anyone studied online?

lucy_smith

Reaction score
Hello, I no it seems like a random question but have any of you done distance / online learning? Where did you study? What did you study and would you recommend it?
Has it helped you get a job you wanted?

I am doing half distance learning classes and half in person classes. I love my distance classes, I feel like I waste less time not being in class. I don't recommend it if you are a procrastinator as you have to set your own deadlines and work consistently to avoid being overloaded at the end of the semester.

My distance classes are through the community college, I am using them as state requirements for my teaching masters.

I'm doing a distance learning masters in the applied psychology of learning disabilities. I am enjoying it because of the flexibility it gives me to study around my full job where I work nights so no worrying about having morning classes. But as symphony said, it is hard work motivating yourself to keep on track when you don't have regular deadlines or someone to motivate you in person.

I did distance learning courses to finish my BA degree after I had my youngest. I loved them. It was so much easier to do my work on my own time and it enabled me to be there for my baby which was awesome. My degree was in history so...pretty useless in retrospect lol...but it was what I really wanted and has always been a major goal so I don't really care too much if I use it for a career. It was through the local state university. The only thing I would say is that for large distance learning courses (50+ students per course) it can be hard to form a really collaborative relationship with the professor, though not impossible.

I did my core classes on campus and then most of the classes for my major (Homeland Security - Austin Peay State University + Fort Campbell's Education Center) online. I loved it! It allowed me the freedom to study when it worked best for me, and I could work 32+ hours a week without a problem.

I did work for the military for a bit after graduating until I will injured, then I switched to a corporate job working for an insurance company. My degree and all of the knowledge/experience with investigations did help me get the job.

I am now doing an online program for Medical Coding and Billing (CareerStep) through the military spouse scholarship, and I'm enjoying it. If you're not a people person and would prefer to focus more on knocking out work versus customer service, then I do recommend that career field. :)

I haven't started yet but in the new year I'm going to start an 'access to midwifery' course through a place called Distance Learning Centre' from what I've read it's not an easy route but neither is college as I have a 6 month old and plan on going back to work part time in February.

Stalking this thread to see others experiences!!

I did my entire degree through the Open University which was free for me as I had such a low income. It took me 4 years to complete the course. I finished it in 2009 and was able to start teacher training in September 2009. I am now in my NQT year teaching in year 2.

People always told me that my OU degree would get me no where and to stop it and go to a 'proper' university. I'm glad I didn't listen!! It's saved me around £30,000 and has allowed me to get exactly the career I was after!! I'd recommend it!

This sounds great!! My work training finishes in December and want to do sometging online as I live in the highlands. The only problem is that the only work here is tourist and healthcare as there are a lot of elderly, so not sure what course to do :/ would you study something you would love? Or something that is sensible?

I would recommend finding something that combines both. Ideally you want a job you love that also pays the bills. Maybe figure out things that you enjoy doing and then trying to find an area of study that involves those things? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->