Anyone taking Tamoxifen?

Hi , I am taking tamoxifen too!, I am on CD 1 right now I start 40mg of tamoxifen on cd3-7. good luck I hope it works for you! it has a better success rate then clomid.

Hello
I took 20mg and my tracking scan on Weds showed no follicles(day 13).
I'm getting ov signs now,although not holding any hope.

So sorry to hear that do you normally ovulate?.
I ovulate on my own so were just using tamoxifen to boost our chances.

Hello! It is so great to find someone who is also been given Tamoxifen (well two now), I have been given it as I have severe PCOS and do not ovulate, I was on clomid for 10mths but as I am NHS I did not have it tracked to see if it worked!
I have just finished a course of Provera to enduce a period so will start my first course of Tamoxifen in a couple of days.... is there any side affects that have bothered you??
Fingers-crossed for us all that it works - where did you hear that it has a better success rate than Clomid??? That's very positive :)

Hi WONGABUBBLES, today is my first day taking it and I have no side effects yet, The studies I have read on tamoxifen show it has a higher success rate and ongoing pregnancy rate / lower early miscarriage rate then clomid.

Management of anovulatory infertility associated with polycystic ovary syndrome: tamoxifen citrate an effective alternative compound to clomiphene citrate
Abstract
Clomiphene citrate (CC) is widely used as first-line treatment for ovulation induction in anovulatory women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Tamoxifen citrate (TMX), another non-steroidal selective estrogen receptor modulator, may also be effective on the resumption of ovulation in these women. The aim of this controlled observational study was to compare the efficacy and safety of ovulation induction with TMX versus CC in anovulatory infertile women with PCOS. A total of 102 consecutive women (mean age+/-SD: 31+/-3.6 years; range: 26-38) with PCOS were studied. Following a spontaneous or progesterone-induced withdrawal bleed, women received either 50 mg daily of CC (days 2-6) or 20 mg daily of TMX (days 2-5). In case ovulation failed to occur, the dose was sequentially increased to 100 mg daily of CC and 40 mg daily of TMX, respectively. Serum progesterone levels were measured on cycle day 21 to monitor the ovulation pattern. The overall ovulation rate was significantly higher in women who received TMX compared with those who received CC (61/98, 62.2% vs. 60/127, 47.2%, p=0.03). Although not statistically significant, the pregnancy rate per ovulatory cycle was higher in the TMX group compared to the CC group (14/61, 22.9% vs. 11/60, 18.3%, respectively). All pregnancies were single and there were no side-effects in either group of treatment. Collectively, these data demonstrate that TMX is a safe and effective agent, and a suitable alternative to CC for anovulatory infertility in women with PCOS.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To compare the effect of two ovulation-inducing agents, clomiphene citrate and tamoxifen, on cervical mucus and sperm-cervical mucus interaction.

SUBJECTS AND SETTING:
Forty couples with unexplained infertility attending infertility clinic.

METHODS:
Cervical mucus scoring and postcoital test done using the Moghissi system in a spontaneous cycle (control cycle) and with clomiphene citrate or tamoxifen (study cycles).

RESULTS:
Clomiphene citrate significantly decreased cervical mucus production, whereas tamoxifen significantly improved the total score.

CONCLUSION:
Tamoxifen is a better drug than clomiphene for ovulation induction in women with poor cervical mucus quality.

Abstract
Tamoxifen has been reported to be oestrogenic on the lower genital tract. To evaluate its potential positive effect on the endometrium, and consequently early miscarriage and ongoing pregnancy rate, a prospective study was employed in patients for intrauterine insemination who failed to develop an adequate endometrial thickness in a previous ovulatory cycle. Ovarian stimulation was initiated with tamoxifen 40 mg/day from day 3 of the menstrual cycle for 7 days or clomiphene 100 mg/day for 5 days, in combination with 150 IU of human menopausal gonadotrophin on alternate days starting on day 4. Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) was administered when at least one leading follicle was larger than 20 mm. Intrauterine insemination was accomplished 24-36 h after HCG injection and luteal phase supplement was achieved with micronized progesterone 200 mg transvaginally per day. It was found that tamoxifen-treated patients required more stimulation days and used more gonadotrophin, but recruited less follicles larger than 14 mm than clomiphene-treated patients. However, a significantly increased endometrial thickness (P < 0.001) and pregnancy rate (P = 0.015), decreased early miscarriage rate (P = 0.001) and thus improved ongoing pregnancy (P < 0.001) rate were noted in tamoxifen-treated patients. These results suggest that although tamoxifen may not be a first-line treatment in patients with adequate endometrium, it may be a promising alternative for patients with thin endometrium.

Thank you so much for your reply - it is incredibly helpful :thumbup:

AF came today so I will be close behind you, will start taking Tamoxifen tomorrow.

Good Luck

:happydance:

...this will work, I have a good feeling...

