Are pregnant women entitled to special treatment?

Smokey, I love your siggy pics...your little guy is super cute!!!

Thank you, I was planning on updating it today as he has grown so much since these where taken.

I agree that I don't think they are entitled but I think it's courteous. I get the tram to work on a tuesday and I always stand but I prefer to stand because I'm up so early that if I sit down I end up feeling to sleepy and can't be bothered to get up to get off and go do my shift lol. However, I hate and actually really resent this opinion some people have that pregnant ladies shouldn't have any rights or extra entitlements etc because we chose to be this way. Sure we did, but I tell you what if we didn't choose to be this way what the hell would happen to the human race?! Let's face it, it's only very few of us that walk around with this sense of entitlement when pregnant but when you get people singling you out and assuming you're gonna expect more because you're pregnant it gets pretty annoying. I work with someone who really resents women going on maternity leave and makes snidey comments about how he wishes he got a year of as an when he felt like it. Tell you what ladies, let's all stop getting pregnant to keep these self-righteous ignoramus's happy shall we. I resent somebody purposefully treating me like crap because I "chose" to get pregnant. Do they begrudge their mother's being pregnant with them too do you think.

I think its nice if someone does give up a seat etc for you if your pregnant but no i don't think they are entitled. I do think if someone looks like they are about to collapse, pregnancy related or not they should be given help.

But I generally think people just don't care about anyone else these days, I have been going to a doctors appt, carrying two car seats (twins) and trying to control a toddler and people haven't even the decency to hold i door open. I dont think I am entitled to that help, but I do believe that all people should treat others like they would like to be treated. How much nicer would things be then?

I work with someone who really resents women going on maternity leave and makes snidey comments about how he wishes he got a year of as an when he felt like it. Tell you what ladies, let's all stop getting pregnant to keep these self-righteous ignoramus's happy shall we.

I have exactly the same thing at work with one person who never intends to have children, and feels incredibly resentful of the fact that I get maternity leave, an ex gratia payment, domestic sick leave and flexible working hours. I've told her though, it's not like you don't qualify - if you feel that strongly about it then have a kid!

I have exactly the same thing at work with one person who never intends to have children, and feels incredibly resentful of the fact that I get maternity leave, an ex gratia payment, domestic sick leave and flexible working hours. I've told her though, it's not like you don't qualify - if you feel that strongly about it then have a kid!

Be careful. I know a lot of my colleagues think this about me but it is just my way of hiding the fact that although I desperately want to I can't. Just worth considering.

But as for the being entitled to special treatment I think they do. Apart from anything else isn't there a health and safety consideration on public transport? Our bus drivers drive around like you signed some kind of suicide pact when you boarded so I would have thought it would be pretty dangerous for a pregnant woman to be standing.

The only thing I would say a pregnant woman has more of an entitlement (but only within reason) is use of a toilet.

I think in England the law is (if it has not been repealed) a pregnant woman can even wee in a policeman's hat.

This made me laugh, I don't exactly know how old this law is but it sounds like something Lord Denning would say.

The only thing I would say a pregnant woman has more of an entitlement (but only within reason) is use of a toilet.

I think in England the law is (if it has not been repealed) a pregnant woman can even wee in a policeman's hat.

This made me laugh, I don't exactly know how old this law is but it sounds like something Lord Denning would say.

I think I might get impregnated to see if this is true!!

Biggest issue I found standing on public transport when pregnant was that I took up so much room. I needed the space of 2 people standing, whereas if I was on a seat, I obviously only took up that one seat. Therefore, if I was standing, the bus overall had less capacity. If that makes sense?

I think it depends on the pregnancy, though. I had horrible morning sickness, so in the first tri I really needed to be seated, otherwise I was quite ill. By the end, though, I wasn't uncomfortable, and I didn't feel the need to sit down and rest any more than normal (only issue was how much space I took up!!)

I don't tend to offer my seat to anyone these days, as with LO on my back it's awkward to stand and keep my balance. I wouldn't expect to be given a seat though.

Be careful. I know a lot of my colleagues think this about me but it is just my way of hiding the fact that although I desperately want to I can't. Just worth considering.

She's a butch lesbian who hates children, so pretty sure that's not the case :haha:

I think all of society has a general interest in the continuation of the human race and therefore pregnant women should be entitled to some comforts (like bus seats) whilst pregnant. Decreasing population is a real problem in some countries actually, and everyone should be grateful that you have decided to have a child. Despite what doomsday sayers claim, the world population is not spiraling out of control. For the last fifty years, birthrates everywhere have been decreasing (a trend which is very likely to continue with increased modernization in the world).

That child in your belly might one day grow-up to be someone amazing who saves a busload of people. In deference to the idea that we all respect human life and human potential, I think we should ALL respect pregnant women and give them a hand.

