• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Anyone Pregnant at 38 with their first?

I don't know if this is an answer but last month I was getting a lot of headaches, and my ObGyn suggested that I increase my caffeine intake via caffeine pills or coffee to help. I guess that probably means that it is ok. :) I checked some scholarly journals about this early in pregnancy as well, and there are two major studies that apply. The earlier one suggests that coffee has no impact on the fetus, and the later one suggests that it slightly increases the risk of miscarriage up to 12 weeks. My regular GP also basically told me not to drink 10 cups or anything, but not to worry about it. Unfortunately, my gremlin actually hates coffee. Every time I drink it I want to throw up.

Thanks Stacey, it seemed logical that limiting caffeine would be less important towards the end of pregnancy but it's pretty hard to find anything that varifies this. I think most sources (online in particular) are so concerned with telling you what you can't do that they don't bother to tell you if and when you can relax about things a bit. I got a lot of headaches in the first and second trimester that I suspect were related to caffeine consumption, but they eventually went ways of their own accord. Drinking lots of water helped, too. Shame about the gremlin causing a coffee aversion. Is it the smell? I haven't had much nausea at all, but certain smells can really turn my stomach (cigarette smoke I can detect from hundreds of metres away).

Hi ladies, hope everyone had a great weekend! Doc appointment tomorrow. Finally doing my anatomy scan. He was too busy at my last appointment (20 weeks). The other doctor was in surgery and he was picking up all her patients as well. Last appointment he did a quick check and said everything looked great and she is still a girl haha.

Stacey- That is great news about your thyroid Disease!

Jessie- I had that same surgery (removal of pre-cancer cells from my cervix). My doc also said since the cervix is now thinner than normal, it can also cause you to go early. So there is that and possibility of dilation issues. But wont know until the time comes. My mom delivered 4 out of 5 of her children early so because of my cervix and genetics, I would be surprised if I go very late.

Raquel- I too sleep better on my back. I stick a pillow under one side of my back so I am slightly tilted and not totally flat on my back. I also sleep propped up on three pillows. Good thing we have a king bed, my husband jokes that my million pillows are about to push him off the bed. :) As far as caffeine, my doc says everything in moderation is fine. I have never been a big caffeine/coffee/tea drinker though so I've just stayed away from it altogether.

Heidi- I am patiently waiting to hear news from you! :)

No it isn't the smell Raquel, although it was partly that at the very beginning. I usually drink latte, but after about 1/3 of the cup I would feel like throwing up, so I just stopped drinking it because it wasn't enjoyable anymore. I drink a lot of milk now instead for the healthy fat and calcium. Canadian milk isn't allowed to have steroids or antibiotics in it, and it seems to keep me from having heartburn.

My hips have been hurting so I tried using pillows last night, but I couldn't get it right. My husband tends to be heat-seeking at night so he ends up squished against me almost every night anyway. I've pretty much been using his body as a pillow. He likes to cuddle, so he seems not to care what body part I lay on :)

I'm starting to have a bit of separation near my ribs. I'm wider at my hips, but I don't think I have the space up at the top. It keeps feeling like it is ripping, and apparently it, in fact, is, but only a small amount. I think that's where that pain was coming from; it's just weird to me that I only feel it on the left (shrugs).

hi ladies!

raquel: yes! slight angle but not flat on back seems to be the best for me too. im also having the same issues with sleep. One great night followed by lots of crappy nights. I guess that will be the norm when the babies come, so we might as well get used to it. :wacko:

kiley: argh. im so afraid i will go early. my husband is taking the bar exam at the end of july and it's 2 days long. i CANNOT have the kid on either of those days otherwise he will miss the birth. anytime before or after is fine...

stacey: i can't fall asleep if any part of my husband's body is touching mine. I know...weird, right? "rib ripping" sounds awful. So far i haven't had rib problems, knock on wood.

I'm one of those women who really hasn't followed any of the "rules" in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
I eat sashimi, oysters, drink a glass of wine every once in awhile and one cup of coffee per day. I was strict about avoiding that stuff for the first 18 weeks or so...

My major issues during the pregnancy: high bacteria content in my urine (i've been on an antibiotic 4 times) and watching i don't overeat. I've tried everything possible (making sure im very clean, wiping properly (TMI sorry), cranberry juice, yogurt, proper hydration). The two times I overate (restaurant celebrations for two different events) i seriously felt like I needed to go to the hospital (diarrhea, sweating, etc). It's like symptoms get super exaggerated during pregnancy!!!!!

I know it will all be worth it once i meet my little boy!

HEIDI: Updates?!?!

Thanks Heidi for updating my status for me :)
Yes I had a beautiful baby girl born June 26, she was 6 pounds 7 oz of pure perfection! Her name is Mya and I am over the moon with joy!
I was induced on my due date because there was concerns about her growth! However I have a beautiful little peanut and she is perfect!

I hope everyone is doing well!!

