Are you considered 'high risk' after a premature baby?

iluvcocopops

Mum to Molly-Rose
Reaction score
My last baby was born 5wks early. I had her in a hospital that had a neonatal department onsite. I had requested to be booked into the same hospital with this next baby, but for some reason they have booked me into a different midwife led hospital for low-risk pregnancies with no neonatal care.

Why would they do this?
Has this happened to anyone else?

I don't know, i would assume as i have had friends who delivered premature babies that you would be "high risk" like they were?!! I would call the mw and ask why you have not been flagged as hr!

I don't live in the UK so I can't really comment on why they would have done what they did. I do know that you should be considered high risk after having a premature baby though. My baby was born 3 months premature and they had to do a whole treatment plan for me for this baby.

Should you go into labour early would they just not tell you to go to a different hospital? Im not sure about how it works where you are but my best friend had a baby at 29 weeks but is now going to be giving birth in a birthing centre but obviously if she goes into labour early she has to go to the main hospital instead where they have a baby care unit. At least in our area it doesn't seem to mean your classed as high risk. Can you phone your midwife and ask?

Should you go into labour early would they just not tell you to go to a different hospital? Im not sure about how it works where you are but my best friend had a baby at 29 weeks but is now going to be giving birth in a birthing centre but obviously if she goes into labour early she has to go to the main hospital instead where they have a baby care unit. At least in our area it doesn't seem to mean your classed as high risk. Can you phone your midwife and ask?

The women i know have had extra scans and steroid injections after early births....

The women i know have had extra scans and steroid injections after early births....

She's not even consultant lead care. The hospitals in our area leave a lot to be desired. The care you receive seems to depend on the postcode lottery of which health trust your under. It sucks. I went into labour with my son at 30 weeks, they thankfully stopped the contractions but it's not even written on my notes. Have to keep reminding them!

If you have a premature baby once you are at higher risk for having another premature baby. That is why all women who have had preemies before should be considered high risk automatically.

My son was 7 weeks early. He was my 2nd pregnancy. This is my 3rd and although I haven't been to see my dr yet (won't see me till after 8 weeks) I feel like they won't classify me as "high risk". My daughter, first pregnancy, was 3 weeks early but I went into preterm labor with her 5 weeks early, though my water didn't break and they were able to stop it.
I firmly believe that some women just aren't able to carry babies to term. My sister had 4 children and all hers were early. 2 of them having to spend time in a NICU. My mom stated all of her children were early (4 of us) although not early enough to merit a NICU stay. My son was in NICU for a month and my daughter didn't have to at all.
Should be interesting to see what happens with this baby but I just feel for whatever reason that my body won't let me carry to term.
I have never been considered "high risk".

She's not even consultant lead care. The hospitals in our area leave a lot to be desired. The care you receive seems to depend on the postcode lottery of which health trust your under. It sucks. I went into labour with my son at 30 weeks, they thankfully stopped the contractions but it's not even written on my notes. Have to keep reminding them!

Terrible, that must be frightening xxx

I will give them a call tomorrow & discuss my concerns. I would rather have the neonatal unit on site just in case it is needed. The midwife led unit doesn't offer epidurals neither & I had to have one with my last labour (which lasted about 24hrs), so I would prefer to have the option of that as well if required. The hospital I had requested is in my area & about 7miles from my house. Just so confused as to why my requested hospital was now given...they better not tell me they are over subscribed!

My son was 7 weeks early. He was my 2nd pregnancy. This is my 3rd and although I haven't been to see my dr yet (won't see me till after 8 weeks) I feel like they won't classify me as "high risk". My daughter, first pregnancy, was 3 weeks early but I went into preterm labor with her 5 weeks early, though my water didn't break and they were able to stop it.
I firmly believe that some women just aren't able to carry babies to term. My sister had 4 children and all hers were early. 2 of them having to spend time in a NICU. My mom stated all of her children were early (4 of us) although not early enough to merit a NICU stay. My son was in NICU for a month and my daughter didn't have to at all.
Should be interesting to see what happens with this baby but I just feel for whatever reason that my body won't let me carry to term.
I have never been considered "high risk".

I definitely think that there is something in this. One of the mums from the school my kids go to has had most if not all of her 5 kids by 34/35 weeks I think? I figure her body just decides it is done early. Whereas I am a 42 weeker, or have been with the three I have had.

That said, one of my fave people had her first baby at 27 weeks, if I recall correctly she was monitored as though high risk of it happening again and then her second was overdue! None of us could believe it!

At the time the doctors couldn't give an explanation as to why I had gone into labour early, but I clearly remember 2 days before she was born telling my husband that I was ready to have the baby now. I'm quite small & petite & my baby was nearly 6lb 5wks early, so part of me sometimes just thinks that she was ready. My husband comes from a very tall family & he himself was 8lb 4wks early, so I am mentally preparing myself for another big baby.

My first baby was 38.5 weeks, My 2nd baby was 37 weeks, 3rd baby was 36 weeks, my 4th baby was 37 weeks and I was considered High risk with him. I had to get weekly shots to prevent preterm labor with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->