Are you testing?

Clartylou

Mummy to Samuel, Pgt no#2
Reaction score
Are you testing for abnormalities such as downs syndrome etc??

My MW asked me today and I could feel myself getting upset thinking about it, she was saying women ask her why they would need to be tested if they had no plans to terminate the pregnancy.

I told her I would need to get back to her as I would need to discuss with H. I'm not sure if I want to test as I have heard that it can cause miscarriage and also the results are not 100% accurate.

Clartylou x

Personally, no, I'm not testing. I would not terminate the pregnancy for any reason so I'd rather not find out and enjoy my pregnancy. My SO feels the same way thankfully.

Yes I am testing.
And the only time it could cause miscarrige is when they do the 2nd test(if needed)
The first is a combination of ultrasound and blood test also known as screening test and they tell you how likely your baby is to have down syndrome eg 1 in 300 if it is that or higher such as 1 in 50, thats when they offer the 2nd test also know as Diagnostic test which can cause miscarrige.
I wouldnt have an abortion either way but atleast I can prepare myself if it will have any disabitlites
X

My doctor asked me about these test yesterday and he told me im still young enough to not be at risk for the baby having downs, I told him I didnt want those test done anyway , I would not terminate the pregnancy no matter what , Im so inlove with this baby already and if it had something wrong Id still love it the same.

Yes, I've got my test and scans next Tuesday. I'd rather get all the help going and be fully informed throughout my pregnancy.

I was offered the combined test at the same time as my 12 week dating scan and it was included with the blood tests that I had done. As LongRoadAhead says there's no danger with the scan combined with the blood test to the baby, only if you go forward with cvs or amniocentesis. I agree that it's a sensible precaution to take whatever you plan to do with the results.
Em x

Hi,

I've had my bloods and am having my nuchal, combined with dating scan, on thursday. I only opted for these as its no danger to the baby, not sure what i'll do if I come back high risk, but either way I wont be aborting my baby, just having the first tests to put my mind at ease and get prepared more than anything else.

No, not having anything other than the normal blood tests and scans done.

I will have the nuchal test done. Like i said before i have had high risk in 2 out of 3 pregnancies. They say the older you are the higher the risk but i was 16 years old and had a risk of 1 in 110 of my son having Downs. I went on to have the amnio twice and have 3 healthy children now. The risk of miscarriage from amnio is approx 1 in 100 but i had complete bed rest and was well looked after. My best friend refused the nuchal test 2 years ago and went on to give birth my my God-daughter Angelika who has Downs Syndrome. She is a beautiful child but my friend has gone through so much, and obviously her condtion was a complete shock to find out at delivery. Personally i would want to know so i could prepare myself.

I personally have never and wouldn't test because i wouldn't consider termination and i dont want the extra stress.......

......i have full respect for women that do, some just want to know all they can so they can be prepared, others have diffrent reasons, Its all personal choice.

IMO you have to do whats right for you xxxxxxx

I was saying No to the triple test, as a few of you said, your in love with bean now and couldnt do a thing about it. But I have read somewhere that a woman was given a 1 in 3 risk of having her baby have DSynd. She has 4 children now and none of them have it. So it's a seriously worrying thing that needn't have caused worry? Im still undecided but think I will be sticking to the above. Any more info frm people would be lovely

I personally will be having the nuchal fold/blood test and amnio if I need to as I am 35yrs and would prefer to know what I am letting myself in for, don't know how I would feel about it but it's important for me to know and then deal with it. my friends little girl has downs and she decided not to do any tests but knowing what she has to go through on a daily basis I would have to know, i don't like surprises. my sis had a 1 in 150 chance after the nuchal and went on to have amnio all was fine she had plenty of bed rest and didn't work for a week. At the end of the day its a personal decision

I am having the screen done. I would never terminate but would want to know so that I could prepare, research etc.

I am having the test - My uncle was born with severe spina bifida, and I know that my Grandma gave up the first 4 years of his life, to be by his side continuously in hospital - Sadly my uncle died at the age of 29 - but I know from first hand experience the difficulties that are presented to a family with a disabled child, My uncle (whom I was extremely close to) had no mental disabilities, and led a 'normal' life ( he deemed it to be normal to him!) and

So, because of family history, and first hand experience of the pressures, I will have the test - and at the moment, would consider termination, but who knows what we will actually decide if the results actually come back high risk - I know it is so much easier to say now, but so much more difficult to make that decision

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->