Today is my third day on 40mg no side effects yet.
I have a very good feeling too hopefully well be due date buddies.:flower:

Hello, it's my first post on this board (I think? I get confused with all boards...). Anyway, I took tamoxifen for the first time this cycle (to improve ovulation). Now I'm on CD14, and didn't have even a drop of CM so far, and all negative on OPKs... It makes me very upset :-(... Last three days I've had some pain in my ovaries, but other than that - no side effect from tamoxifen. The doc was supposed to monitor me, but.. she went on vacation :-(... Anyway, good luck to all of you, I'm curious to find out how it goes for you.

Hello, it's my first post on this board (I think? I get confused with all boards...). Anyway, I took tamoxifen for the first time this cycle (to improve ovulation). Now I'm on CD14, and didn't have even a drop of CM so far, and all negative on OPKs... It makes me very upset :-(... Last three days I've had some pain in my ovaries, but other than that - no side effect from tamoxifen. The doc was supposed to monitor me, but.. she went on vacation :-(... Anyway, good luck to all of you, I'm curious to find out how it goes for you.

Sorry to hear that if you dont ovulate this cycle your dose can be raised for next cycle, what dose are you on this month?. I ovulate every cycle but sometimes not till CD 16 so maybe your getting ready to ovulate.

Thanks, lisap2008, it could be that i'll still ovulate, but i think this complete lack of CM shows that things are just not right... i think i usually do ovulate, but i've had endometriosis, problems with progesterone, and the no CM shows that my chances are very low... very depressing... and my FSH this cycle was 11.8

When/IF you get your positive OPK try either canola oil or pasteurized egg whites as a lube. I used egg whites in 08 when I got my BFP on clomid and the clomid had dried everything up. the egg whites have a PH of 9 which makes the sperm thrive and live longer.

Canola oil has been recommended by many RE's as an alternative to preseed.
it causes no harm to sperm and helps them swim up there. many women have gotten a BFP the first cycle using it.

Thank you! we'll try it.. if i ever get a positive opk...

Hi LisaP - I really do hope we are, spring babies!! :D
I am soooo ready for this now, been TTC for nearly two years now and tried EVERYTHING else (except IVF)
No side affects of the TMX yets (2 days down, 2 days left) I'm on 20mg per day.
Do you get scanned or have CD21 blood tests every month to see whether you are ovulating? I get the feeling that I am not monitered like most of the other TTC'ers in a similair situation. My doc is just monitering me with blood tests on day 21 each cycle and that is all, seen as neither of us knows how long my cycle is it seems weird that I only get tested on day 21.... bit confused about that.

Hi Tysia - welcome to the chat :)
Sorry to hear that your you may not have ovulated this cycle - don't give up hope, keep us posted on your progress, there doesn't seem to be many of us on Tamoxifen so would be good to keep in contact with each other to see how it goes.

Are you both on TMX for 3 months only???

Wow a lot more ladies x
I had no response from 20mg tamoxifen so onto 40mg this month. I had really bad headaches last month :(

so I finally got EWCM on day 16 on the cycle, but all negative OPKs including day 16th. Today CD17, still low temperatures. Last four days I had pain in my ovaries, almost continuous... I'm on 20 mg. This was my first month, not sure what the doc plans next... I do hope to get more updates from you guys to see how this works for you.

maliah09: sorry about the headaches I hope the 40 mg works for you!.

Tysia: you might be getting ready to ovulate keep testing with the OPKs.

WONGABUBBLES: I am not being monitored on the tamoxifen I am using OPKs to predict ovulation,
and usually very sore BB's follow ovulation so that how I know I ovulated. my doctor has done cd 21 test ,
and it was on a natural cycle my progesterone was 27 at 5dpo. so that showed a good ovulation.
once they saw that I ovulate on my own. they did not see any reason to repeat the cd 21 test.
so were using tamoxifen to raise our chances by stimulating more then one egg hopefully.
More eggs = a better chance the sperm will fertilize at least one.:D

I am having a few side effects the past few days ,mainly alot of hot flashes and it does not help that summer is almost here.
and some moodiness and bloating,but still nothing like the horrible clomid side effects I had.
I will be on tamoxifen for 4 months hopefully it wont take very long and I get my BFP this cycle or next.
we have been TTC for 2 years as well with 2 miscarriages a year apart.

wow, so that's where the hot flashes come from, and all the bloating.. i thought i was just eating too much or wrong food or something...

and guess what... i have to announce to the whole world... I GOT MY FIRST EVER +OPK!!!!
wow it's so cool! i mean it's the first cycle i ever tried it, but after five days of negatives i was so depressed... and now all i think about is that canola oil :)

Lisap2008, i do hope you get your BFP soon, and a take home baby... two years is enough!

Lisap2008, or anyone who knows... how do you use canola oil instead of the preseed? i'm afraid that it'll just leak out immediately :( please help! and TIA!!

I use a medicine syringe and suck up just about 3-4ml and insert in the v.
Good luck I hope you catch the egg!.

yes the hot flashes are a normal side effect of tamoxifen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->