Anyone take meds for depression/anxiety?

ButterCup17

Reaction score
They sure are right when they say every pregnancy is different. I typically take Lexapro for depression/anxiety and it is very well managed. I stopped taking it with my last pregnancy and was fine, then started it again once he was born. I'm 8 weeks now, and stopped taking it when I got my bfp at 4 weeks. At first I thought I was fine but now, as it's completely out ofy system, I'm going crazy and each day is getting worse. I'm a sahm with an almost two year old and I'm losing my patience with him so much faster than normal. I'm getting angry and yelling at him, which I never do, and then I feel immediately guilty and start crying, I'm making myself sick to my stomach. I'm also horrible with oh, I yell at him the second he walks in the door, argue with him the next two hours until ds goes to bed, by then we aren't talking anymore and I spend the evening alone and crying about how badly I treated everyone all day. I'm calling my Dr first thing tomorrow to tell her I need back on my medicine or on another brand
My question is, have any of you taken Lexapro or any other antidepressants while pregnant? Did it cause any problem with your baby or pregnancy?
Tia

I was on Lexapro for years and went off when we decided to TTC. It hasn't been easy, but I feel better knowing that I'm not on anything. Personally, the first trimester was really rough for me, anxiety-wise, and it's flared up a bit again the last couple of days (I'm at 16 weeks now). I spent (what felt like) the entire first tri in tears, fighting with DH, panicking and worrying. It was horrible! But now that I'm out of it I think that hormones really had a lot to do with it and I'm glad I persevered and stayed off my meds. It's a personal decision though, I think a lot of women stay on their meds and are fine. Your doctor should know best.

I was on anti-depressants most of my second pregnancy and most of my third pregnancy. I went off of them during my first pregnancy and was fine, but it didn't work that way with my other two. I don't remember exactly what kind I was put on - I'm pretty sure it was Lexapro because that's what I took pre-pregnancy.

My doctor had told me that there was a small risk of the baby being born and having some minor withdrawl symptoms for a few days after birth, but it didn't happen with either baby that I took anti-depressants with. I believe there were some other small risks possible, however, my doctor and I talked it out and the benefits of my stable mental health for myself, my other children, and my unborn baby far outweighed the risks of taking the meds.

This pregnancy, I am off my anti-depressants. However, me, my OH, and my doctor are keeping a close eye on me to make sure that my depression doesn't come back and there aren't problems. If there are, I will be going back on my anti-depressants.

:hugs: I hope you and your doctor are able to figure out something that will work for you while you're pregnant. I also just wanted to say that you should be very proud of yourself for being proactive about your mental health. Sometimes, it's really difficult to do. :flower:

Thank you ladies!
And aidensxmama, I'm so emo right now that your last comment just made me cry again lol

I'm on a low dose of citalopram which is a generic very similar to Lexapro. I can't speak to the outcome because I'm only 11 weeks with my first pregnancy, but did want to share that I am staying on my meds and feel 100% comfortable with the decision, having done a lot of research and talked to both my doctor and pharmacist. My symptoms are very severe when not medicated (I've tried going off several times and last time was the worst, persistent suicidal thoughts etc which are very scary) but luckily a really low dose combined with Omega-3 capsules + general good self-care stops me from having any depressive episodes. I absolutely want what's best for my baby and I feel that having a mom who is happy to be alive vs. wishing to be dead is the best choice for him/her. Much love and I hope you feel much much better very soon. <3 <3 <3

I am 6 weeks and am taking citalopram. My doctor said they would rather I came off of it, but if I feel i need it, to stay on it as the effects coming off could be worse than those staying on. After the research i've also done myself, i am choosing to stay on it because i know i will become very badly depressed if i stop it (I could do with it upping really but will stick with what i'm on). I know that some kinds of anti-depressants are safer than others, such as citalopram, and don't do any harm to the baby. It's great that you're thinking of your babys health, but if you need to go back on them, I think you should, as your health and well-being is important too :flower: happy mum = happy baby! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->