Anyone who's had a baby already...

fuffyburra

Hattie Flower's mummy :)
Reaction score
How often do they take blood? I'm terrified of veins, and unfortunately that's where the blood is! Just need to prepare myself I suppose lol.

*hugs* i hate hate HATE needles buyt I hate to tell you that childbirth is a wee more painfull.
I think they took about 4 times? I didnt like it but took a deeeeep breathe and knew it was nothing in the scheme of things :)

i had lot of blood taken due to previous complications 10+ but you can refuse bloods its up to you and weather you can deal with not knowing whats going on with your blood count or whatever xx

At least at the end of childbirth you get a reward, that's how I'm looking at it lol! Last time I got blood taken I screamed and cried and wretched, then OH had to sit on my legs and hold my arms down so I couldn't kick/hit anyone. It was so wierd, I've never acted like such a pansy in all my life, I have no idea where it came from :/ I usually cope alright with fear and stuff. But now, because last time was such a fiasco, I've got it built up in my head as something much worse than it is.
I've even considered hypnotherapy or something. It's not even the pain, it's the fact that it's going in to a vein lol. This sounds wierd XD
Anywho, thankyou for replying :) xx

I didn't know you could refuse them. I think I'd feel guilty about not doing the best for the baby though :( Maybe they could take it less often, a happy compromise! :)

:hugs: to you! I know how you feel coz I was EXACTLY the same! Hated it! They only took mine about 4 times..but I tell you something, after going through childbirth...needles dont even phase me now! :rofl:

I just had to look away and keep thinking.. its for the baby, its for the baby :D Makes it easier! :D

4 times isn't so bad I guess.
I suppose I won't know how I feel until I get there, maybe knowing it's for the baby will make it a peice of cake! I reallyyyyyyy hope so! :p Thanks everyone xx

Ha about your OH having to sit on you... I had that the other day (not the being sat on- the crying screaming and wretching in fear). It's so strange how you act like a toddler and can't help yourself... I don't mind injections but hate waiting for them, I always hyperventilate in the waiting room then once it's done I'm like, is that it? :hugs:

i second this post. im more worried about that than anything else at all to do with pregnancy or birth or being a mummy!! very scared of needles.. esp that horrible soft skin on the inside of the arms uuurrrrghhhh...

4 times!!!???? cant they just take 4 times as much once?!?!:rofl:

I feel your pain. I pass out almost every single time I have blood drawn. I've already spoken with my doctor about and she said it will not harm the baby in any way if I faint.

There is also a numbing cream you can buy to put on your arm before getting blood drawn. It might help if you don't look and you don't feel it as much.

I didn't get blood took alot when i was pregnant with my son. Prob could count on one hand how many times, but that's prob because my pregnancy was great and had no complications.

Is it just needles your scared of or pain in general? Was just wondering because if you get an epidural then that's a needle.

If you are really worried about it though i would speak to your doctor about it when you get pregnant and they will put you at ease.

Take care

It can depend on how you are during your pregnancy. I had my blood taken about 10 times. I was really anaemic during pregnancy so they kept a eye on my iron and ferritin levels. I was borderline for GD so i got my GD test a few times and i lost a lot of blood when giving birth so i had a few blood tests taken then too. Mention it to the person that you are scared and they are normally pretty good. You will be fine hun.

you can buy 'EMLA' cream at most boots stores people use it for tattoo numbing too

I hate needles as well. I don't cry or scream, but I can't watch them open the needles, I can't watch them stick it in me, etc. I basically can't look at the needle at all. And it makes me physically sick even if I don't look at it, I get light-headed and I am nauseated and I usually require a bucket :sick:

It's one of the reasons (though not the most important reason) I want a natural birth. No epidurals for me! I'd rather go through a painful childbirth then have a needle in my back (and a huge one at that!).

I hate needles as well. I don't cry or scream, but I can't watch them open the needles, I can't watch them stick it in me, etc. I basically can't look at the needle at all. And it makes me physically sick even if I don't look at it, I get light-headed and I am nauseated and I usually require a bucket :sick:

It's one of the reasons (though not the most important reason) I want a natural birth. No epidurals for me! I'd rather go through a painful childbirth then have a needle in my back (and a huge one at that!).

No needles for me either! All the ladies I know have had complications (like on going headaches and backaches)so I defo don't want that! And I beleive childbirth isn't something thats supposed to be comfortable. AF is pretty aweful to me when I'm not on the pill so its a minor practice for labor lol

Not needles really, nor pain (though I don't like the feeling much!), just veins and the inner bit of my arm (especially wrists) I feel sick reading this, I wish I hadn't now cos I'm trying to eat XD lol I'm such a goober! :p That cream sounds brilliant, I'm definitely gonna try and get my hands on some. At least that way I can pretend it's not happening if I can't feel it :p
My next door neighbour's a psychatric nurse and she's gonna bring home some blood taking equipment so I can get more used to it and it won't be so scary for me. She informs me this will help, so I'm gonna trust her! :)
Thanks everyone :) xx

Just wanted to butt in and comment on the EMLA cream. I have to have a cannula inserted every other week for hospital procedures and have a massive phobia of needles. I discovered the cream a few months ago and have never looked back! I apply it about an hour/hour and a half before I'm due to have it done and it works a treat, I dont feel a thing. Although its not the pain that really scares me, it definately helps me knowing its not going to hurt. Its about £3 from most chemists. (you'll need to ask at the pharmacy counter for it) Would definately reccommend it. To be safe I'd put it on both arms just incase they have trouble taking from one side etc.

Thanks, good to know it's that effective, and I'd have to apply it to both arms because I have "dainty veins" apparently lol. They always have trouble finding them, laugh and say "oops, they're very dainty aren't they! Didn't want me to find them!", while I'm spewing in to a bucket. I'm literally willing to try ANYTHING! And if it's that cheap I'll be over the moon! :) Thanks for the recommendation! xx

Oh this is wonderful news about the cream! I too, like most of you lovelies absolutely cannot stand the thought of needles or shots. I was in line to give blood after a most touching sermon given by my pastor at church last weekend. I was just doing some self-positive re-inforcement "come on, you can do this, its for a great cause, this girl really needs your help" etc, etc and when a woman 3 people in front of me passed out when getting out of the unit, I was like, " Nope, no way, sorry I'm outta here!"

I have run so many painful road races (some of them 26 miles), broken bones, and put myself through what some would consider torture and I am afraid of a tiny little needle.. makes absolutely no sense, but its the truth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->