Anyone stopped testing after a strong positive?

edthedog

Baking another pink one! #4
Reaction score
With the last three pregnancies I have tested right up until about 6 weeks. But the last one ended up as a MC at 8-9 weeks (baby measured 6 weeks so actually hadn't technically been pregnant for 2-3 weeks) and I tested the day I started bleeding and still got a very strong BFP so know testing is a bit useless for telling how things are going anyway.

So have decided not to test since getting a strong positive on an ASDA test yesterday (14 dpo) but it feels really strange as I've never stopped testing this early before!

Do you think I should get some cheapies? I keep thinking about it but whereas before I used them for reassurance I know now that they wouldn't really tell me anything anyway so is it really worth it?

I guess I just have to wait until my scan and just worry if I start bleeding or feel different :shrug:

Anyone else not planning on testing anymore and just waiting for the scan?

Thanks ladies xxxx :thumbup:

my goal was to stop testing when i got a '3+' on a clearblue digital test. I got that today so that is my cue to stop testing. But I have got one more test left so I may test again in a week or more. If i start getting sickness or other strong symptoms then I probably wont test again and will use the symptoms as a guide that things are ok.

Wishing you lots of sticky dust and congratulations on your BFP xxx

Thanks Belle. I am trying to stear clear of the digis although I am really tempted; I just know they would cause me so much worry if I didn't get what I was expecting!

Congrats to you too and a H&H 9 months xxx

I only tested twice after I missed my period and not before, true I'm not a poas addict but I really think that once you've got that line, testing can add unnecessary worry or false hope as you say and there is no need to do it once you've seen that line more than once unless you're testing really early before you've missed your period. In my opinion it doesn't give you any valuable new information but I understand some ladies need the reassurance.
There are so many posts in the first tri about tests getting lighter etc and it can be effected by so many factors it doesn't mean anything bad is necessarily happening you know.
So I think it's best to stop if you can manage to :) Good luck! hehe x

Thanks so much Mammafrog - you're absolutely right, tests aren't going to tell me anything or influence whether this is going to be a successful pregnancy or not at this point so will just keep my fingers crossed and wait for my first scan.

Wise words!

xxxxx

*hugs tight* Wishing you all the luck with this pregnancy, I can only imagine how hard it is to relax after a loss, hope your scan doesn't take too long to roll around! Are you being given an early one?
All the best xXx

Thank you :) I could get an early scan through my GP but after discussion with OH we've decided not to. Again, could have a scan at 8 weeks and all be fine but it doesn't really tell you much I would probably then worry even more between that and the 12 week one!

I am a logical person and my body has produced two beautiful children without too much trouble so I sort of trust that it knows what it's doing so even though I was gutted about my MC I do think it happened because something wasn't right.

Roll on 2nd trimester - swore I would enjoy every second of my next pregnancy as it will be my last one but can't help look forward to the next few weeks being over!

xxxxxx

I think that is a brilliant way of looking at things and I definitely agree :) I'm so glad that past experience won't stop you from enjoying this pregnancy. I think waiting till 12 weeks is a good plan and well done for being patient and trusting that things will turn out as they should!
The first few weeks are not quite as exciting and it's hard feeling so rough, so I don't think it has much to do with your experience that you are looking forward to the nicer chapter hehe. I'm loving starting to have a bump and feel my baby ^^
Enjoy your two children and let them make these weeks go faster for you :hugs:
xxxxxx

I only did two tests, the first one came out faint at 16dpo so I took another on 17dpo to make sure my line was getting darker. Once I got the solid dark line, I stopped testing :)

I stopped testing after 5 days, as soon as my FRER had a darker test line than the control line. You cant get any darker than that and I was driving myself crazy! lol

In my last pregnancy I think I only did about 2 or 3 tests. I had so much going on, and also I just knew I was pregnant so I didn't need to test.
This time round I've done 7 already (well 8 if you count the one in the drs today)!!! But I've run out now and I'm not buying any more. They weren't making me worry less and they're about as dark as they can get so there's no point in testing!

I tested every day with my first baby, and comparing lines all the time and peeing on that stick KNOWING I was pregnant was just stressful for me. So, with my second baby and this pregnancy, I tested twice and that was it. You're pregnant! Congratulations! Now put the tests away. ;)

Twice, two BFP during the day, no FMU, so i stopped. Hospital and doctor did one also tho.

The first 2 tests I took were clearblue digis and both said 3+ weeks.

I've since taken 2 internet cheapies and have another 19 to take heh. I just love seeing that line :blush:

I'm having a hard time believing it's true, hence the early scan, so each time I test it's like finding out for the first time all over again :blush:

Thanks for your answers ladies! You've put my mind at rest and I am going to stay away from the tests :)

Here's to a stress-free happy and healthy 9 months to all of us xxxxx

edthedog - i think it is GREAT you stopped testing. I, myself have suffered 2 miscarriages and because of that i was a POAS-aholic! I got PG in August last year and i tested several times a day with cheapies. I drove myself NUTS. One day i was very faint, next day it was decent. Needless to say, i had a blighted ovum. I found out 2 days ago i am PG again! I tested with a cheapie and then went out and bought an Answer test. When i took the answer test and saw how strong it was, i've convinced myself to stop there. I know i will get my body worked up if in 4 days it looks a tiny lighter. When in reality my pee could just be diluted. Then i will drive myself nuts thinking something bad will happen. Just enjoy this time. If something bad is going to happen, it will happen regardless of how many tests you take. You've just got to keep going and carry on like we always do. Just enjoy your pregnancy. If you saw that strong line then stop there!

You're absolutely right babydust :thumbup:. Thank you :)

Congrats on your pregnancy and hope you have a healthy 9 months with a gorgeous squidgy at the end of it xxx

I hope so too!!! Just like you, i want this more than anything! When you lose a pregnancy you find yourself obsessing about it and want it more than anything in this world!

I did one test at 8DPO and that was it. It's not going to tell you anything other than you still have hcg. When I started MC with my MMC my hcg was still 20,000 so I would have had a definite positive yet I was starting to bleed. I have had the doctor order some blood tests because of my history but they really don't help anything as at this point there is nothing they can do if nature decides that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->