Anyone Pregnant at 38 with their first?

Jenny Bean

Reaction score
I am 7 weeks tomorrow and I am so very causiously pregnant.
I am obviously expecting my first and I just got married less than two months ago.

All of my dreams are finally coming true, but...
I am so worried about mc and everything else that could go wrong.

The internet is the devil, lol....

Anybody in the same boat as me and feeling like they are going off their rocker like me, lol

Hi !
Well I'm 35 and 5 weeks pregnant..
I'm worried as well, but I really try to be confident and enjoy the most of it.
How long did it take for you? It was a 10 months long TTC for me.
I just did a blood test, everything seems fine..
Don't google too much ;)

I don't wanna jinx anything by saying thing but to our suprise we ended up concieving on our second month.

I think that is why I am so paro about this, we expected at least a year with all the stats out there.

I am doing my best to relax and enjoy but it sooooo hard not knowing what is going on inside there...This is all I ever really wanted, it too me forever to find the "one" and finally this dream is coming true for me also.

I will be 38 when we have this baby, Lord willing. It is also our first. I had a miscarriage 15 months ago at 8 weeks. I didn't ever see the doctor before that time because I was in the military and they don't see you until 12 weeks. Anyway, I didn't have the pregnancy symptoms that I do now. So that makes me think that things are going well. I also had a scan at 6w2d and the heartbeat was 125 bpm. I also had another miscarriage at 5 weeks and one chemical. Before I had the chemical, I had a D&C because my uterus was basically a mess. I believe that I got polyps due to not having a D&C after the first miscarriage.

Anyway, I am very hopeful this time and try not to stress out.

All I can say is try not to stress. You will probably go on and have a beautiful baby.

I am just praying for a healthy baby without any issues with DS or anything else. It's hard not to stress about that. The internet is the devil :growlmad:

Hi girls!
Well yes the internet is bad for that. Even babyandbump actually, when you see all the women that got MC.. I also worried it won't stay sticky, but like I said I try to stay positive.
I do have symptoms too, and blood results went way higher yesterday. I'll have my 1st ultrasound in 15 days. What about you?

All I have had so far is the routine blood work and my HCG levels checked when I was first pregnant. I requested the HCG test because I had a very early mc 3 years ago.

I do not go back to see the doctor for 3 more weeks, I will be 10 weeks at that point... I hope he does some sort of scan at that point but I am not sure.

I would like to hear a heart beat for some reasurance as I am sure you can imagine.

As far as symptoms, I have minor ms throught the day and very minor. I also have tender bb that come and go. So the lack of symptoms worry me as well. Also I have been getting a lot of headaches this week which is troublesome.

I waited so long for this point in my life so I am hoping everything goes well.

Hi all, I am almost 5 weeks pregnant and 37. I have been nauseous, and my BBs are sore. Also I feel all these little twinges and weird things in my stomach...which from the internet is normal. But everytime I go to the bathroom I'm paranoid for spotting...I was with my first 2 also. Being pregnant is so stressful...but I'm trying to relax and enjoy : )

Hi all, I am almost 5 weeks pregnant and 37. I have been nauseous, and my BBs are sore. Also I feel all these little twinges and weird things in my stomach...which from the internet is normal. But everytime I go to the bathroom I'm paranoid for spotting...I was with my first 2 also. Being pregnant is so stressful...but I'm trying to relax and enjoy : )

Everytime I go to the washroom and there is nothing there I do a private happy dance, lol, sad I know.

I actually welcome the nausea, which I actually don't have much of :-(

I look for any signs of reassurance at this point.

I don't have much nausea. I'm sure you're fine ;)

I'm 37 years old and I could have my baby any day now. It's been a smooth pregnancy. I understand your concerns because of age, but it can still be a completely normal pregnancy. Good luck, ladies!

I'm 37 years old and I could have my baby any day now. It's been a smooth pregnancy. I understand your concerns because of age, but it can still be a completely normal pregnancy. Good luck, ladies!

