Are expensive changing bags worth it?

Noodles

Mummy to two boys!
Reaction score
I have got my heart set on this one...

https://www.thatcuteage.com/photo/p2085/o4450 it comes with a padded microfibre change mat, insulated bottle holder, zip top pvc wipes bag, plastic wipes case and clip for keys/soother and can be used as a normal bag when FLump is older.

But it's looking at costing about £110 which is a lot of money. On the one hand I keep telling myself that I will use it everyday and it will be good quality and go with my outfits and the other side of me is saying that a cheap pne from boots will do the same job.

In your opinion are expensive changing bags worth it?

For me no, but I wouldn't spend £500 on a handbag like some people do either.

I got a changing bag that matches my pushchair/travel system thing for £25. I won't be too upset when I get baby milk/food/sick all over that, I would if I'd paid £100 for it.

But, if you love it and you can afford it go for it, I know plenty of people that would.

I've managed without one at all!

Really depends what that £110 is worth to you... (some people wouldn't dream of spending that on a hand/changing bag, others wouldn't blink, and EVERYTHING in between...).

Bare in mind that you will most probably get milk/sick/poo on it - would you be ok with that?

If you really want it and it is worth it to you, then go for it.

QT

I don't have a lot of money at all. It would be bought with my christmas money from both my mum, nan and in laws.

I don't have a lot of money at all. It would be bought with my christmas money from both my mum, nan and in laws.

If it is money set aside to "treat yourself" (which Christmas money normally is) and it is worth it to you, then still go for it. BUT look at what else you could buy/treat yourself to with that money (new clothes, spa treatment, whatever...).

Don't feel any "peer pressure" to get an expensive bag: once changing bag looks pretty similar to another from a distance (especially with baby milk/sick/poo down it :winkwink: ). BUT if it would make YOU feel good, then that is a different matter.

Personally I would probably rather spend £100 on a handbag and £25 on a changing bag: the handbag will stay nicer looking for longer etc...

QT

I was wondering this too, I have seen some that look pretty good (new) on ebay for about £20 and was wondering what the difference was between them and the really expensive ones?

err, my idea of an expensive changing bag is 30 quid...so i dont know how valid my vote is :rofl:

Personally, I wouldnt spend that much on a changing bag...im hunting around to buy one that matches my travel system for less than the £29 RRP!! Like has already been said, how would you react if you opened the bag up and noticed that the bottle had leaked everywhere inside it? or the muslin cloth covered in puke had transferred said puke onto the inside of your bag!??

that said...i do love the OiOi bags, but you just cant get them at a reasonable price!!

£100 is very steep but if you love it then maybe... I agree with what JayDee said though about getting sick and stuff on it. Plus - if I spent that much I'd want a real snazzy expensive looking bag. Although that one is nice it isn't out of the ordinary enough for me to want to spend that much on it! Hope that makes sense!

i the early months i used the free one you get form pampers , lol. i could never spend that much on a changing bag, but each to their own , if you want it hun and can afford it then go for it :)
i found i only used the whole bag a couple of times a week, if we were just nipping into town for a coule of hours i would just put a couple of bits that i may need in my bag.
lo is 18 months now and i have just brought him a thomas backpack to put his nappies/ jumper/ drink/ suncream etc.. in when we go out, and he is so impressed with it (big thomas fan) :)

only thing i would add is that if you spend that much on a bag make sure you check it can be easily cleaned ( mind you i was given a weekend bag that i used as my hosp bag that says not to machione wash .. lol... i checked it over and though "well , why not" couldnt see anything special about the material or anything so chucked it in on a normal cycle and it came out fine :)

With my 1st baby I was "designer" all the way, spending £200 on gucci shoes, £100 on jeans etc. But now 2nd time I haven't even thought about buying such things. All I can say is "what the hell was I thinking"!!

But then again, like many have mentioned, if you like it that much then buy it! That was my reasoning all the time. But having spent ridiculous amounts of money on my son's clothing then I had to accept that they would get ruined at some point.

Luckily they didn't - so I managed to sell them on Ebay and get back most of what I had spent.

I've used the one from Boots Parenting Club (Black with grey pockets, soooo many people have them!) since DD1 was born 2.5 years ago. It's lasted aswell and it was free! I will be buying a new changing bag for this baby but wont be going over £30 for one, cheaper if I can find a nice one on eBay or something.

So, I voted no, but then I'm a cheapskate :blush:

I got my changing bag free from boots with the pampers voucher and i think it's pretty good. I could thing of better things to spend money on, on the other hand if i was rich i would quite happily spend a couple of hundred on a top of the range changing bag!

with my daughter i got one free from boots when you sign up to the parenting club and that did me fine, this time i got one with my pram but i would personally rather get a cheap change bag and then a nice handbag for yourself they get messy especially when u get to 5/6 months and your carrying food jars and yoghurts in them with spoons xx

I got a pink lining changing bag and it's gorgeous, but I'd not want to use it as anything other than a baby changing bag. It has all the things the one you're looking at does and more, for a fraction of the cost (£65) and to me it was an expensive changing bag. BUT, I fell in love with it and I know I'll love every second of using it.

Essentially, it's not worth the money for anything other than your own personal love of the bag. Which, to me, is always worth it.

Thanks girls. i think I will stick to the one that come with the pram

I would have origionally said yes but my OH was saying he does not want to be trawling about with a fancy girly changing bag when I am not there and he has a point, buy a nice big handbag if you want to spend £110 you should get a lovely one for that and you and OH can use a multipurpose unisex changing bag

Thanks girls. i think I will stick to the one that come with the pram

Sounds most sensible - treat yourself to something else instead (like a very nice handbag etc). :thumbup:

QT

Waste of money.
Could spend it on your child instead.
Free one from boots does the job, thats all you need.

Ah now that's not fair. I really hate the "You could spend it on your child instead" attitudes that people take sometimes. It's not like she's saying she's going to buy this bag and then deprive the child of food. I'm sure that, like most babies born the women on these boards, her newborn will be adored and spoiled as much as any other. Bag or no bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->