Anyone stopping / stopped at 6 months - should I?

cat lover

Mummy to 2 girls
Reaction score
Hi ladies

To begin with I never thought I would get this far (LO is almost 6 months). I combi feed, but very much mainly BF. I have always said I would be ecstatic to make it to 6 months as it has been a rocky road. Now I am nearly there and don't know. I plan to to it very gradually, dropping a feed a fortnight or so.

What are you other ladies doing? Is anyone stopping at 6 months, or have you done so? I would be grateful for opinions / experiences :flower:

No I don't see the point in stopping now!
I've came this far, why quit?

What would your reasons for stopping be? You're over the trickiest bit, and this is where you start reaping the rewards! Plus, obviously, it's still a better (and cheaper!) option than formula health-wise.

If you do want to stop though, you'd definitely be doing the right thing by taking it very gradually for you and your LO's benefit.

BFing after 6 months gets so easy. They are quick at feeding, and after a bit they feed less frequently cos thier food and liquid intake goes up. you'll find that LO will drop feeds by themselves whilst weaning. And you don't have to buy formula, or worry about which formula to buy, or if they will take it.

I tried to withold feeds a bit yesterday just to test how long he could go. There was only once when he really tried and he was distracted easily enough with lunch. If you feel you're ready to stop gradually is the way to go, personally I'm going on til a year so I don't need to buy formula. Then at 1 year I'll be going to college but I'll be happy to keep feeding him when I'm around :thumbup:

I have just weaned at just over 6 months. I decided to as my LO has a mouthful of teeth, kept nipping me, plus I'm starting back at work soon and hate expressing! I was really nervous about it, so just started by replacing her afternoon feed with a bottle. I did it really slow over around 6 weeks so that it didn't stress LO and I didn't get engorged.

I was a little upset when I realised my milk had started to dry up, but I'm so happy that I managed the 6 months, and know that it was the right time for us both. The only thing I would say is that I really miss the convenience of BF as washing, sterilising and making bottles is a hassle, plus formula milk is so expensive!

Well done for getting to 6 months, and do whatever you feel is right for you and your LO! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->