Are you planning on working from home/pt?

Amygdala

Reaction score
Hey!
I'm a worrier and one of the things I worry about is money. DH has a stable job but his income isn't massive, maybe just enought to survive on as a couple but would be very tight as a family. He would get ctc I guess but I don't really want to rely on state money. My income would be somewhat better if I got a ft job but who'd be looking after LO? Plus I don't really want to be away from LO that much. Pt work in my field is hard to get though SO I was wondering if anyone is planning on getting (or already has) a baby friendly job when LO is here? Anyone working from home? Doing what? Are you enjoying it?

Hiya,

i work ft at the moment. I am an accountant/bookkeeper. When i am lucky enough to have a LO i will work pt. I want to cut to 3 days a week which means 15 hours less than i do now - iv worked out i will get enough to pay in to the joint account each month to still pay the mortgage etc. Im not sure about childcare though - i know my mom will be willing to help out as she doesnt work but im not sure she would do 3 days a week. I guess its something i will have to look in to once im pg as i dont even know if my boss will let me work pt. The joy of my job is i can work from home if i want too which will be great when i have an extra work load or need to work at home for whatever reason.

A baby friendly job is a good idea if your job wont suit you when a LO one comes along.

I worry about money to and my OH is always telling me not too. I know we will always get through - you get used to what you have dont you

xxxxxx

Wish i could but its impossible to work from home with my job

I work part time and love it as it gives me a nice family/work balance thats right for me. Isla gets to spend one of the days with daddy and the other two at nursery with all the other kiddies which she enjoys and I think is good for her. I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't go part time... I think I'd tell OH that he'd have to be a stay at home dad because I wouldn't want Isla in care full time.

I quit my full time job end of 2008 and have been working from home since Jan 2009. I have a small in home daycare. I LOVE it, i dont even know if i could go back to a 'real' job lol But i did it in anticipation of ttc in Ocotber 2010. I want to be home with my LO when the time comes, but i couldnt just let the hubby work work work and me stay home and not bringing in some income. I LOVE what i do and am so glad i did it!! Its LONG days and 6 kids 2 and under can be a handful at times, but i wouldnt change it for the world!! :o)

The trouble with the jobs that you work around children is that they're not terribly inspiring - or at least I don't think so anyway :nope: A quick search in google brings up thinks like kitchen gadget parties, selling children's books and so on, and all though I'm sure they're enjoyable they just seem like means to an end to me *sigh*

I suppose other alternatives are working evenings and/or weekends, but then that cuts back on time with your OH doesn't it...

I already work part-time so that's not an issue for me as I could just go back to my current job, assuming I want to of course! Only thing with that is that most of what I earn would be swallowed up by childcare costs, so I would only go back to work if I felt I needed the time to myself. We can just about manage on DH's salary alone, but we'd struggle if something big came up, like an expensive car repair, boiler needed replacing and so on...

I don't know what the answer is!

Well in my case we can live great off my husbands income both now and when we have a child. But I do not like the idea of me not bringing in income...its both of us in our marriage, why should he be the only one having to work?? So, i found something that would do that and allow me to be home with our little one when the time comes.

i decided when i lost my last job i would look into homeworking and i now work from home full time selling holidays - i decided to do that because of the same reason you do - when i have a lo i can go back p/t when lo is still very young - the only thing that will effect me is its classed as self employed so i have to save enough money now to cover my maternity leave and to cover my half of the bills and i will have to claim statury maternity as well - The great thing is that i know that wont be forever having to claim and i will be at home with the lo.

xx

I'm working PT.. the option for FT is available to me, but it's a low wage, I'd come out with almost nothing after childcare was paid for... not worth it to me.

I went back to work three days a week when my LO was 3 months old. We were saving for our house at the time so we needed lots of extra $$$. It was hard sometimes but at the same time it was nice to have adult conversation.

But I do not like the idea of me not bringing in income...its both of us in our marriage, why should he be the only one having to work??