Thank you for the reassurance : ) hope you have a smooth delivery. The last time I was pregnant was 12 yrs ago! I'm 5 weeks at 37 with #3 but it's my husbands first and he is thrilled : )

What do you lady's think of genetic testing? I'm concerned of the risk and also don't want to stress out.

Thank you for the reassurance : ) hope you have a smooth delivery. The last time I was pregnant was 12 yrs ago! I'm 5 weeks at 37 with #3 but it's my husbands first and he is thrilled : )

What do you lady's think of genetic testing? I'm concerned of the risk and also don't want to stress out.

Thanks Missyann, that is very reassuring. Is this your first?

And yes, I have thought about genetic testing. I am going to do the blood test, not the amnio. I would have done it regardless to my age though. I know its not perfect but at least you have an idea maybe if further testing is required.

I was 37 when i got pregnant, i am now 38 and have a happy and healthy 10 month old! I chose not to have any tests other than the routine ones. I worried the whole time i was pregnant that something would go wrong but thankfully everything was fine! Its hard not to worry, and now he's here i still worry, i think its just part of being a parent!

I was 46 when I had my first (and only) baby. I didn't think I could have kids and then to my surprise, I fell pregnant (altho I thought the symptoms and missed period were due to menopause LOL) I was worried too, especially since my age gave me a very high risk ratio for trisomies 13 and 18 (1:11 based on age alone) I had the materniT21 blood test and things came back clear. At that point, I started to relax a bit and enjoy my pregnancy. My water broke at 35w1d and I had her the next day. She was perfectly healthy. She didn't need nicu or anything special. She's now almost 18 months and the best thing that's ever happened to me.
I wish you ladies all the best. I'm not about to tell you not to worry, bc it's all part of this wonderful journey, but I do hope you can manage to enjoy this time as well.

I was 46 when I had my first (and only) baby. I didn't think I could have kids and then to my surprise, I fell pregnant (altho I thought the symptoms and missed period were due to menopause LOL) I was worried too, especially since my age gave me a very high risk ratio for trisomies 13 and 18 (1:11 based on age alone) I had the materniT21 blood test and things came back clear. At that point, I started to relax a bit and enjoy my pregnancy. My water broke at 35w1d and I had her the next day. She was perfectly healthy. She didn't need nicu or anything special. She's now almost 18 months and the best thing that's ever happened to me.
I wish you ladies all the best. I'm not about to tell you not to worry, bc it's all part of this wonderful journey, but I do hope you can manage to enjoy this time as well.

Wow, congrats to you :)
That is so encouraging...Thanks so much all of you for your stories.
I guess after my first scan maybe I will relax more, however, that probably won't be until week 12 :-(

I have to try and not read horror stories on the internet or just general chatter, lol.

My new worry is facial cleansers and moisturizers, lol...
Uggg will this worry ever end lol

Hi, sorry to be late to reply but I just saw your post... I was 36 when I had my first and let me say it was the easiest pregnancy AND delivery I could imagine. No morning sickness, no diabetes, no issues at all... we got the triple-screen test for the 3 trisomies and it was clear. That was really important to us. Of course problems happen, but you could probably get pregnant again--reaching age 40 isn't like dropping off a cliff.
I went to a prenatal education class where the instructor talked about how "older" mothers often have tough deliveries, blah blah blah. I was honestly worried. But then all I had was a 2 hour 42 minute delivery, no medication at all, no tearing/no stitches... I actually found childbirth very empowering, and loved being pregnant. My baby is a healthy, beautiful girl, delivered at term.
But... it took us a long time to conceive because hubby had some fertility issues so we needed IVF.
I would be very happy to get pregnant again and have another kid. Realistically, I'll probably be 38 or 39 before that happens.
Older moms rock. And there are more of us than people think! I have lots of friends who only started their families in the mid-30s.
Please don't worry too much but enjoy being pregnant. Live it up, show off that bump and take pics of your belly to laugh at later. :)

