Are you ladies eating properly in first tri?

Dia0624

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering how everyone's been eating during pregnancy. I feel like I am not consuming enough vegetables, I try but it just doesn't happen everyday. There will be days where I only eat rice with lentils, chicken 1-2 times a week, avocado toast etc. But veg dishes I consume maybe 2-3 times a week. Like I don't have a daily spinach intake for example. I try to incorporate veggies in pasta, or carrots as a snack and some sort of fruit on a daily basis but I don't think I'm doing a good enough job. What do you guys eat to make sure you follow a good diet? Oh and I tried for some time to eat salads at lunch but that just doesn't cut it for me, I'm hungry an hour later. I take vitamins and a glass of milk daily. Is that enough? I don't like fish and eggs are making me feel sick at the moment. All I feel like eating is pizza cake and French fries. Horrible I know! It's been hard to eat healthy. Looking for yummy ideas. :) thanks!

I completely understand! Normally I am super strict with my diet, only fruits, veggies and lentils or other grains. I don't really eat processed foods, and eat salad at least 5 times a week. BUT during pregnancy salad is the first thing to go. I can't stand It. I can't stand veggies either....luckily I still like fruit. I just tried to get veggies In where I can. I find I can have spinaxh shakes, so I do that as well. The vitamins are good...and Im just hoping this doesn't last too long. I would just keep doing what you're doing, don't stress too too much...but do what you can!

How far are you?

I'm not as good as I hope to be, but I'm starting tomorrow by planning my meals a bit more. Even if it's just some meat and two veg. I've also stocked my desk up at work with bananas, apples and grapes as when I'm at work I have to eat what I take as there is nothing else. I've also started freezing portions of what I make us for tea and taking that to work as my lunch; I realised how much oh and I were overeating because I thought "oh there's just a little spag Bol left" when in actual fact it was plenty for another portion!

I'm far too hungry at the minute to think too much if I'm honest, I was the same when pregnant with dd. I eat every minute of the day. I'm trying to make sure I'm drinking plenty of water and trying to alternate biscuits with fruit!

I can barely eat at all! I'm trying to eat as healthy as I can and have been having a fruit smoothie every day with spinach and other dark greens in it. I haven't had dinner in almost a week as I just can't look at food later in the day.

Smoothies sound like a good idea. I've never had vegetable smoothie before so I think that would be an excellent way of getting my daily intake of spinach and other greens.

I had great plans of being healthy but ms all day has changed that , I can only eat what I feel like at the time which more often than not isn't healthy :( but i plan on once I get past this stage to eat better .

I do smoothies on the weekends but am too busy dip urging the weekdays for them. The problem I think is getting enough iron as iron deficiencies in pregnancy has been linked to learning disabilities & ADHD by The World Health Organisation. So every morning I take a wee bit of liquid iron in Orange juice (NO milk or dairy with iron!!) and I take my calcium at night. I def don't eat perfect but when you take iron everyday (and hopefully not by pill form or you'll be terribly constipated) you have to eat vegetables to ensure you keep things moving, if you eat too much bread or rice and not enough veg with the amount of iron that pregnant women need you won't be able to poop for days:haha:

Btw if we were to try to consume the amount of iron via food source that pregnant ladies need it's 28-30 heaping plates of spinach, every day! Spinach (non-haem source of iron is hard to absorb too, it's easier to get it from red meat (which I just don't eat very frequently).

I'm the opposite -- once the nausea hits the only thing I can really stomach is salad and greens. I remember when I was pregnant with DS lying in bed and drooling at the thought of the head of iceberg lettuce in the fridge. I used to rip it off and eat it by the handful.

I've eaten a whole cucumber today and 3 or 4 raw carrots, but only had a nibble of chicken breast before I was done with it.

Oh wow .. That's a whole lot of iron we need. I'll ask my doc about a suppliment as she told me not to take anything other than the prenatal.

Lol invevoveritas I wish I had your problem!! I guess I have to force myself to eat it.

I cannot stomach cooked vegetables right now. I made a stir fry the other night and it made me so sick. Makes me sick thinking about it actually. So I've been eating raw celery, broccoli, cucumber and carrots with a spinach dip. Doesn't make me feel sick. I've been craving lots of sweets and have kinda been letting myself have them once in awhile. But I'm trying to eat a balanced diet. It can be hard when cravings take over :)

Dia, I normally like my raw veg, but not to this extent!

I wonder if it's something physiological or whether it's mental, my brain telling me that I need to be healthy for the baby. Whichever it is, I'm taking it.

Im trying to eat well... meats and veggies... Fruit has also been a favorite of mine.. but I am drawn to sweets... Had a craving for a warm chocolate cookie yesterday and DH brought home a huge container of cookies... LOL

My primary dr did said i was slightly anemic and I tried eatting spinach lastnight (which I usually love) and I just couldnt stomach it.. uuuugh... What other good ways are there to get iron while pregnant other than spinach?? I dont have my OB drs appt until April 10th..

For iron I would say chicken, beans and cereal. I get the Cheerios multi grain and they are good. Oh also I don't know if you guys know this already but sunflower Seeds are great for folic acid and vitamin e. Eating one or two handful a day is enough I think.

I've been googling smoothie recipes and will go grocery shopping soon. Hopefully I can take down smoothies let's see. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks everyone. Seems like everyone struggles with food. I guess as long as we are mostly eating good stuff rather than junk food we should be ok :)

I'm eating everything I can, it's not always healthy :( I am really hoping that once I get into the 2nd trimester, MS will die down & I can eat better again. I used to love fruits, salads etc.. But I just can't stomach any of it any more! The only veg I can eat is peas!! Argh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->