I think I might get impregnated to see if this is true!!

lol with both pregnancies I used to be on the look out for policemen with hats on. But their hats seemed to have decreased in size. I think the only place where they still wear the big hats is in London. Outside of that they wear these flat hats which wouldn't do much to contain urine :lol:

If you try peeing in a policemans hat you wont have to worry too much about finding a toilet as you will ahve a nice shiney metal one in the same cell your sleeping in :)

lol that made me chuckle but in all seriousness..there was a documentary i was watching and it was a legitimate place for a pregnant person to urinate..it was aired to emphasise the notion that pregnant women can wee anywhere and are exempt from laws governing decency etc that might prevent her from wee-ing anywhere from a bush, alley to a policeman's hat.

I asked my ex whos a police man and he said it was a myth

I don't think they are entitled either, but I always offer!
I really can't stand when someone moans that they weren't offered a seat and had to stand and why didn't someone offer etc etc. why don't you just ask?! I have been on bus and trains before with the kids I mind and if there are no seats I automatically ask people if they can sit as its hard for a 2 yr old to stand on a quick moving bus, I've never had anyone say no!

I just call that good manners. Its not often now a man will hold the door open for a woman or even give up a seat on a bus, pregnant or not. Though having people help you when you are pregnant to me shows respect I bet people would be fumming if people where not offering seats and helping when pregnant. I remember tesco delivered my shopping every week and dumped it on my floor stood over me and watching me scramble around with SPD so I was in obvious pain while the driver made a point of not helping me. One driver one week did help I never forgot that and he was a gent. So no one is entitled to this but why not have good manners? I would help anyone in need regardless of condition or sex if they needed it.

I just call that good manners. Its not often now a man will hold the door open for a woman or even give up a seat on a bus, pregnant or not. Though having people help you when you are pregnant to me shows respect I bet people would be fumming if people where not offering seats and helping when pregnant. I remember tesco delivered my shopping every week and dumped it on my floor stood over me and watching me scramble around with SPD so I was in obvious pain while the driver made a point of not helping me. One driver one week did help I never forgot that and he was a gent. So no one is entitled to this but why not have good manners? I would help anyone in need regardless of condition or sex if they needed it.

sadly times have changed and the truth of it is its not often ANYONE holds the door open for anyone else.
I was coming out of a shop the other day and held the door open for a elderly lady to come in before I exited and she just looked at me in complete shock and said thankyou, I couldnt help think what has no one held a door open for you before, what a sad world.

As for delivery men not helping unfoutunatly most of the time they are not allowed to as once you have recieved it they are no longer insured to handle those goods and if they even pull a muscle its their fault plus they are not allowed to set foot over your door step.
Its a sad world but thats what a sue happy world has reduced things to

You should shop with Ocado; they bring your bags into the kitchen. They always help out :)

And apparently the weeing in a policeman's helmet thing is because pregnant women are exempt from public decency laws, so can urinate in public, pretty much anywhere. It's been twisted to 'even in a policeman's hat!' and it stuck.

The general public seem to be the rudest to ppl with small children, prams and the pregnant!

Ive never expected special treatment but it's so annoying when ur heavly pregnant and get on a bus and no one moves for u, and even worse when they stare at ur bump so they no ur pregnant!
I was 37 ish weeks pregnant with Corey and needed to go hospital so I got on the bus with Zane. I needed to take his pram just incase. I then had a man at the stop carry zanes buggy and then a young lad gave up his seat. It made my day.
But then other times ive had ppl again just staring at us n not even moving an inch to make it just abit easier for us.

It's common curtisy and manners that are missing these days

sadly times have changed and the truth of it is its not often ANYONE holds the door open for anyone else.
I was coming out of a shop the other day and held the door open for a elderly lady to come in before I exited and she just looked at me in complete shock and said thankyou, I couldnt help think what has no one held a door open for you before, what a sad world.

As for delivery men not helping unfoutunatly most of the time they are not allowed to as once you have recieved it they are no longer insured to handle those goods and if they even pull a muscle its their fault plus they are not allowed to set foot over your door step.
Its a sad world but thats what a sue happy world has reduced things to

They are suppose to deliver to your fridge if you want so they are allowed in your house they just didnt for me just dumped on door step and made a rush of it and off they went. I had to carry it all in to kitchen and there where no bags when I asked for them so it made it harder for me to pick it all off the floor. My OH when he wasnt around to help would go mad that none of them helped me.

I must say I do get doors held open for me but its always from older men. I always thank and hold doors open for other people. I dont feel right walking through people . I know so many people that have an attitude "no one helps me why should I help them" well if you think like that no one will help any one then, someone has to make an effort for others to. I know my son says please and thanks when he takes something from me and helps me up to, its because he was helped. Maybe theres a lack of empathy in society due to the way people are brought up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->