Hi, sorry to be late to reply but I just saw your post... I was 36 when I had my first and let me say it was the easiest pregnancy AND delivery I could imagine. No morning sickness, no diabetes, no issues at all... we got the triple-screen test for the 3 trisomies and it was clear. That was really important to us. Of course problems happen, but you could probably get pregnant again--reaching age 40 isn't like dropping off a cliff.
I went to a prenatal education class where the instructor talked about how "older" mothers often have tough deliveries, blah blah blah. I was honestly worried. But then all I had was a 2 hour 42 minute delivery, no medication at all, no tearing/no stitches... I actually found childbirth very empowering, and loved being pregnant. My baby is a healthy, beautiful girl, delivered at term.
But... it took us a long time to conceive because hubby had some fertility issues so we needed IVF.
I would be very happy to get pregnant again and have another kid. Realistically, I'll probably be 38 or 39 before that happens.
Older moms rock. And there are more of us than people think! I have lots of friends who only started their families in the mid-30s.
Please don't worry too much but enjoy being pregnant. Live it up, show off that bump and take pics of your belly to laugh at later. :)

Thank you so much I love all these positive stories.
I am so worried everyday, I am only 8 weeks and I see my doctor in another TWO weeks uggg...I don't even know if he is going to do a scan at that point! The waiting is the worse.

I do have a question for all you older moms out there. I initially got my blood work done at a walk in clinic and the doctor on call there recommened me to take extra folic acid, I am not talking the extra that pregnant woman are required, but 4-5 times higher than the regular dose. She was basing this strickly on my age and not on any other health issues etc.

I started to take the extra but then read some articles saying that high amounts of folic acid could actually cause more problems...uggg, so I stopped for now.

But I was just wondering if anyone else was told to do the same?

Thanks!

My doctor said folic acid was very important, before and during pregnancy. I took some starting 3 months before.
Don't worry, you'll see your doctor soon! I see mine next week for the 1st ultrasound.
Let's talk! do you have nausea, fatigue? and what about the bump? are you starting to show?

I'm 7 weeks monday. I'm a little tired, but not all day, and I need to eat all the time LOL, otherwise I feel sick.. Even at night ! I had to get up and eat an apple...

Hi there! I know those first weeks are nerve wracking before you get a scan and heartbeat. I was 38 when I got pregnant, and I just turned 39. I had a SCH early on, so my doc put me on exercise/sex restrictions for a few weeks until the hematoma disappeared from my scan. Otherwise, so I have had an uneventful pregnancy. I'm 19 weeks today and am on the normal appointment schedule. I had the Harmony blood test at 10 weeks and an AFP blood test at 16 weeks.

I didn't experienced the folic acid thing with my doc. He just told me to take regular prenatals until 13 weeks.

Thank you so much I love all these positive stories.
I am so worried everyday, I am only 8 weeks and I see my doctor in another TWO weeks uggg...I don't even know if he is going to do a scan at that point! The waiting is the worse.

I do have a question for all you older moms out there. I initially got my blood work done at a walk in clinic and the doctor on call there recommened me to take extra folic acid, I am not talking the extra that pregnant woman are required, but 4-5 times higher than the regular dose. She was basing this strickly on my age and not on any other health issues etc.

I started to take the extra but then read some articles saying that high amounts of folic acid could actually cause more problems...uggg, so I stopped for now.

But I was just wondering if anyone else was told to do the same?

Thanks!

I hope you are taking some folic acid, even if not the higher dose, taking nothing is the least desirable option, do not wait, after about 10-12 weeks you have missed the chance for it to help.

I am on the higher dose, 5mg rather than 400mu (or whatever it's called), and would rather take that risk, than risk some kind of neural tube defect, which I have witnessed with devastating consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->