Trust me... being a stay at home mum is definately work!! :wacko:

I sort of see it the other way around. I think if you have the luxury of being financially able to stay at home then it's one of the best things you can do for your child and your partner should be happy for you to do so. I'd be happy for my DH to stay at home with our LOs and he'd be happy for me to do the same, but unfortunately we won't be able to afford that for very long. But if one of us earned enough money, then why should be both work and have LO looked after by a stranger? :shrug:

If money would permit I would love to be able to go part time, there is a lot of saving and number crunching to be done but we shall see.. hopefully early next year I will be able to clear a few things on finance and go from there, I think I will probably end up going back full time and maybe changing my hours to part time but it all comes down to money at the end of the day.. :cry:

I'm hoping to work from home - I'm lucky that I have a really interesting job that allows homeworking, and it's shift work too, and obviously flexible working is available, which means it's easier to fit around childcare. I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't go back to work, so it's certainly something DH & I have to keep in mind before we start TTC.

Hope you don't mind me butting in from 3rd tri :baby:

I went through this same dilemma in 2008, when I was "WTT". I did change careers just so I could work from home!

My current career is as a 911 operator/dispatcher (ending in 10 weeks), so obviously I can't do that from home. Since I already have a university degree in English/Linguistics/etc (General Studies), I went back to school part-time in 2008-2009 to obtain my certificate to teach ESL (English as a Second Language).

I plan to teach part-time from home, either online or through private lessons. I do not need to work outside the home but I do want to make sure I have my bases covered, right?

It wasn't easy going back to school part-time to upgrade (it cost me $10,000!) while working full-time, but after I finished my certificate, I got pregnant with LO and now I'm glad I did!

Good luck! You can change careers drastically or you can find something similar, it's all up to you :) But it CAN be done :thumbup:

I am lucky enough that i do not have to work, but i want to bring in income. So that is why i quit my ft corp job and am now a stay at home wife and i care for children at my home. This way I can be home when the time comes for LO because i do NOT want a stranger raising my child. I just dont like the fact of my husband working hard while i just sit at home all day. So this is the best of both worlds, i bring in just a lil more money than he does (hehe) sitting at home caring for others children. I LOVE it and wouldnt change a thing!

Wish i could but its impossible to work from home with my job

That's sort of what my question was about. Would you get another job you can do from home?

No because it would involve retraning and that would be a lot of faf on. I also couldent do an office based job, i need to be doing something

As a Nursery nurse I wouldn't say that a stranger is bringing up your child, to start with maybe yes! But you get to know the children and parents you work with and build up great relationship. We are all strangers to start with, but our children are going to get taught by strangers all their life.
Personally I would want to stay home the first year or 18 months only because I think children less than 1 shouldn’t be at nursery. I know that some people have to go back to work, but I think if you can stay home at least the first year you should :). The nursery I work in now only take children from 18 months which is perfect, just the right age.

Hope you don't mind me butting in from 3rd tri :baby:

I went through this same dilemma in 2008, when I was "WTT". I did change careers just so I could work from home!

My current career is as a 911 operator/dispatcher (ending in 10 weeks), so obviously I can't do that from home. Since I already have a university degree in English/Linguistics/etc (General Studies), I went back to school part-time in 2008-2009 to obtain my certificate to teach ESL (English as a Second Language).

I plan to teach part-time from home, either online or through private lessons. I do not need to work outside the home but I do want to make sure I have my bases covered, right?

It wasn't easy going back to school part-time to upgrade (it cost me $10,000!) while working full-time, but after I finished my certificate, I got pregnant with LO and now I'm glad I did!

Good luck! You can change careers drastically or you can find something similar, it's all up to you :) But it CAN be done :thumbup:

That's interesting to hear what you're planning to do. Definitely something to consider - I've been thinking I want to retrain to do something else... I've got a few things I'm thinking about at the moment as although I enjoy my current job, I don't want to stay doing office work forever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->