you have such restriction so long after your op. Again there are a few people that have the sleeve and Im sure they can eat more with time? Have you been checked out with that issue? x

How did everything work out post-sleeve? I'm 15 months post-op and 7 weeks pregnant. I'm terrified right now b/c I still have so much restriction. Plus right now I'm very nauseous and have been eating saltines and pretzels to calm my stomach. NO PROTEIN IN THOSE! :wacko:

anyway, i know this is a very old post, but if anyone happens to see and wants to respond, I'd greatly appreciate it! :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->