Anyone hear from Heidi? Has she had her baby yet!

Sorry MIA!

Glad to see everyone is ok!

I went in for induction on Tuesday morning which ended in an c-section on Wednesday evening.

Baby Joe was born at 9:51pm weighing 8lb 6 oz. Am so in love with him 💕.
Still in hospital though (Sunday morning) as he developed jaundice and had to get phototherapy. Have been given the all clear earlier by his paediatrician to go home later today.

It's been a tough week but worth it for Joe.

CONGRATS Jenny and Heidi!! I am so happy for both of you and so happy the little ones are okay! :)

Congrats Jenny and Heidi! Let people help you out and don't try to do anything but bond and get acquainted with your little ones for the next month!

Anyone else started feeling sick again in the third trimester after you eat? I'm not vomiting or anything, but just feeling generally unwell, especially after eating something in the morning. I'm not eating very much...I just feel crappy no matter what I eat or how small it is :(

I'm not quite in the 3rd yet, but I have noticed some of my food aversions are coming back like they were in the first. The only meat I can stomach right now is ground beef, and my craving of carbs is coming back. :( Nausea has stayed away so far though.

My husband thinks it happens when I go too long without eating (shrugs). Maybe that's why it's the worst after breakfast? Gremlin hasn't been making me as hungry lately so I've been eating less, but I dunno.

I've certainly started to feel very ordinary if I don't eat regularly, but for me it is reflux/heartburn related as well, so probably not the same thing. Even if you don't feel like it, you probably do need to try to eat a bit more - perhaps try small amounts of high protein/fat food to give you an energy boost? I've found cheese to be an absolute lifesaver when I've felt like I can't be bothered eating. It calms my heartburn down, too.

Yes cheese and milk are the best. I'm certain that the fact that I have a lot of milk is why I hardly have reflux. Third trimester today! Woot! Remember when Kylie and I were the newbies on this thread worried about early miscarriages?! I guess we still are the newbies in some ways, but I can't believe I'm at 27 weeks. I still really want pregnancy to be over, but now that I'm noticing that I'm almost done I feel like I'll miss the constant kicking of having someone else sharing my body in some ways. :)

Stacey I was just thinking back to the first trimester a couple days ago, almost wishing I was back there when I could sleep comfortably!! haha It is going fast! I can not believe we are over half way! I am two weeks away from my third trimester and I figured I would be way bigger by now. At least I have that going for me! As for feeling sick, I have noticed if I let my stomach get too empty I start feeling slightly sick. I eat little amounts about every 2 - 3 hours. And I second the cheese! Its one of my favorite snacks!

hi ladies-
taking a break from unpacking.

Stacey: The last 2 weeks have been just like the first tri for me in terms of feeling sick. I'm getting pretty bad indigestion and i can't go too long without eating. Sleeping is awful now. I started off at around 125 lbs and now i'm almost 160 at 36 weeks.

I really can't wait to have my body back. It's very very hard carrying around so much weight. My feet are swelling so badly that they get numb!

I hope you're all doing better than me! only a few more weeks until i meet my little boy. So excited. :baby:

Jessie, I know what you mean. I am almost 39 weeks now and have put on a little over 30lb - I'm really feeling the extra weight lately.

I've been pretty good but the last few days have been harder, I don't have much energy anymore and my reflux and heartburn is still getting worse. Not long to go, though, think I'll spend the next week on the couch with Netflix.

Hey pretty girls! It's nice that you found some time to visit us Jessie, and I'm definitely glad to have you here posting more Raquel. I've put on just less than 15 pounds, but I started at 190 so I don't need to gain very much. It's sad that the one time in 8 years that my thyroid goes into remission and it would actually be possible to lose weight, I'm not allowed to :( Anything for baby, right ladies?

I'm finding it harder to do things as well even though my belly isn't huge yet. I feel like I used to compensate for my bad back with strong abs, but now my abs don't seem to engage the way they used to, so my legs have to pick up the slack. I haven't been exercising - prenatal aquafit and walking really isn't exercise for me - so I think that contributes to feeling weak and tired. I had really bad morning sickness for so long, that I guess I should count myself lucky that my reflux is in check. I bought tums but I haven't had to take them yet. I can't take them anyway within 3 hours of my synthetic thyroid substitute medication, so I have to watch.

My feet and hands fall asleep so much too Jessie!! I don't have any swelling though so I don't know why it happens... Raquel I was asking my husband the other day about getting Netflicks. Pretty sure that will happen soon :)

The baby's movements have changed lately and at first it freaked me out. I think she's in a weird position. I can feel the kicks, but they are more distant - not as hard - as they used to be. She's also back to moving lower down again. I don't think she's head down anymore. I'm so curious about what she's doing down there. I wish I could see! I get another scan next month, but if it's at the main ultrasound part of the hospital again and not at women's I won't get to see much - they turn the screen away from you in the general ultrasound building, but at women's they let you see :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"