Are early scans worth it?

choc

Reaction score
I am feeling so anxious about something going wrong with this pregnancy that I was thinking about paying for an early scan. But then I'm wondering if they are worth it? Is it a case of they reassure you for that day but then anything could go wrong the next day anyway?! Do they really aliviate your worries or is it a real short term fix?

I'm considering one aswel Hun and wondering the same questions xx

They are definitely reassuring if you have to wait until 12 weeks for a scan but I wouldn't recommend one until at least 7 maybe 8 weeks xx

I switched OBs because my original one wouldn't do an ultrasound until 12 weeks. The new one I found did it at 8. There were other reasons I switched as well, but that was a big part. It definitely reassured me all was well.

That's what I was thinking, 8 weeks. Otherwise yes it would be 12. So after the scan you don't start worrying again after a few days? Once you've seen baby is ok is it less likely for something to go wrong?

I really think it depends on the individual. The chance of mc goes down once you see a heartbeat but obviously not as much as we would like x

That's what I was thinking, 8 weeks. Otherwise yes it would be 12. So after the scan you don't start worrying again after a few days? Once you've seen baby is ok is it less likely for something to go wrong?

Of course I still worry as it's still early and anything can happen, but it is less since I saw the baby and it's heartbeat. I also have a doppler at home and have heard the heartbeat so that is reassuring as well. But for me it was better to have that confirmation at 8 weeks rather than waiting another month of panicking. I do still worry, but not as much.

I guess it would depend how long they are making you wait...

Originally they were going to make me wait until I was 12+ weeks along, which is WAY too long IMO!!!

Needless to say I found a new doctor and ended up having an u/s at 7w 2d. I got to see the heartbeat, see baby, and see the yolk sac (lol) as well as be reassured that everything was looking good. It made me really happy. I can't imagine having to wait until the 2nd trimester to see baby, so if you're looking at that kind of wait I'd say go for it!

Agreed with above mums..I always get a "dating" scan. Of course I am fortunate that's part of my prenatal care..but I would say do one anywhere from 7 to 8 weeks up if you have to pay. Otherwise not much bang for your buck lol...good luck!

I am paying for one due to a mmc last year at 11+5. I know it will put my mind at ease a little. I will be around 7+4 when I go for my scan...

I'll be 7+1 when I go for mine. The doctor just told me To go & gave me the referral. I will still worry afterwards, but I'm glad I'm getting One!

I really can't decide! It would be £75 and other wise it's a wait til 12 weeks. But I can't help wondering if it would be worse to see baby Ok at 8 weeks and then maybe find at the 12 week scan that things haven't progressed.

Sadly the reality is if something is find to go wrong a scan wont prevent it, it might give your reassurance but as you say it could change the next day, personally I don't see the point in paying all that money for a scan 4 weeks earlier.

I thought about paying for one, since we don't get a scan till the NT if we are having a low risk pregnancy. But I'll be honest I decided that in the first 12 weeks with the risk being what they are (scan or not), if I heard that little hb and the worst happened it would just make it so much worse. :nope:

12 weeks went faster than I thought it would, and my scan is now on Monday. SO EXCITED. :happydance:

I went for 2 early scans due to a early mc and they was so reassuring and worth the money..

ladies in the uk, when you talk about paying for a scan, where would you get it done? at a private clinic? only asking as I'm interested in doing it too but wouldn't know how to go about it! x

I paid for an early scan because I am a worrier and although it didn't stop me from worrying completely seeing the heartbeat did make me feel a hell of a lot better x

As a high risk patient I got scans from 4+3 with lo.
While they did reassure me somewhat I was never relaxed cause I worry constantly.
I definitely think a scan at 7/8 weeks is beneficially if your a worrier.

I had an early scan last week because I had a mc in October and fell pregnant straight away and my midwife wouldn't offer me an early scan. It was lovely to have but I still worry something will go wrong.

I used babybond for mine, they have various locations in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->