are estates/bigger cars harder to drive?

jazmine18

Reaction score
Hi
Im 23 and passed my driving test a week ago :happydance:
And asked my grandparents to keep an eye out if they see any cars, tried to tell them what I was after, preferably a peugeot 307 or Renault clio, and am very grateful for their help but sometimes they just go for what they want instead.

So got a call today saying we found a car, arranging it all, its a peugeot 206 estate.
And dont get me wrong , I dont want to come across as ungrateful but its not really what I had in mind, im not the most confident driver, do you think I will get used to a bigger car?

Also even though its the same engine size as other cars I was looking at , the insurance is coming up more expensive, is this purley because its an estate?

Any advice please :flower: x

Until we bought out current car I had only ever driven small cars like Corsa's or Ford Fiesta's and the thought of driving an estate scared the life out of me!
We now have a Peugeot 307 sw - so it's lightly smaller than an estate - and whilst it took a bit of getting used to I now love it! It handles much better than a smaller car and well the boot space is amazing!

Bigger cars are not harder to drive so don't worry, you find that all ford cars drive the same regardless of size as same with Renault or any other make, only harder part being that it is bigger to park etc, I've just gone from a mini to family b class merc and I've had no probs except have to be a bit more careful parking as size difference is huge from my little mini haha :D hope this helps

I used to drive a little focus, was terrified of anything bigger,

Now I have a mondeo, it's massive.. I love it! I will never downsize. It's easier to drive, harder to park x

^^ ditto easier to drive harder to park. I had a peugeot 407sw for five years loved it! 2.2l engine though so pricey to insure and fill up! Have just swapped cars with OH and now driving a KA lol

^ I agree 100% - bigger vehicles are easier to drive but best practice parking. When I was 21 I passed my test in a Micra then went and bought a 3.5T renault master van to go to festivals in. Almost shat a brick when I first got behind the wheel but was soon so used to it that when I next tried to drive a car it felt like a toy :lol:

i had a polo & now a nissan tino, it was a bit hard for the first few weeks (getting used to the width of it) i had my polo 3 years so i was used to being able to squeeze through tiny gaps.

parking im fine with, but i probably wouldnt reverse into a bay if i didnt have the reversing camera but parallell & forward bays im fine with :) xx

I find them nicer to drive. I love my Vectra, I don't think I will ever downsize again. I haven't really noticed them being harder to park. I think once you get used to the fact it is a bigger car to fit in then your fine.

We have a Citroen C8 (7 seater) and I dont find any difference in driving though i must admit im not as confident parking in tight spaces and do tend to have a drive round to see if i can find a bigger space first :haha:

I used to drive a little focus, was terrified of anything bigger,

Now I have a mondeo, it's massive.. I love it! I will never downsize. It's easier to drive, harder to park x

Completely agree! I've gone from a Saxo to a Mondeo and its bloody pain to park. But I wouldn't give it up for love nor money!

We have a Nissan note, before that I was used to driving a micra and was worried, but the note was ok, now DH wants a skoda Octavia estate next year and I am worried how I am going to park it! At least I can use baby spaces at the mo :) xxxx

It's amazing how quickly you will adapt to driving a different sized car, I hate small cars and have never really had one but had to drive dh's on occasion (he has always had Clio, corsa, micra cheap to run for work sensible option cars) whereas I have always driven a bigger car

I used to drive a skoda superb (Volkswagen passat in disguise) and it's a really long car but I could park that thing in a box, but when you spend 10 hours a day driving something you really do get a real feel for it, still to this day can't park dh's corsa to save myself haha

I have a focus but often drive DHs Honda accord estate. It's a breeze to drive; I prefer it! Parking is fine too, once you've had a few attempts!! I find reverse parallel parking the easiest as I just aim whichever mirror at the kerb, then go by that. Once you've judged the length (ahem) you'll be ok!!

I personally find saloon type cars a nightmare in terms of parking and manoeuvring. Having said that we now have a vw tiguan which is a 4x4 and it's great to drive and I got it into the doctors car park the other day which is small without bashing anything lol

It's really something you get used to, but I like squary boxy shaped cars as opposed to long ones to drive and park.xx

Congrats on passing your test!!

Congrats on passing your test!

I drive a bus (literally) :lol: and I don't find it any harder than my Zafira, or my Corsa. Good luck! xx

I've had estates and hatchbacks and find very little difference in ease of driving, but longer cars are def harder topark! I do live in a city though so parallel park on the street a lot. If i lived somewhere less congested i wouldn't think twice about having another estate. The boot space is immense!

I went from a Pug 106 to a Renault scenic. And to be honest, after a few practise reverse and parallel parks, and getting to know all my mark points etc I found it no different. You just have to remember your a bit bigger, haha.

Its finding a space on a street that is harder as a lot of folk are selfish parkers and will leave a space a small car can fit, but nothing bigger.

I tend to find parking longer cars easier than parking smaller cars :wacko:

I've mostly had tourings/estates since I passed my tests and prefer them much more to smaller cars. I find that I drive them much easier and what's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->